Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How does color-safe bleach work and what, really, does it do?

I use color-safe bleach on my colored laundry but I finally just can't stand it. What IS it? And why am I using it? How can bleach be color-safe? Doesn't bleach... bleach things? And if this stuff doesn't bleach things, is it really bleach? Is it doing anything other than giving me something else to spend money on? If I mixed it with any of the things you mix bleach with to get nasty reactions like chlorine gas - or spontaneous combustion - would it still do those things? Or is it a completely different product altogether and only CALLED bleach because the marketers know people will buy something called bleach?

Okay, I'll waste a few minutes of my life. Seeing as it's insanely late (or early depending on how you look at things), all my brain can manage to figure right now is that in that situation, the Bleach is used to disinfect, and kill off all the germs...not so much bleach things in the sense of making it white. So by colour-safe, it means that you can use it to disinfect your clothes without having the colour of it fade like it would if you used regular bleach.

Senior Member King Of Soul Society's Avatar
    in addition to faizaud it also does the usual thing that regular bleach does i.e. remove tough stains but you main want to leave it to soak 1st then stick it in the washing machine for best results

He Who Speaks Without An Attentive Ear Is Mute.

Originally Posted by halaros536
    shut up you weakling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are just angry because i didnt let you became my SERVANT!!!!!! but icould not accept that because you are too weak to be my servant sorry

Poor Kubo's manga's discussion forums being relegated to clothes washing tips.

Quote Originally Posted by makhayantini View Post
    I use color-safe bleach on my colored laundry but I finally just can't stand it. What IS it? And why am I using it? How can bleach be color-safe? Doesn't bleach... bleach things? And if this stuff doesn't bleach things, is it really bleach? Is it doing anything other than giving me something else to spend money on? If I mixed it with any of the things you mix bleach with to get nasty reactions like chlorine gas - or spontaneous combustion - would it still do those things? Or is it a completely different product altogether and only CALLED bleach because the marketers know people will buy something called bleach?
    Ummm...I have to ask. Since this is your first post here I would like to know if you know that this forum is section is about the manga/anime of bleach. I'm not flaming or anything but it could be possible that you thought this is actually about the detergent. If you are aware then I have to say that the marketing of certain detergents as color safe "Bleach" is meant to fool you. normally bleach is synonomous with powerful whitening agent which is mostly a result of the chlorine. Chlorine is removed in color safe bleach so your clothes keep there color. The word bleach is really just to get your attention through marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by ddemon23 View Post
    Ummm...I have to ask. Since this is your first post here I would like to know if you know that this forum is section is about the manga/anime of bleach. I'm not flaming or anything but it could be possible that you thought this is actually about the detergent. If you are aware then I have to say that the marketing of certain detergents as color safe "Bleach" is meant to fool you. normally bleach is synonomous with powerful whitening agent which is mostly a result of the chlorine. Chlorine is removed in color safe bleach so your clothes keep there color. The word bleach is really just to get your attention through marketing.
    Seeing how this is the Bleach forum, I see no wrong here. But seriously I always wondered how color safe bleach worked. I just never thought to ask an anime forum and was too lazy to google search it.

Quote Originally Posted by makhayantini View Post
    Did you know Chlorox Bleach also makes a very good summer beverage?

I recommend drinking some chilled over the rocks.

Well, what others have said, color-safe bleach doesn't actually bleach but works more as an active agent to make your clothes clean and remove tough stains, which is the original purpose of actual bleach. It bleaches the stains away. Since we have now developed better technology to remove tough stains without using bleach (chlorine is not very kind to neither man nor nature) there is no longer a need to use chlorine when we wish to "bleach" aka wash our clothes but the terminology got left behind.

And I do wonder what this question has to do with the actual manga... but I guess mods will deal with that?

Man Kubo, step up your game.

Let's get this party started.