Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Queen of the Boredom Zone Arhazivory's Avatar
    I'm fortunate enough to not have to fork out money for my blackberry. My company gave us one 2 years ago and next week we'll get a new one. In a job where constant contact is necessary, the BB service is convenient. One monthly cost and you can do everything at no additional cost.

And...if 90% of your friends have blackberrys, you don't spend money to call. BB msg FTW
    ^Birthday Sig & Ava from Mikessc88 <3 v Birthday Sig from Imotochan <3
    Lords of the Boredom Zone: Arhazivory Redsquirrel and Crossx21

Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki_Tim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    I believe that the future of Humanity depends on our ability to use Technology

You said it best Paulbee
    There..You caught me out. This post up was meant as a tongue in cheek Jibe at early adopters of tech.

If I were to be serious, I'd ask why use smart phone with the tiny screens when we have netbooks and cell phones that do the same things better, and cheaper?

The only real advantage of smart phones then would be their everywhere connectivity. Yes of course there are folks whose economic activity requires something like smart phones...I Guess.

But really, aren't we just falling prey to the newest and shinniest device being thrown out there by the folks at Apple Computers and their Me Too cousins?

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post
    Anyway, on a side note, I'm pretty sure most of the money you fork over for smartphones goes to the manufacturers (Over here the most common ones are HTC, Samsung, LG, Blackberry and Apple), not the carriers. Most of them haven't exploited me as of yet.
    Honestly, with Contracts I would disagree.

I spent 300$ on my phone.

I spend 100$ to use my phone every month.

I have had my phone for 17 months. (of my 24 month Contract)

100 x
    ------
    1700$

Quote Originally Posted by [JUiCE] View Post
    Say what?
    Should we take this situation outside?

Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    But really, aren't we just falling prey to the newest and shinniest device being thrown out there by the folks at Apple Computers and their Me Too cousins?
    Yes, but seeing as how I mainly use my phone for fun or as a utility device (mainly through its internet access), and the latest and greatest are the best at filling that niche, is it really such a bad thing?
    Dickriding. Because I appreciate it!
    Spoiler!

"Truth"
    Spoiler!

I have a Blackberry, and the main thing I love about it is getting e-mail. I get a lot of them for school/work and I just feel better being able to stay on top of it instead of getting home, checking my computer and getting all stressed out reading all the e-mails that have built up over the day.

As for the calendar function, I actually prefer having an old school paper planner. Something about writing it down and highlighting and crossing things off when you finish them is more effective for me. But I still love my phone. I like being able to look things up online, set various alarms for myself, etc. And having music is great too.

But I mean, if you've never used one and you're doing fine why waste the money? It's effing expensive, and T-Mobile raised their rates for my plan, so now when I renew my contract I'm gonna have to haggle with them to keep my current one. SIGH

Retired Administrator
    The problem with Paulbee's premise is that states people get new phones whenever a newer phone comes out. While this is true of a lot of the Apple Crowd. The SmartPhone market is much larger than that. I know people who have 3-5 year old smartphones that are still working fine.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

Queen of the Boredom Zone Arhazivory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofcat View Post
    The problem with Paulbee's premise is that states people get new phones whenever a newer phone comes out. While this is true of a lot of the Apple Crowd. The SmartPhone market is much larger than that. I know people who have 3-5 year old smartphones that are still working fine.
    Exactly. If my company wasn't giving me a new smartphone, I wouldn't have felt the need to purchase another because my current one works fine. And on another note, some persons can afford to buy themselves the latest model when it comes out and I don't fault them for wanting something 'shinier'.
    ^Birthday Sig & Ava from Mikessc88 <3 v Birthday Sig from Imotochan <3
    Lords of the Boredom Zone: Arhazivory Redsquirrel and Crossx21

I don't have a smart-phone, but I'm thinking about buying one. As a former engineer and now a med student, using a smart phone in class becomes useful. I can use wiki or google to search some anatomical terms and/or check my email. I can also watch a dissection video on my phone while in the lab. Laptops are too big and you can't hold a laptop and a scalpel at the same time. That goes for netbooks too. Now you're probably wondering, wouldn't an Ipod touch be able to do the same thing? Yes it can and it is $400 cheaper. However, that adds another device whereas an Iphone or any smart phone would be an all-in-one device. All the other features such as GPS, etc. are a plus as well. As for calendars, alarms, accelerometers, flashlights, etc. those things are found in a normal cellphone too. I haven't yet decided if I want to buy an Ipod touch or an Iphone 4 yet.

You're right in that 70% of the population who uses technology does not need it and are buying it because they have the $$. Though, as for giving money to the phone providers, I could care less about that. Buy it if you need it and if a similar device at a cheaper price can provide you the same features, then maybe better to get the cheaper device.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently reading/watching:
    One Piece, Naruto, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kenichi, Hajime No Ippo The Rising, Hunter x Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
    Honestly, with Contracts I would disagree.

I spent 300$ on my phone.

I spend 100$ to use my phone every month.

I have had my phone for 17 months. (of my 24 month Contract)

100 x
    ------
    1700$
    Ah, that makes sense. That doesn't apply to most people over here since most of us pay for phones with cash and use old SIMs.

Veteran Member
    I really dont have a smart phone.. I was actually planning to get one, but i really dont need one.. I have a laptop already.. So id only use the smartphones internet access when im on the go and traveling, which i really dont need.. I dont use emails that much at the moment.. so itd just be a waste of money for a little bit of extra convenience for me.. Right now a phone that can text, call, and have some extra tools like alarms and such is all id need. I know if i actually got a smart phone with internet access and everything that i might actually get used to it so id want to keep it. But they are expensive, so holding out is smarter, for now.

Btw, i can hold my laptop in one hand.. So im pretty sure i could hold a scalpel in the other. :-p Although, itd get pretty heavy(probably..) and it might make maneuvering the scalpel a bit harder.. but even holding a smart phone would make using a scalpel a bit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Shepherd View Post
    Btw, i can hold my laptop in one hand.. So im pretty sure i could hold a scalpel in the other. :-p Although, itd get pretty heavy(probably..) and it might make maneuvering the scalpel a bit harder.. but even holding a smart phone would make using a scalpel a bit harder.
    It's not supposed to be a circus act. Anyone can hold a laptop with 1 hand and a scalpel with the other. Now try doing it for 3-4 hours when you're actually doing surgery/dissection that you could accidentally cut something you shouldn't. You don't want to be holding something heavy and doing a balancing act at the same time. Holding a phone is much lighter. You don't even have to be ambidextrous lol, you use your best hand for the scalpel and the other hand as a holder.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently reading/watching:
    One Piece, Naruto, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kenichi, Hajime No Ippo The Rising, Hunter x Hunter