Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Luffy's Message

Quote Originally Posted by FireFistLuffy View Post
    Hmm well we know this is Rayleigh's idea and from the few things Rayleigh said after what chapter 591 and so on. He said it's something not like Luffy would do, and also mentioned he had 1 dull looking men in his crew. Which probably was Zoro the only one who didn't get the message. Nami's reaction was calling Luffy selfish. while everyone else just agreed.
    http://read.mangashare.com/One-Piece...4/page014.html

I figured he was talking about himself and Jinbei being in the news with Luffy.

I Love You!
    Spoiler!

he is talking about jinbei and himself

whe els woulth he say there are 2 dull looking people

Here is something someone came up with. It's well put together and makes a good amount of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by logen
    Hey, been trying to post to that topic, but I didn't get this damn authorization email fff. Anyways, since you're the topic starter, here's something I've wrote on another forum, If you'd be so kind, could you paste it into the topic? Thanks, logen.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Lately, most of the talk has been about the message that Luffy left. Everyone has theories but which one is true? Well, here's what I think:

Luffy's tattoo: let's clear this up first.

People seem to misinterpret the whole thing, as a message (SP2Y = no straw hats for 2 years), yet, it's not. The tattoo merely says: "SORY" in the typeface and crossed out style as the one Ace had on his left arm. Besides the style, the place where it is, is actually a clue itself.

Ace and Luffy are sworn brothers, who share a kind of bond. They are "brothers" but they are indeed different. What things are there, that are the "same" yet somehow "different"? Well, in this case, it's body parts, i.e. arms. Ace has a tattoo on his left arm, and Luffy has one on his right. Put them together, and what do you get? "SORY ACE". There, you have an apology with bad grammar (tho, in a lot of mangas, bad english is quite typical, so don't bother with that).

Since Luffy recklessly charged into rescuing him, he got into a tight spot, and Ace, as the big brother had to help him again (just like in the old days). Ace sacrificed himself, and now Luffy thinks it's his fault, because he always made him worry. Therefore, the tattoo is merely considered an apology, or a memento.

Wow, talk about a wall of text, and I didn't even get started.

So, the next thing.

Luffy goes back after the whole matter is over, and rings the Ox bell 16 times. Now this is what's important. Considering, the current SH crew has been only officially together during the Shabondy arc, people got the idea, that the message is, that they'll meet at groove 16. I have to disappoint you tho, it's not. The whole thing is in relation to Luffy. And how, you might ask? Simple!

First, let's look at what an Ox is.

“The Ox is the sign of prosperity through fortitude and hard work. This powerful sign is a born leader, being quite dependable and possessing an innate ability to achieve great things. As one might guess, such people are dependable, calm, and modest. Like their animal namesake, the Ox is unswervingly patient, tireless in their work, and capable of enduring any amount of hardship without complaint.”

We can pretty much conclude, that the Ox symbolizes Luffy. Yes? Not sure. This can be part of the message, but it's not exactly fitting. True, leadership, the ability to achieve great things, endurance of hardships and dependability are things that fit. But the rest doesn't. Still, this could be interpreted as a sign of "Hi, this is your captain speaking"

Moving on: There's a holiday in japan called "Midsummer Day of the Ox". Now, this is something more Luffy like, if you ask me. At this time, people are expected to eat eels, as it is said that eels gives them energy to survive the hot season. Well-well, now this is something interesting now, ain't it? Yep, but wait, there's even more!

The whole holiday takes place during the 18 days before autumn starts. According to the traditional Japanese calendar every summer there is an 18-day period of seasonal change it is during this period that Doyo Day falls. The whole "change" thing can mean, that when the crew meets up again, they'll be different, i.e. stronger. But, what interests us the most, is the number 18. Luffy rang the Ox Bell 16 times. Meaning: they'll meet 2 days before the the end of the season. IF the dates go by like that. But what if they were already 2 days into the Holiday, when Luffy rang the bell? Than the meet up is simply at the end of the season, or rather, at the start of the new season. Which makes quite more sense imho.

So what was Luffy's message? Meet up at the start of the new season, and eat eel together.
    Well, that's my theory at least. We'll see how things will turn out in two weeks, since apparently, there's no jump this week. What do you guys think?

I Love You!
    Spoiler!

^Lmao, I like the last part. "Meet up at the start of the new season and eat eel together...... after our stomach is full we could continue on our adventure and get our ass whooped in the new world"

I admit I still don't have any idea what the hell the 16 bell is but there's no point for Luffy to put some tattoo and let the whole world see it just to apologize to Ace. The tattoo is obviously a message for the SH.
    Last edited by arisart; 08-10-2010 at 02:37 AM.

sig made by me

I that was the best theory I heard so far intact I really want to see those events take place. I must applaud u for thinking outside the box but its kinda hard to Think that the SH could get all of this by just rininging a bell but still awsome theory!!!
    DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE!!!
    doflamingo
    THE DREAMS OF MEN... NEVER END! AM I RIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by halaros536 View Post
    You seem to believe, that OP is some shit like Bleach and that the main guy will just pull something out of his ass and beat the enemy no matter who he is.And you're damn wrong in viewing it that way.

I really dont like the idea of a two year timeskip. I mean all the rookies would of most likely been to the new world except them.

Quote Originally Posted by xioaxioa View Post
    http://read.mangashare.com/One-Piece...4/page014.html

I figured he was talking about himself and Jinbei being in the news with Luffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunder Luffy View Post
    he is talking about jinbei and himself

whe els woulth he say there are 2 dull looking people
    He wasn't talking about them at all, this is why I hate f*cking molokadin's translation see what a minor mistake can do. That OP hating f*gg*t taking his bleach anger on OP. Here read the better translation from cnet128 is page 15 he says "one" which makes sense with Zoro.

http://mangahelpers.com/t/cnet128/releases/23870

Quote Originally Posted by xioaxioa View Post
    Here is something someone came up with. It's well put together and makes a good amount of sense.
    That was well thought out but what I can't see is how you basing RL Japanese festival in one piece hell we don't even know if in the one piece world the calender is the same us ours. Every time the animals seem to be put in the theories they usually wrong. They always try to do it with their birthdays, people forget that their birthdays were fan-made in the tradition inside the SBS.

I still think the whole message includes what he did and probably the tattoo we shouldn't be removing either one trying come up with the conclusion. Also another good reason Zoro didn't get the message besides his lack of directional knowledge is he's a atheist so the makes perfect sense that he didn't get the burial at sea part. Giving more reason that the message can derive from the circling the marineford base and the 16 bells. Also how could Luffy know where they would take a picture of him that also kind a makes me ignore the tattoo. He did hope they all got it though so it might just be a risk on it's on trying to sent it.
    Last edited by FenixMarco; 08-10-2010 at 10:26 AM.

2 yrs is so long, and they dont need that period to strengthen themselves. They will surely be left out by other rookies, or maybe BB have destroyed many by that time.. what will zoro do in 2yrs w/ mihawk or that sanji w/ Ivan, after sanji defeats those strong armies I bet that he has trained enough or maybe a one-on-one will Iva will be more cool.. well i dint know, but that logen's thoughts on this are ok for me.
    What's up Motherf*ckers?!...

Also for the armband/tattoo being the message of scratching out 3days kind a makes no sense. It's obvious from the Kuma incident they couldn't keep to the meet up in 3 days plan. Practically a month has passed, why would he say "Hey guys let's not meet up three weeks ago". Think we should look more into the thing's Rayleigh said because it's pretty obvious all this is part of Rayleigh's plan. We know it's something that was easy for the strawhats to understand on the spot but it throws everyone else into thinking what has been said in the chapter. It's unlike Luffy and a f*ck it I give up.

This is one of the best observations of the message I read so far posted by KaiPirinha.

So, I've been thinking a lot about what Luffy's message might mean...and I've got a theory.

First let's look at what we KNOW

-Luffy sailed around the island, signifying a burial at sea
    -He held a silent prayer, mourning a death
    -He rang the Ox Bell 16 times. 2 times would signify a death. 16 times means the end of the year or the end of an era metaphorically at least according to Killer
    -This was a message Rayleigh intended to reach the other Straw Hats
    -This plan was born from Rayleigh's fear that the crew reuniting now would mean their certain death because of what happened at Sabaody Archipelago

Now, as you may know, I believe a time skip is coming. I approached deciphering this message from the standpoint that Luffy is trying to convey to his crew that they should not reunite immediately.

I believe that this message was intended for his crew and could easily be veiled to deceive the rest of the world.

Luffy was indeed mourning a loss, a death, but it was not Ace's.

Luffy was mourning his own death and the death of the Straw Hat Pirates.

On Sabaody Archipelago, the crew faced, for the first time, complete and utter defeat at the hands of Pacafista and Sentomaru. They faced certain death. If not for the protection of Silvers Rayleigh and Bartholomew Kuma, they would have been killed without question by Admiral Kizaru or even Sentomaru and the Pacafista. Kizaru is one thing...few people could face him...but the crew was too weak to even run away from a few Pacafista.

In a sense, seeing each of his crew members disappear right before his eyes...they were symbolically dying to Luffy.

The Straw Hat Pirates were not only defeated on Sabaody...they died there. If anything had even gone just a little bit differently, not one of them would have been alive. If Kuma's lobotomy had come just a week sooner, they'd be dead. If Rayleigh were a few minutes later, they'd be dead. If Kuma was hostile, they'd be dead. They're too weak to avoid this truth.

Luffy was telling them not to reunite now. They're not strong enough. They're not alive. The rest of the world does not know this, they only know the events of Marineford. Even Kizaru who was present at the crew's defeat would be deceived into thinking Luffy was mourning the death of Ace and Whitebeard. After all, the Straw Hats are only symbolically dead, not physically dead. The much more obvious interpretation would be that Luffy was mourning Ace and Whitebeard or even the Marines killed at the battle.

Why the crew will understand this message rather than the one that Luffy is mourning Ace? They know it comes from Rayleigh rather than Luffy. They know Rayleigh witnessed their defeat. Nami calls Luffy selfish...this statement makes sense if this is the interpretation we are to understand.

Why 16 rings instead of 2 then? Well it is not as Killer says. While Blackbeard is so arrogant as to declare the passage of Whitebeard's age and the beginning of his own at Marineford, this does not seem much like Luffy...and I highly doubt Rayleigh would want Luffy to declare this either. We must keep in mind this message was Rayleigh's idea. 16 rings signifies the beginning of a new age, a new start, a new beginning, or a rebirth...for the Straw Hat Pirates. When they reunite, they're starting over and they have to be stronger. They "died" at Sabaody, and they will be reborn, better and stronger than ever when they reunite...but knowing that they "died" and that Luffy is mourning their death, the crew will not be so hasty as to reunite right away.

This will convey to them Rayleigh's message, his fear that they will only face the same exact fate as what they faced on Sabaody if they reunite right now.

So that's my best explanation of Luffy's message!
    Last edited by FenixMarco; 08-10-2010 at 02:39 PM.