Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Veteran Member
    Being young, I don't think I'm interesting enough to write my background here. There is stuff I'd like to write about myself, but I find it hard to put something personal up for people to judge.

I will say though that I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts... please continue. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Queenofmuffins View Post
    Being young, I don't think I'm interesting enough to write my background here. There is stuff I'd like to write about myself, but I find it hard to put something personal up for people to judge.

I will say though that I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts... please continue. ^^
    QoM,

You might think you're not interesting, but you might only just be underestimating yourself. Could you just give us a synopsis of the environment you grew up in, and influences on your life. Also what you think the future might hold.

I most certainly agree about not putting up personal stuff . I suspect though that you have more than enough remaining to tell about.

Take Damnz for example, who jumps parachutes. Something I had always dreamed of doing, but never had the opportunity when I was young, and now I think it'll be foolhardy at my current age and lack of fitness.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Quote Originally Posted by hakomsg View Post
    There's a strong anarchist tradition in Catalan, no? I'd be interested to hear more about that damnz...
    I haven't noticed much anarchism around me here. Sure there are anarchist people here, but the whole idea of anarchism is not supported or agreed by the vast majority; they're barely a small minority just like everywhere else. The main "thing" here is, just like in Scotland or Quebec, there's a really spread desire of independence from the rest of the country. Not much anarchism around, though.

I'll be following the thread and hope more people tell more about themselves and their lifes, this is really interesting.

Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    QoM,

You might think you're not interesting, but you might only just be underestimating yourself. Could you just give us a synopsis of the environment you grew up in, and influences on your life. Also what you think the future might hold.

I most certainly agree about not putting up personal stuff . I suspect though that you have more than enough remaining to tell about.

Take Damnz for example, who jumps parachutes. Something I had always dreamed of doing, but never had the opportunity when I was young, and now I think it'll be foolhardy at my current age and lack of fitness.
    Call me Emily, Paulbee. ^^

Okay, here goes.
    I was born in Australia in Jan 1991, so not too long ago. I'm a 90's kid. My upbringing was a fairly average white middle class family- I guess we were reasonably happy. To be honest, I don't remember most of it.
    My town is fairly rural, and very quiet. Wasn't much to do there growing up.

My mother worked for a company as an accountant and my father various jobs involving wood- building playgrounds, kitchens, ect, before running his own business as a cabinet maker. My mother described my father as someone who "liked to play the matry." I've always thought he'd like to do something else with his life, but never took the opportunity in order to provide for the family.

My mother ruled the family with an iron fist, my father pottered along quietly behind and agreed with everything. To be perfectly honest, I doubt either of them knew how to be parents. They did get married very young.

When I was 12 years old, as I have mentioned before, my mother nearly died and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis as well as a heart disease. To be honest, I barely know anything- my parents aren't the type to talk about anything. I found out most of what I know now from overhearing teachers or other people. After that my mother's personality changed for the worse. She became unbearable. Most people feared her. Fights and other such things were a regular occurance at our house. Money was also tight, as she was unable to work for a few years, which never helped ease the strain.
    Also in that year a fairly significant event happened to me, which I think helped destroy what little ties I had with my family. I've never really gotten the "sitcom" type of family. Mine just wasn't like that.
    I can't really comment on my childhood without getting pretty personal... so I'll just leave it at that. That's a brief synopsis of it.

Influences? No way to say this without sounding tacky; but I think humanity has influenced me. I can get pretty emotional about things; most recently the Killing Fields in Cambodia. For a long time I've been questioning how humans can do these things, how people nowdays can be so desensitised to it, and if there is a god how they can let them... so I don't have much faith in either. I think it'd be nice to have blind faith in an afterlife- very comforting when thinking about death.

'Kay, now I'm getting morbid. XD

As for the future?

I have the feeling that there is so much I could do; if I tried to. I could write a best selling novel, or become famous. I feel if I really strived for it, I could tap that potentional. But most likely I'll end up in one of those 9 - 5 careers in an office somewhere.
    Whatever I do, I hope it's freelance, so I can still have some freedom...

I've always been independant- I guess that's an influence. I've had to take care of myself since a very young age, so I'm used to doing everything myself. This isn't a bad thing though- because of it I've been able to work hard and travel to countries I've always wanted to go to. I'm still nowhere near deciding what to do for the future though. I guess I'd like to keep wandering as long as I can, doing as much as I can before I die. Skydiving is on my list, Damnz. ^^
    Last edited by Queenofmuffins; 07-26-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Wow Emily, I get the feeling that your life's story might be a best seller novel.

I grew up in Africa and most people there thought (still do think) that Westerners had it easy. I now know better. We are all human, all suffer from life's hassles.

I do commend your hard work and envy your travels. Thanks for telling us the things you did.

BTW does anybody know what a Slide-Rule is: PS Don't Google (cheat)
    Last edited by paulbee; 07-26-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Veteran Member
    Wow Emily, I get the feeling that your life's story might be a best seller novel.

I grew up in Africa and most people there thought (still do think) that Westerners had it easy. I now know better. We are all human, all suffer from life's hassles.

I do commend your hard work and envy your travels. Thanks for telling us the things you did.

It'd be one of the shortest novels ever written, methinks. ^^;

Personally, I think growing up in a third world country would be worse than anything I had to go through.

Slide-rule sounds like a tool my dad would work with, to measure wether something was straight or not.

I was born in Australia in Jan 1991.
    And I always thought that you were born on the mid-80's. So independent at a young age.. I like it.
    What's up Motherf*ckers?!...

I've seen one in Engineering class, but it was called a Logarithmic rule, with one of the scales (I don't remember if it was one of the side ones or the middle, sliding one) in a logarithmic scale.

My dad has a sort of "Slide Protractor" from his flying days, where there are scales for attitude, air speed, lift, fuel consumption, etc on the protractor.

Kuro has it.

My dad as an eEngineer used slide rules for higher math calculations. They were analog devices that were used like calculators and computers are used today. I was also taught a class or two on their use.

These ("Hi-Tech, at the time..funny isn't it?). Greatly influenced my adaptation to technology.

Anther influence for me was Music. While a student in Toronto and Monteal, Canada, My dad played the accordion to help pay the way. As a Youngster, I remmeber waking up to accordion strains as dad would play music to chill out before he went out and got hammered by life in Colonial Africa.

My mom who was a Pastors daughter taught us 7 kids to sing many hymns, this trait has endured in the lives of all my siblings and mine too.

I was the baby of the family

It'd be one of the shortest novels ever written, methinks. ^^;

Personally, I think growing up in a third world country would be worse than anything I had to go through.

Slide-rule sounds like a tool my dad would work with, to measure wether something was straight or not.
    Emily, Once again I think you sell yourself short. If you ever get a chance, please talk to a publisher of Novels (you have to pick the right genre though). These people know their stuff and will give you the straight shot.

Anyway, there just Has to be happy memories from childhood, maybe being carried by your dad on his shoulders, or going to a beach, or a favourite pet.

All in all I'd say you seem to have turned into a pretty decent person, that much I can tell from your writtings here.