Hybrid View

Recent series of cuts in the UK

Figured I'd contribute to this new section so I'm picking a topic that's relevant to me.

I'd like to know what the other brits on the site reckon to all these ridiculous budget cuts.
    At first I wasn't all that bothered by any of it except the new 20% VAT/Daylight Robbery Tax, But I saw an MP talking on the news last week, he was saying how important the Citizens Advice Bureau is and as such there had not been any cuts made in funding to them.
    I couldn't help thinking the guy was talking absolute bollocks and contradicting himself.

I worked at Bassetlaw Citizens Advice Bureau last year and have been volunteering there since my contract ended. Thanks to Cameron, the bureau lost 67% of it's main funding which came from the local council, our debt help department has all but gone because FIF (the organization which funds the debt workers) have lost almost their entire budget.
    Also thanks to the cuts, Trading Standards are being pushed on to the bureau and while funding has been put in place for it, It's only going to be enough to set up the call centers, there isn't going to be enough to employ people to man the phones.

Basically, thanks to these cuts, people are going to be out of the job, their debt is going to increase and there will no one to help them because Cameron indirectly made all the fucking debt workers redundant.

I think the government is rushing these cuts, too much, too fast. More harm than good is going to come from it. 'Course the MP's don't give a shit as long as it's not their own wages taking a cut.

Don't worry. The free market will swoop in to help all those who used to use Citizen's Advice. Lawyers aren't that expensive, are they?

This coming from two [censored] who were millionaires at the moment of conception and who's only aim is to reduce their social circle's tax bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    If Pow wrote the manga it would be accurate as fuck lol. I stand behind Pow(while humping his leg) on this one.
    Troll Tagged by Uzumaki_Tim

I hope you don't mind me pitching in. But I take it citizen's advice is akin to debt consolidation lawyers?

Anyways, it's pretty much like the republicans/conservatives here, all these austerity measures are always on the backs of the middle class and the poor, while refusing at all costs to raise the taxes on the rich by a minimal of 3% in order to balance the budget.

The new republican House budget they created for the next fiscal year, absolutely guts everything from the LIHEAP (low income housing energy assistance program) to pell grants (student grants/loans) and much more drastic cuts/non funding to the new healthcare bill. Obama's threatened to veto it, hopefully he has the will to follow thru.

It's always been this way, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, the middle class will be the new poor. UK and US will become banana republics if they aren't already, where less than 2% of the population owns more than 90% of the wealth, less than 5% owns over 95% of the wealth (those are the statistics for U.S right now). It's sad.
    A bridge towards peace; the will of fire still endures!

Rokudaime Hokage, Rokudaime Rikudou Sennin Uzumaki Naruto

You're quite welcome to chip in on it, chief.

The Bureau is a charity organization. It's not specifically for debt advice though, It's a generalist advice service, Only things they can't really offer advice on are financial, because we don't hold a license for it (excluding debt help), and criminal law problems to a certain extent. But because a good 70% of our clients are seeking help with their debt (the other 30% usually being benefit enquiries) the bureau eventually opened up debt help sections which can help clients to produce a financial statement to send to creditors so they can set up affordable repayment plans.
    They help people facing eviction too, and represent them in court when possible.

Veteran Member
    Damn i must be tired.. I thought that said "Recent series of cults in the UK" ... :-/

How much do the rich get taxed, anyway? Wouldnt it be quite a lot? Wonder what the ratio of how much the government earns from taxes on the rich compared to the poor. O.o

I'd assume lower-middle class are getting hit in the pocket just as hard as the working class, but the upper-middle class can afford to just pay accountants to hide their money so it's probably nothing to them.

The cuts are hurting communities as a whole rather than individuals though. Councils are shutting down about 60-80% of the their public services in some places.