View Poll Results: Wikileaks outcome

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wikileaks is Evil

0 0%
  • Wikileaks has helped the world voice its concerns regarding freedom of speech

7 77.78%
  • Assange is worthy of the death penalty

0 0%
  • The US will extradite Assange

0 0%
  • England will deport Assange to Sweden

0 0%
  • People will die as a result of the leaks

1 11.11%
  • People will die as a result of the leaks

1 11.11%

Thread: Wikileaks

Hybrid View

Lollipop Candy ♥BAD♥ girl daz bonez's Avatar

Wikileaks

i`m surprised no one talked about this yet,well i`m not too interested in the ethical concerns or security questions raised by the leak. Leaks and whistleblowers always raise the same issues, the only difference now is WikiLeaks can revolutionize the speed and proliferation of released information. It's sad that it's no longer a "Wiki" though.

The leak's contents are MUCH more interesting, I mean the comments border on unbelievable at times. Political big-wigs and powerful diplomats are saying things commonly found on internet forums.

Ahmadinejad is Hitler! rofl

An incredible breakdown of the whole media reaction to Wikileaks yielded a quote that I can pretty much get behind: "One's reaction to WikiLeaks is largely shaped by whether or not one, on balance, supports what the U.S. has been covertly doing in the world by virtue of operating in the dark."

The full article is here, it's an excellent read: http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/gl...ex.html?jgh=jg

here's a log of all the day to day wikileak events.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...les-key-points

Quote Originally Posted by xioaxioa View Post
    Fisher Tiger is a punk ass bitch.

-----credit to Maximo for the kick ass ava----

They're doing it just for the sake of doing it. That's proven by the US cable leaks not being anti-US, but by being anti-everyone.

That, for me, means they're a menace to society. I don't think they thought about the repercussions through.

They just don't understand. There are things we, the government, must keep from you for your own good, as some things are best to never know. Nothing but ill-intentions will/have come from that site. It may seem harmless, but it could cause a lot of people to die.

I Love You!
    Spoiler!

Lollipop Candy ♥BAD♥ girl daz bonez's Avatar
    side note:damn i can`t edit the poll...that`s some repeated question up there......a regular member can`t edit it i guess????

okay from what i see,The US is more afraid of precedent if anything. I'm not going to discount the damage the cables have caused, but they're not the Pentagon Papers. Yet, the ease of Wikileaks releasing them is a huge threat, because the next leak might end up hastening Apocalypsegate or something.

and about the info,I read the Guardian, Reddit, Reuters, a few other sources that have reported or at least commented on the leaks, like Salon, Slate, and Mother Jones. Some really fascinating and interesting stuff in there.'

Like about how Obama together worked with the GOP to kill a Spanish probe into torture during the Bush Administration.

How the US was behind an airstrike that killed 21 children in Yemen.

How the US has been trying to get the Embassy in Madrid to drop charges over a Spanish cameraman that US forces bombed and killed in Baghdad.

About how Afghan president Hamid Karzai is erratic and unstable, more likely to listen to paranoid conspiracy theories from any Jack and Jill than trust even his closest advisors.

About how MASSIVELY CORRUPT the whole of Russia is.

About how Obama was told that all he had to do to get France to stay the course in Afghanistan, despite public opposition and election year woes weighing heavily on Nicolas Sarkozy (and Sarkozy being advised to distance himself from the US to improve his popularity), was give him a very flattering phone call. "Flattery would lead very far."

And all sorts of other interesting tidbits. (Don't even get me started on the Middle East's secret opinions on Iran!)

The Guardian does a summary every day of the key points from the Diplomatic Cables. It's very worth reading if you don't have a lot of time to pour through every article! (wait,you cannot read it do you?)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...les-key-points

Quote Originally Posted by xioaxioa View Post
    Fisher Tiger is a punk ass bitch.

-----credit to Maximo for the kick ass ava----

The idea that Gov't officials should not be able to communicate privately amongst themselves on nitty-gritty matters is beyond stupid.

In my house I am able to speak confidentially with my wife and kids about Uncles, Aunts, Cousins, other relatives and about neighbors. Some of the opinions are downright inflammatory, but that is how we resolve issues.

Now if some BONEHEAD were to spill out the content of our conversations, I assure you that something similar to WW3 will happen, assuming my sister-in-law doesn't burn down my house and run over my dog.

Personally I hate Wikileaks and wish all sorts of bad things to happen to Asinine and his band of Yahoos, I won't vote in the poll, but I am looking closely at that death penalty option.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

It's just glorified gossip-mongering at best.

And gossip never was any good for anything.

I love the work Wikileaks has been doing over the years. They fill a position that not even major media outlets are able to fill anymore. Government pressure on media organizations to keep quiet scandals that transcend individual politicians increases daily.

This is a time where you're put on a government watch list if you're vocal in your protests.

The bullshit that the American government got away with in the name of spreading democracy (i.e. fighting the cold war) needs to be brought to light especially. How the hell are people in a democracy supposed to make informed decisions about who they elect to office when the decisions those public officials make are hidden from us?

Political office is different from familial disputes. Political office can end the world. It is imperative that the public holds these individuals accountable, and since they won't let us know of the atrocities they commit in our names, then we must have independent journalistic organizations like Wikileaks do it for them.

One thing most people forget is that Wikileaks is just something that presents the information. It doesn't commit espionage and attain the information itself. Someone gives the information to Wikileaks, someone who wants the information to be public, and Wikileaks does that for them while protecting their lives.

If the service Wikileaks provides is just gossip monger, then so is every news outlet. They operate under information provided to them by sources, and disseminate that information.

Signature and Avatar courtesy of ImotoChan