Cartoon Network - The Xbox of Anime

When the Xbox came out, there was a shift in the gaming world from hardcore gaming to casual gaming. No longer was a gamer a person who stayed in his (never "her") bedroom all the time, working for hours to solve one puzzle or go up one level, never showering or wearing deodorant; a gamer was now a person who liked to play Halo and Madden and other games for short periods of time, drink Mountain Dew, and watch women in bikinis mud wrestle. (At least, that's how advertisers saw it.) Definite proof came in the form of Spike TV's Video Game Awards.

Opinions on that matter aside, a similar shift seems to have occurred within the anime community. Anime used to be very underground in the US. Even when it started to become more known, anime fans were still a niche market. Then, Cartoon Network kicked its programming into high gear, with Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing, and Naruto. While CN had been showing other series for a while, including the classic Sailor Moon, those DBZ, Wing, and Naruto propelled the popularity of anime through the roof. At least, somewhat.

Now, everyone knows what anime is, from five-year-olds to fifty-year-olds. Whether the people like anime or not, they know what it is. Anime has become incredibly popular among teens and preteens, spawning numerous knock-offs, not many of which are good, including Kappa Mikey, Shuriken School, and too many other pieces of crap on Nickelodeon and The Disney Channel to name. Anime merchandise is now sold in general stores now, like Wal-Mart and Hot Topic, instead of specialty shops. There is a huge selection of manga and anime to buy, as well.

The problem is that the "anime-influenced" shows tend to be complete crap, devoid of any originality; all the merchandise is either DBZ, Gundam Wing, Naruto, or Inuyasha-related; and the people who watch anime on CN think that they've seen the best shows ever and know what anime is all about.

Just as a lot of hardcore gamers were upset by the Xbox's popularization of gaming, a lot of anime fans have been upset by the popularization of anime. It seems that the worlds of gaming and anime are no longer subcultures but are instead just parts of the mass culture, which takes away from the uniqueness that belonging to a subculture gives.

Cutting straight to the point now, since I am really tired and can't think too well, is this popularization okay? This should be interesting, since I know there are a lot of the newer anime fans on this site, people who got into anime thanks to CN, and since I know that there are also older anime fans, who perhaps bought VHS tapes from Manga Entertainment, paying $30 for two episodes. (Those bastards . . . )

Should Cartoon Network be loved for making anime popular, or should it be hated? Is CN even the reason anime is so popular now? Would the popularization have happened anyway? And so on . . . Let's just get some discussion going.

(Also, please give me the benefit of the doubt concerning any gaps in my logic and such. I am very tired right now and can better think later, when I can retract and/or change any mistakes.)
    All glory to Haruhi! The one and true God!

Meh, I dont think it makes much a difference for a hard-core anime fan. The great animes will still be there; the only difference now is that there is crap that we just have to ignore. For the record, CN used to be great up until a few years ago, when shit like My Gym Partner is a Monkey and Camp Lazlo started airing. But up until then, I had no problem with it.

To bad like, no one knows that the anime they're watching is edited and they're really missing out (One Piece). =/

The anime on CN used to be great a few years ago like Whitebeard said. Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam, DBZ, Outlaw Star, and all on Toonami that aired every day. Now it's once a week, with shitty edits of Naruto/One Piece and Prince of Tennis. All the other anime is on Adult Swim.

i second that kendoki. when i was in elementary school everyday when i came home i watched all of those. then in 6th grade they had yugio and yu yu hakesho back to back i was loving it.toonami is nowhere near where it used to be

Made by Gray-Foxx and iThepirate
    Come help us grow! http://mangaseed.com/index.php

Colonel of SOS Brigade Kushieda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gdupninja View Post
    i second that kendoki. when i was in elementary school everyday when i came home i watched all of those. then in 6th grade they had yugio and yu yu hakesho back to back i was loving it.toonami is nowhere near where it used to be
    elementary... 6th grade... I feel old now

But on topic, back in JH and HS, I loved watching toonami and would hate it when my parents made me switch to the 6:00 news. I could have watched that all night! I loved catching DBZ and some of the older shows.

I don't think that it's really cartoon networks fault that there is crappy ripoffs. You look at most programming on any channel nowadays, and you'll see crap. I think it's just a general trend in American culture to watch completely brain dead shows with horrible plot, acting, and overall content.

Index by sangaz - All Hail Suzumiya-dono

yeah im only 16 im a young dude but anyway i try to get the dvds of all those when i can. got a hmoeboy burning the uncut version of dragon ball z for me(i dont know which episodes)
    Im rewatching ruroni kenshin as well renting all the volumes i can from the library.
    i was a jit back then so i wanna watch them again to apperciate them and fully understand them

Made by Gray-Foxx and iThepirate
    Come help us grow! http://mangaseed.com/index.php

I didnt have CN as a kid b/c my parents didnt have satalite tv sort of money, but maybe at least 1 out of 5 people that watch anime on CN might go on to find they enjoy the more niche anime.

more the merrier i say:d as long as they dont think they know it all after watching 1 dubbed ep of naruto

i think that anime has always been known about- but under the label of "japanese cartoons; japanime" or described as "like sailor moon or hello kitty", just now that there are more popular mainstream shows (naruto, inuyasha, haruhi, death note, etc)- anime is becoming a quickly expanding industry (and american knock-offs come from corporations wanting to tap into that audience).

and yes, i think it's great that anime is getting more recognized in mainstream culture; although the downside is that a lot of credibility is lost, and you get a lot of posers. i think that the more money that is spent on buying anime encourages US anime distributer/licensors to pick up better/high quality series and making high quality dubs rather than just picking up a series that will make a lot of money.

and yeah, toonami from back in the day was really awesome! i used to watch sailor moon and tenchi muyo and outlaw star and cowboy bebop. and some others too probably. it's been a while. lol.

The Irish Cougar MountainLionLink's Avatar
    yawn...I'm really too old, since I remember the original cartoon network shows before they went anime copy paste on everything.

Of course I remember seeing Sponge Bob back when it first premiered on Nick.

It's America, the land of the stupid and uneducated. Deal with it, since it has been like this for almost everything that has gained any form of widespread attention. Who here clearly remembers the Macarena back when it came out and then the following horror?

Give enough time, the trues fans will reveal themselves and all these fakes will move on.
    HALO
    It's just the Metroid series remade for the Xbox crowd.
    However Samus Aran is now some unknown low ranking military personal.
    Also the space pirates worship some giant doomsday hula hoop machine.

Currently Reading
    Karakuri Circus, Mx0, Red River, Rosario+Vampire, One Piece

Nintendo Wii Friend's number

Is quisnam nihilum vincet atticus's Avatar
    HAI
    CAN I HAS RAMBLE?

i don't know how old everyone here is but, here's the way i see it.

i like beer. i also like wine. this is why i mentioned age. anyway, i enjoy drinking a beer or a glass (ok i'll be honest, its usually more than just one lol) of wine, and i enjoy it regardless of its "quality" or "caliber" most of the time. what i mean is that i can enjoy a bud light, or a coors, or a wine cooler, or box-wine sometimes. i also enjoy drinking what would be considered a "high quality" beer or wine. it generally doesn't matter too much to me, i simply enjoy the taste, the aroma, the feeling of it in your mouth. it could be a wine from a local winery (i live in california) or beer from a brewery located a few towns over. it could be a wine from australia, south africa, france, italy, spain, argentina, chile or portugal or a beer from a country halfway across the world. would i enjoy the it same or understand the subtle differences in the wine caused by the use of different grapes the same way a wine connoisseur would? probably not. the same goes for beer, or, really, anything.

its the same thing with anime or videogames. what you're talking about, to me, sounds like elitism. yea, maybe dbz, gundam wing (which im currently rewatching, thank you OZC), inuyasha and naruto aren't the best anime out there; but the "best anime" is a personal and relative thing. it depends on how you define "best". To me, the "best" is something that is overall enjoyable as im not a person that likes to stick to certain genres. that could mean the best anime to me could be action, romance, comedy or anything beyond and in between. the fact that anime is more popular doesn't make anime any better or worse. it simply means its more known.

but if you can't understand my point, don't care about my point, or otherwise dislike what im trying to say; remember that by knowing about anime that's beyond what CN broadcasts, you're better than those who don't in at least that one way. define what anime is for yourself and anything outside of that simply anime is not. i simply can't understand the mentality of "i liked <he, she, it, them, that> before they were 'cool'" as if something that is now a bigger part of mass society somehow lost importance or value, which is something i find a lot with music when an indie band ends up "selling out".
    The problem is that the "anime-influenced" shows tend to be complete crap, devoid of any originality; all the merchandise is either DBZ, Gundam Wing, Naruto, or Inuyasha-related; and the people who watch anime on CN think that they've seen the best shows ever and know what anime is all about.
    What's the problem with the crap shows? theres crap everywhere. will more crap really make any difference? originality? what kind of originality do you want? do you want "true" originality? something that is not based on anything and has no influences but is truely new and incomparable to anything else? or do you want a more realistic form of originality, one where something similar but refreshingly different is created? the only problem with those new shows being created is the economic system that has spread throughout the world. aside from that, the crap shows will only remain crappy for a certain amount of time. those crap shows are the first draft from a new US-based anime industry, you just have to wait for the industry to mature. already from this new industry we got Avatar: The Last Airbender, a show that has clear anime influences but is clearly not anime. also, remember samurai jack? that show was awsome.

Just as a lot of hardcore gamers were upset by the Xbox's popularization of gaming, a lot of anime fans have been upset by the popularization of anime. It seems that the worlds of gaming and anime are no longer subcultures but are instead just parts of the mass culture, which takes away from the uniqueness that belonging to a subculture gives.
    subcultures are by definition parts of mass culture. but ignoring that, anime itself is not part of mass culture, at least not in the US. when you have anime being broadcast the major networks (NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX) during primetime hours i'll consider it part of the larger culture. most of the anime we get coming over to the US and being broadcast on CN tends to be the anime that is most likely to make money and generally only fall into a few genres, the largest being action.

Should Cartoon Network be loved for making anime popular, or should it be hated?
    Neither, they were simply thinking with their wallets.

Is CN even the reason anime is so popular now? Would the popularization have happened anyway?
    i dunno and, yes popularization would have happened anyway simply because of the way humanity is becoming more connected and globalized.

(Also, please give me the benefit of the doubt concerning any gaps in my logic and such. I am very tired right now and can better think later, when I can retract and/or change any mistakes.)
    Only if you give me the same liberty as i am in the same position as you.

:clicks "Preview Post" and reviews:

KTHXBYE

EDIT: AHHH you made me forget why it was that i was in the general anime forum
    I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.

You all still have Zoidberg!