Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfox87 View Post
    There are most plugins available for almost every single browser, one just needs to look harder. The reason is because programmers will just make their own plugin if it doesn't already exist. They then publish their plugins on websites where other users can download it. This is the beauty of customization. Most users, however, will not do this and would prefer an automated plugin downloader, etc. Not everything is perfect in a nice package, that's why one has to take the time to MAKE it perfect for you.
    Generally I agree with you. Chrome is a little different because of their Heavy focus on security, and the way they implement sand-boxing. Some plugins which worked well with firefox work differently with chrome because they don't have the same sort of access to the OS in chrome that they did in IE and Firefox. I am not sure that Chrome will ever allow plugins that enable the user to download just about any type of video, because some videos are RIAA copyright protected, since they have to specifically permit evry plugin that works on Chrome.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    Generally I agree with you. Chrome is a little different because of their Heavy focus on security, and the way they implement sand-boxing. Some plugins which worked well with firefox work differently with chrome because they don't have the same sort of access to the OS in chrome that they did in IE and Firefox. I am not sure that Chrome will ever allow plugins that enable the user to download just about any type of video, because some videos are RIAA copyright protected, since they have to specifically permit evry plugin that works on Chrome.
    http://www.chromeextensions.org/util...ideo-download/
    http://download.cnet.com/Flash-Video...-75327988.html
    http://www.chromeplugins.org/google/...ader-9363.html

Like I said, everything's possible, you just need to look. Ironically, I used google to search for these and were the 1st 3 results I got. Opera has tons too.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently reading/watching:
    One Piece, Naruto, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kenichi, Hajime No Ippo The Rising, Hunter x Hunter

Hey Sadowfox ,

You might be misunderstanding me a little.

I am aware that there are downloaders for Chrome, which work on sites like Youtube and other popular sites. What these downloaders do is that they analyze the popular sites and how videos are coded. The problem starts with web-sites that are less known, for these the coding may not follow the pattern used by YouTube etc, and hence the download fails.

Now, there are programs out there that use detection algorithms that figure out how a video is being streamed, and by detecting this they can download videos from a host of less known sites without hard coding the method used i any given site or sites. My favorite such downloader is called DOWNLOADHELPER. Unfortunately you can't get it for Chrome.

Before I continue, I did visit some of the sites you listed. Yes I was already aware of these sites and the downloaders they have, but let me use the first one you listed to illustrate my point to you. I went to http://www.chromeextensions.org/util...ideo-download/ and the screenshot below is emblematic of my experience with chrome.

1) Gaze down to the comment by ddragoonss.....Apparently Google is removing videodownloaders from their extensions site...ask yourself why.

The answer is simple. Because of Googles high security emphasis, they vett every extension that works on Chrome (I think). This then makes them a) Liable for downloaders that can download videos from commercial sites (copyrighted) and b) Discourage any downloaders that tend to use techniques that are not compatible with chrome's security strategy.

The Upshot of this is that I keep hoping for a universal (or almost universal) downloader to arrive for chrome. In the meanwhile, I'll keep using both Chrome and Firefox so that when I find something interesting I want to capture/download, I'll copy the URL to FF and get it that way.

Well, yea there's always going to be some site that has different coding in which the plugin won't work, but all one needs to do is add a few lines here and there and it should work. I understand that can be difficult for non-programmers, so just request what site you would like to have it work for whatever plugin and they should be able to help. This is pretty much how all plugins work. I've used countless for Opera. If chrome is taking it out, then that's just another reason why I don't use chrome.

There's no perfect browser, each one will fail on a website, that's what I stated in my previous post and that's why the user has to customize the browser so it works for them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently reading/watching:
    One Piece, Naruto, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kenichi, Hajime No Ippo The Rising, Hunter x Hunter

There was a time when I switched from Firefox to Chrome and stuck with it for a long, long time. But there're always those websites you can only open with certain browsers (eg. university campus), so I didn't get rid of Firefox at all. Then FF came up with the new look, and I loved it. Chrome is usually way faster, but Firefox makes me feel more comfortable, it feels nicer, it's aesthetically cooler... I guess I even feel loyalty towards Firefox nowadays.

It is not personalized at all, no addons nor plugins nor themes, so it's kind of pointless to upload an screenshot, it's the default Firefox design with the bookmarks toolbar visible!

I don't like either chrome or firefox they tend to lag me out due to the limits of my shitty computer's RAM which is 1.5gb. The only browser that I like and works well with my specs is Opera it is fast and very relibale unlike chrome and the resource hog Firefox.

Retired Administrator
    Opera is good, however they recently stopped making their own rendering engine and will be implementing WebKit iirc.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

Quote Originally Posted by Woofcat View Post
    Opera is good, however they recently stopped making their own rendering engine and will be implementing WebKit iirc.
    BTW. It's been a while Woofcat

I'd like to use Chrome all the time, but I still find some annoyance with lack of Video Downloaders, and those which exist won't work on YouTube. As a result I switch back and forth from Chrome to firefox. There are only a few annoyances which prevent me from 100% Firefox, Such as having to restart for updates. Admittedly it's not much of an annoyance.

A part of me sees Google as The New Microsoft, who use search advertizing to appear benevolent where money loving is concerned.

Retired Administrator
    Haha, indeed it has been awhile Paulbee.

Chrome will never have those download extensions due to the restrictions placed on the API that developers can use. I keep Firefox around simple to use 'DownThemAll' and that's it.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

When Google Chrome first came out it was pretty light weight and easy to use, but now it crashes on me lately even after a new download :/