Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Retired Administrator

Browser of choice and why?

Hey, since I am currently doing my bi-annual try another browser for a week and see if you can make it, Challenge. I figured I would make a thread here and see if anyone else has some insight.

I normally use Firefox with some customizations. Mainly AdBlock, NoScript, Stylsh, and GreaseMonkey. I also use the build of Firefox that pushes 3rd party plugins like Flash and Silverlight into their own process. So if Flash dies. It does not kill Firefox.

So I am used to my custom web experience. I am right now giving Opera a shot. It is apparently lighter weight, more standards compliant, and have some nifty features.

Currently I am enjoying the build in adblocking (once you figure out how to use it) and the built in Mouse Gestures.

As per normal with my challenge I will be (attempting) to use Opera for a week.

-- tl;dr: I am using Opera for a week, what browser do you use and why? Do you have any extensions that you think the rest of us should know about?
    Last edited by Woofcat; 10-21-2010 at 07:04 AM.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

I use firefox with a lot of different add on that i should probably remove, but firefox been crashing and such for the last few months and taking longer to close and restart... If it keeps it up I might switch to Chrome...

Slovakia, not Slovenia - LEARN THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE !!!
    Opera

It has nice interface, its fast, easy to handle and has many cool features. Never crashes and I have no problems so far what-so-ever(1 year of useage). I can only recommend this browser.
    FAVOURITE MANGAS
    Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Claymore, Ao No Exorcist, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Gamaran, Toriko, Vinland Saga, Gantz, Wolf Guy, Deadman Wonderland, Vagabond, Blade of The Immortal, Battle Royale, Zettman

I'm on the Firefox with Addblock and NoScript bandwagon. I also use an add-on called Rikaichan which translates kanji I don't know if I hover over them with my mouse.

Rikai and AddBlock got ported to Google Chrome as well so I tried that out for a while and although the browser is great in terms of looks it just wasn't as nice to use as Firefox.

I tried Opera a year or so back, mainly to check out the auto dial thingy. The novelty wore off though and I went back to Firefox again.

As for IE, the only thing I like about it that firefox doesn't do is the multi-preview panels you get with multiple tabs in the Windows 7 task bar.

Firefox due to adblock, noscript, greasemonkey, etc.

Never really cared for Opera on my computer, great mobile browser though.

Chrome can go fuck itself.

I'll use IE occasionally, but all in all it's just not a good browser.

Retired Administrator
    Giving Opera a shot, six months ago it was Chrome. I had a hard time dealing with lack of Adblocking that didn't suck horrible and hide elements instead of removing them.

Also, I found it just ... odd.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

Am using Chrome at the moment, I like it easy to use as any other browser. One thing I like about it is as soon as the browser opens, all the sites that I most visit are there on the home page and all I got to do is click on a tab and am at the site. Would try Firefox down the road when I get tired of Chrome. I won't go back to IE though, not a trustworthy browser at all.

Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,

Beer and Music
    Firefox because of the reasons everyone is giving. Plus, i like having my things uniquely, so I've made some Themes for Firefox and plus the add-ons can be real helpful at times.

I've tried Chrome, but I wasn't really feeling it, it's easier to use and all, but eh, I've been using firefox for a very loooong time, it's become my default browser since back when Firefox was released. And screw IE, piece of crap.

EDIT: I'm curious about this Opera browser...I'm downloading it right now.

I've been a Firefox for a long while, even though the recent versions have been crashing a lot. I want to try Chrome, but what Firefox loses in crashing I get in the functionality of its plugins.

Opera is so 90s . I remember using it back on Windows 98. Makes me wonder what's new on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post
    I've been a Firefox for a long while, even though the recent versions have been crashing a lot. I want to try Chrome, but what Firefox loses in crashing I get in the functionality of its plugins.

Opera is so 90s . I remember using it back on Windows 98. Makes me wonder what's new on it.
    Pretty much the same thing for most of us. Chrome looks good.