Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

VL: Do they exist or not?

Discuss the (possible) existence of the VL here and try to keep the other threads clean.

I still don't think that the top espada were VL. They could possibly be close to the same strength/evolution of a VL, but I don't think they were. I do not count Ulquiorra into that list.

We need a clean and proper translation of the Databook, not a sketchy hunch translation. Maybe kuroihikai could clear it up?

*waiting for POW to paste the databook*

Captain of squad six Captain Kuchiki's Avatar
    sigh) can't wait
    Captain Kuchiki

Quote Originally Posted by Yondaime123 View Post
    So is it true that the 0-4 espadas were VL or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    Not true IMO,

The only evidence we have suggested that they are not, since Aizen was still looking for the VL after he had his espada.
    Quote Originally Posted by POW View Post
    1-4 I would say yes as the Databook seems to confirm this. Which is what I have said all along the hype about VL was too much. The Captains barely managed to defeat the top 3 Espada and if it where not for the vizards most of the Captains would have died.

I think if Aizen dies Ichgo may be invited to go to Kings realm and realize there are new ancient enemies who have been sleeping in wait who dwarf Aizen in power.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    POW, Could you provide a databook reference to where it seems to confirm that the top 3-4 espada are VL.

In chapter 213 pg 19, Aizen implies that he is still searching for the VL, Yet we saw that in chapter 198, page 10 Espada #3 Harribel was already present, plus We know he'd already Aquired Espada #2 Old Guy Barragan at the time because Aizen acquired him before he built his dome HM. The Only top Espada in doubt was #1 Coyote Starrk.

Another problem of saying theses Espada were VL would be how to place Yammy who transforms into #0. If an Arrancar could transform and become more powerful than a VL, then there really wasn't any need for Aizen to seek out the VL in the first place.

Perhaps this is Kubo's "Making it up as he goes" thing
    , or perhaps Aizen was only still searching for a #1. A reference to the Databook should help clear up the issue.

Thought I'd Post the Q & A up to this point. ALSO:

Weko Mundo ni suuta sonzaisuru Arankaru no naka de, kakuzetsushita nouryoku to jitsuryoku wo motsumonotachi-----sore ga "Esupāda" de aru. Kousei menbā ha, Menosu Gurande no saijoui de aru "Vasuto Rōde" kyuu ga hotondo*. Sono jitsuryoku ni oujite, sorezore ga Aizen kara suuji wo sazukerarete iru.

Amongst the great numbers of Arrancar that exist in Hueco Mundo, possessors of exceptional ability and efficacy-----these are the "Espada." The members which comprise them are mostly* the highest rank of Menos Grande, the "Vasto Lorde" class. Depending on their efficacy each is, from Aizen, bestowed a number.

I still see no sentence where it actually states that Halibel is a VL. >.>
    But thank you for providing a translation of that ^.^

Colored text were all taken from another Website here: Link

IMHO, the confusion regarding the VL is all due to Kubo's sloppy writting where he pulls something out of thin air. As we can see from the porported databook quote, Kubo goes from Menos Grande to Espada, he makes no mention of Gillians, or adjuchas, or arrancars.

Maybe at the time he hadn't invented Gillians yet. Anyway we will find out one way or another
    Last edited by paulbee; 09-06-2010 at 03:03 PM.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

They do exist cuz they were mentioned before...
    Will we ever hear about them? I dont think so....

Remember one of Barragan's minions? (The elephant?) He never died but we also never saw him again

Bleach isn't over yet. Aizen isn't dead yet. The Vasdo Lordes might still come into play.

of course they exist it is stated that they exist so they must exist.they might be the dead espada or maybe they ll appear later in the story.

Veteran Member
    Kubo probably has left it unclear on purpose.. He probably doesnt know himself at the moment. Id say they werent, though.. And if they are, they were the weakest of the VLs.. The stronger VLs couldve avoided aizen, possibly.. But anyway, the more ive read about it kubo was undecided but leaning towards them not being VL.. but now it seems hes leaning towards them actually being VL. But it doesnt seem to be set in stone, either way..

Wow, that databook says that most of the espada are VL.. that just seems kinda pathetic.. So pathetic that i actually doubt that.. itd mean nnoitra would have to be a VL.. but he was so weak and started out high numbered... VLs were supposed to rival captain level before getting a power-up from aizen.. Yet they were the as strong as a strong captain after like doubling their power.. wtf much?

but they definitely exist..

Decidedly Undecided
    Quote Originally Posted by kabe87 View Post

Remember one of Barragan's minions? (The elephant?) He never died but we also never saw him again
    No, he was killed when Soi Fon was kicked into his head by Ggio Vega.

(sig by Cross)

my deviantart page...:http://hagane90.deviantart.com/
    Note, I have no real drawing talent, so it'll be mostly literature.

Proud Grammar Nazi

Quote Originally Posted by kabe87 View Post

Just because they were mentioned they do not necessarily exist; because as Kubo also implied in the manga, is that they are very rare and hard to find, the the point they could possibly be extinct. This thread is more specifically about whether some of the Espada were VL however, which I thought was implied in the OP. I guess not.

Anyway, I am glad we could move the discussion here, because all the derailing in the other threads was getting quite rediculous! This way we can also keep a more coherent discussion than bringing it up in every other chapter thread.