New Board Considerations

Soooo.. I know this is a manga site and all, but I was wondering if anyone isn't interested in talking about other stuff like politics, reviewing movies, reviewing music, discussing international relations, stuff in the news.. You know just expanding what is discussed.

Like here is an interesting subject:
    Russia with its increased revenue from oil (rising prices and increased production) have led it to open new doors and opportunities. One would expect Russia to invest in its people and its economy with such extra money, yet Putin seems to just improve their military. Some analysts say that Russia just wants to be taken more seriously in the world, historically they take pride in their military, and enjoy that respect when people see Russia has that bomb, tank, gun or whatever. However, isn't Putin letting Russia, or himself, sacrifice further economic growth of their country for pride? On the other hand, is this the right move to create growth in Russia and ultimately expand economic growth as well as a general better standard of living?

So. I hope some of you are interested, but I won't be surprised if the number of responses are few and faint.
    Last edited by g7_gomitat7; 09-17-2007 at 03:46 AM.

The Russians have an image problem with the rest of the world, and Putin is trying very hard to get that pride back for the people of Russia, be it switching off the gas pipes to the Ukraine or just letting murder suspects run for a parliament seat.

To be honest I think deep down a lot of countries are envious of Russia and its wealth. But on the idea of sacrificing further economic wealth for military pride..... Well there are a few articles if anyone gives a donkey’s ass about how the Russians are actually showing their wealth and that areas within Russia are economically expanding, maybe it’s to do with the certainty of knowing that the wealth is within the country and things will not go belly up.

BBC NEWS | Business | Russia's economic might: spooky or soothing?
    Eye on Russia: Russia's*resurgence - CNN.com

p.s. 20 views and one comment....... atleast its a better record than the Piano Vids! thread.

I agree that we should have some other threads not involving manga or anime, but there is the Watercooler for that. Maybe we should start some sub-forums in the Watercooler for types of thread, i.e; Politics or Sports etc.
    Yawn...

Quote Originally Posted by camiscool1 View Post
    I agree that we should have some other threads not involving manga or anime, but there is the Watercooler for that. Maybe we should start some sub-forums in the Watercooler for types of thread, i.e; Politics or Sports etc.

that would work I feel, at least that way we can talk about cricket......

it is nice to see people that are interested in such serious matters!
    i also approve the creation of such sub-forum!
    the only thing that i do not like is that there would be many debates and controversies about military and politics matters!
    if we consider the panic and the aggression and the insults that happen in naruto - bleach - etc threads i think the fate of such sub-forum is doomed!
    this problem has to do with the culture and maturity, the experiences, the educations etc that someone has!
    i hate the politicians and the images that they show of my country or any country but if you insult my country even if it deserves it i will get angry!
    countries are the common/ordinary people, not the politicians and their purposes for wealth and fame...
    the reason is that politicians and people that control the countries destroy the images...
    an ordinary russian guy, who tries hard for the living, has nothing to debate with an ordinary european american or asian person who does the same!
    except sports!!!!!!
    i would love to, if my country was in russia place but if my life and everyone that i know life was not getting better i would blame them!
    so in order to stop messing your mind i think that is putin to blame not russia!
    the same is for bush and blur!
    did anyones life got better after the war in afganistan and iraq?
    i think only blurs and bushs and their followers did!
    they sell security and weapons and getting rich when they can not save lifes from natural disasters...
    same for any politician!

so,vote me for president!-lol

p.s i hope that my points of view are understandable as english is not my native language
    p.s i would prefer to know your thoughts in private messages or chat rooms rather than in a forum!

Cuban Missile Crisis

Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr4zy View Post
    Cuban Missile Crisis

Go.
    eh, could have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cultofdecay View Post
    eh, could have been worse.
    Could have been a lot better though.
    All glory to Haruhi! The one and true God!