North American Manga

I'm new into the anime/manga scene so forgive me if this has been answered many of times. I know the answer probably has something to do with licensing, but why is manga so far behind here in North American than in Japan?

I was at Chapters looking at the volumes released and the Shonen Jump magazine released and they are so far behind. What doesn't make sense to me is I think they are losing money because of this. I would love to buy the manga, but what's the point of buying manga that you've already read online?

Even if it takes them a week, hell even a month, to translate Shonen Jump, their sales would increase ten fold. More people would buy the manga considering they only have to wait a week or so instead of waiting a year.

Personally I wont buy any manga considering I've already read it. However if it was released in a respectable time period here in North America I'd probably buy them all no matter the cost.

So why does manga get released so late here in North America? Does somebody have an answer that would make sense to this?

Who cares.

The north america manga sucks. Stick to internet translations.

Colonel of SOS Brigade Kushieda's Avatar
    most likely because it's a small market and they started out way behind, while fans only translate what they want to and have been doing so for a long time. Sure they could probably put out 2 a month for a couple months and catch up, but they probably don't see it as financially benificial.

Most people who don't buy now, probably won't even if they are only a week or 2 behind because most will still read it online first, hence giving them little to no reason to buy.

The people who are currently buying American Jump and other manga probably don't even realize they could get it online for free (illegally), and think they have the latest story lines.

Index by sangaz - All Hail Suzumiya-dono

lol. yeah.

at first I didn't realise you could download it on the internet for free..

and I live in australia, we import the american shonen jump, making us even further behind then you are.

Join the Millenium Earl, at the D.Gray-Man Fan Club

The people who are currently buying American Jump and other manga probably don't even realize they could get it online for free (illegally), and think they have the latest story lines.
    from what i've heard it's not illegal to read online mangas as long as it hasn't been liscensed in the u.s. that's if u live in the u.s. i might be wrong.

CLICK MY SECOND SIG...YOU KNOW YOU WANNA

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaidenlive22 View Post
    from what i've heard it's not illegal to read online mangas as long as it hasn't been liscensed in the u.s. that's if u live in the u.s. i might be wrong.
    my understanding is that the scanlators (as a group, raw provider, scanlator, distibuter) are illegally creating a copy of the manga and sharing it with others.

It wouldn't be a problem if they owned a copy of the original work and only kept it to themselves. But according to copyright laws (at least in the US, not sure what they are in japan or other contries, but I think they are similar) once you give a copy to someone else (while maintaining your own copy, meaning no transfer of ownership of the original) that is when it becomes illegal. If you do transfer ownership, you have to destroy or also transfer ownership of all copies. If you don't do that you are distributing copyrighted material without permission.

From what I've heard, most original distributers (i.e. Jump) "don't mind" because they feel it will help sales once the manga is licensed in other languages.

If it wasn't illegal, you would see places like mangashare hooking up with publishers and selling their work in stores.

Quote Originally Posted by jja View Post
    Most people who don't buy now, probably won't even if they are only a week or 2 behind because most will still read it online first, hence giving them little to no reason to buy.
    I disagree because right now, with how things are, there is no incentive to buy the manga except for collection purposes. However, if the release dates were similar you could buy the manga for both reading and collecting. The biggest thing here is what's the point of buying the manga once you already read it a year earlier?

Yes, people would still download and read the manga online. It's almost a fact that no matter how convenient something is, there will always be people choosing the free option no matter if it was illegal. However, making the release dates similar would be an incentive for people to buy the manga while waiting for the release. The longer you make people wait, the more they will be pushed to find other means of reading.

However saying all that, you never know what would happen. No one can predict the future, we can just analyze the situation and try to predict the outcome.

I can agree with that. I myself would probably buy them if the release date was within a week or two or the Japanese release.

on a slightly different rant:
    Maybe 10 or more years ago US publishers had a bit of excuse as they'd have to wait for shipments from overseas of the original work, but really as we can see with fan scanlations, there is little to no reason that they can't have the releases almost identical to the original publication.

If the american manga was up to date with the manga in japan id definitly buy it.
    Also if it was american then id rather have the ORIGINAL content and not some watered down bullshit. Edited it to much pisses people off like cmx did to tenjho tenge

Made by Gray-Foxx and iThepirate
    Come help us grow! http://mangaseed.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by jja View Post
    Maybe 10 or more years ago US publishers had a bit of excuse as they'd have to wait for shipments from overseas of the original work, but really as we can see with fan scanlations, there is little to no reason that they can't have the releases almost identical to the original publication.
    True, right now there's no wait for anything. For quality releases obviously it'll take longer than a same day translation. There's no reason for them to be waiting so long though and it's really to their disadvantage.