Hybrid View

Guitar Hero and True Crime Axed

Today Activision Blizzard announced that it will "disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit" due to the declining interest in the music genre. The company has ceased development on its previously planned 2011 Guitar Hero game.

Additionally, Activision has stopped production on True Crime: Hong Kong. The future of the franchise is unknown. On an earnings call today, an Activision representative said True Crime had been canceled because it "just wasn't going to be good enough."

Although the Guitar Hero business unit at Activision is being shuttered, company executives left the door open for a return in the future, saying the brand would need to be "re-assessed" going forward.

The decision to scrap/halt these franchises was attributed to the "desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences."

There are also rumors circulating via Twitter from a BioWare employee that Freestyle Games, the developer of DJ Hero, was also hit with layoffs. However, it's still unclear whether or not that franchise has also been dropped from Activision's lineup.
    Source: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1148687p1.html

Such a shame, GH was getting old somewhat so Im not to big on that....But True Crime is a wtf to me, Shit looked great and they stop producing it half way, Gay move Activision GAY move

Quote Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
    Got to be Shinhan for me, He dickrides the mods like there's no tomorrow.

They fucked up with GH. Released far too much over too short a time period. Plus considering how much it cost to buy no wonder sales were down.

Never really got into True Crime tbh, but shutting it down halfway through development? Reminds me of Starcraft: Ghost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    If Pow wrote the manga it would be accurate as fuck lol. I stand behind Pow(while humping his leg) on this one.
    Troll Tagged by Uzumaki_Tim

Quote Originally Posted by thsv View Post
    They fucked up with GH. Released far too much over too short a time period. Plus considering how much it cost to buy no wonder sales were down.

Never really got into True Crime tbh, but shutting it down halfway through development? Reminds me of Starcraft: Ghost.
    The gameplay really got me into it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6aniAU2iE

I agree on GH too Wonder if DJ and Rock Band will be hit

Quote Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
    Got to be Shinhan for me, He dickrides the mods like there's no tomorrow.

GH has sucked ever since GHM was released. That was the last good one and the only really great one and worldwide popular one was GH3. Bout damn time they stop disgracing themselves with shitty games. World Tour was terrible, Band Hero was sickening, Smash Hits was just a copy, 5 was just like Band Hero and Warrior of Rock was decent. All and all, the series has sucked since GH3. It's really a sad thing to say that what got the game popular was the most terrible song in existence. Through The Fire And Flames by StudioForce :/

Rock Band shouldn't be going any further as well. They could have stopped at RB2 and just keep releasing NEW DLC as they still do. RB3 has nothing new to it and to be honest, it looks terrible. I don't like it at all. Thankfully, I didn't pay for it. Cause if I knew how bad it was going to be, I wouldn't have asked for it for the holidays.

Rock Band - Beatles is fucking stupid. Game sucks, gameplay sucks more. The Beatles are not a band that makes song that are fun to play. They're a revolutionary band with Drug inspired music that has a slow tempo.

Rock Band - Green Day? Jesus fucking christ what were they thinking? This game makes me want to puke till I have no more fluid left in my body. Bad band, bad songs, bad game 'nuff said

Seeing Guitar Hero discontinued isn't too surprising. It was a novelty act and they oversatured the market with it in too little a timespan. Not to mention Rockband basically made it obsolete and added even more material to the package. Had some fun times with it but can't really say I'm surprised.

True Crime upsets me a bit though. I loved Streets of LA, and despite the fact that it's a GTA clone the gameplay still felt fresh and original with a large focus on physical combat. The story was good, and it was a fun series. Now where there's a gap in between GTA releases would've been the perfect time to release the next insallment which would tide gamers over until the next GTA hit. I only previewed New York but that one seemed even more expansive so I'm bummed about this news.

As long as everything just keeps on flowing forward, then that's already enough.
    Where there's a will there's a way!
    Spoiler!