Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofcat View Post
    The problem with Paulbee's premise is that states people get new phones whenever a newer phone comes out. While this is true of a lot of the Apple Crowd. The SmartPhone market is much larger than that. I know people who have 3-5 year old smartphones that are still working fine.
    For some reason I have never thought of a Blackberry as a Smartphone. I have always seen it more like a work tool. Admittedly I can't specify the differentiation very well.

Having said the above, my query is (in my mind) directed more toward Tap and Swipe phones/pads. In other words, I see no need for Iphones, Ipads, and Android phones.

I really would love to know why people buy these devices seeing that (as I stated) they are expensive, and a Netbook/ regular cell phone do the same job cheaper and better.

I am yet to hear from anyone about their reasons for buying smartphones (minus Blackberrys and other well proven work tools). This is a very good question that should make the reader reflect.

So, what do you use your smartphone for?

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfox87 View Post
    I don't have a smart-phone, but I'm thinking about buying one. As a former engineer and now a med student, using a smart phone in class becomes useful. I can use wiki or google to search some anatomical terms and/or check my email. I can also watch a dissection video on my phone while in the lab. Laptops are too big and you can't hold a laptop and a scalpel at the same time. That goes for netbooks too. Now you're probably wondering, wouldn't an Ipod touch be able to do the same thing? Yes it can and it is $400 cheaper. However, that adds another device whereas an Iphone or any smart phone would be an all-in-one device. All the other features such as GPS, etc. are a plus as well. As for calendars, alarms, accelerometers, flashlights, etc. those things are found in a normal cellphone too. I haven't yet decided if I want to buy an Ipod touch or an Iphone 4 yet.

You're right in that 70% of the population who uses technology does not need it and are buying it because they have the $$. Though, as for giving money to the phone providers, I could care less about that. Buy it if you need it and if a similar device at a cheaper price can provide you the same features, then maybe better to get the cheaper device.
    Wait what? Scapel and itouch? That is badass your like a manga Doctor performing advance surgeries while looking at your itouch to how is done. You take insurance !? Think found myself a new doc.

I don't think those touch phones are worth it, but some people make the most of them besides the majority who just want the latest shiny product out there to show off or w/e the reason.
    It's like a bronze statue.

Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfox87 View Post
    It's not supposed to be a circus act. Anyone can hold a laptop with 1 hand and a scalpel with the other. Now try doing it for 3-4 hours when you're actually doing surgery/dissection that you could accidentally cut something you shouldn't. You don't want to be holding something heavy and doing a balancing act at the same time. Holding a phone is much lighter. You don't even have to be ambidextrous lol, you use your best hand for the scalpel and the other hand as a holder.
    Yeah, i was more joking towards you, why i added a :-p there.. I just wanted to point it out, and while im at it, i might as well add something. Even holding a phone for 3-4 hours straight will get tiring, too.. Wouldnt it be smarter to have a laptop so you can set it down and watch? Although, finding a place to set it down would be the problem, right? But setting a phone down and still watching makes it a bit hard to follow, i believe.. laptop is much bigger, making it easier to follow. But you could hold a phone for longer, and itd be easier, too. Also, would a phone battery last 3-4 hours while playing a video? I know my laptop cant even, although the battery is weaker than it used to be and it wasnt the extended one.. I guess you can buy an extra battery or something though.. But really, how long does a phone last while watching a video?

Adding this to make clear something up.. A phone would probably be a better choice, no matter how you look at it. But im just saying a laptop could do it, too.. and it some circumstances its even better. Id much rather hold a phone than a laptop for an extended period of time.. But to be honest, id rather just set it down.. which then i think laptop wins.. :-/ I dont have a clue if you could actually do that, though.. Im not a doctor, nor will i be one.

Droid Bitches.
    LeggoMyWebbo

Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    I really would love to know why people buy these devices seeing that (as I stated) they are expensive, and a Netbook/ regular cell phone do the same job cheaper and better.
    The point is that you combine what you use the netbook and regular cellphone for in one item from internet to videos and music to writing.

Plus, they're not expensive. The cheapest android phone available here right now (the Samsung Galaxy 5) costs less than my SE W710i did when I bought it 4 or 5 years ago and can do so much more. Not having much money, I thought my phone was a wise investment then, I think a smartphone would be a wise investment now.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post
    The point is that you combine what you use the netbook and regular cellphone for in one item from internet to videos and music to writing.

Plus, they're not expensive.
    The cheapest android phone available here right now (the Samsung Galaxy 5) costs less than my SE W710i did when I bought it 4 or 5 years ago and can do so much more. Not having much money, I thought my phone was a wise investment then, I think a smartphone would be a wise investment now.
    Interesting, I will be watching.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

I recently got a smart phone after many years of not owning one I have an iPhone 4S, so far I'm liking it does everything that I want it to plus it's easy as pie to navigate I love my iPhone.

Retired Administrator
    BlackBerry Q10, the true awesome keyboard smartphone.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

are you still stuck on crappy Blackberrys???
    I would have thought they went belly up by now and you'd be in the unemployment line....

Sig and Ava by Imotochan

Retired Administrator
    Well Shinhan, they still exist. I quit working there awhile ago and work at another company now but I still enjoy my Q10. It does certain things very well and you'll have a hard time finding something comparable for those functions in the Android / iOS land.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here