Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Purchased the following today:

GeForce GTX 480 SuperClocked+ w/ High Flow Bracket and Backplate
    Basically, it's a factory shipped-OC. Which doesn't really mean much, because I would have OCd it anyway.
    However, the altered backplate/bracket should help temps, which will help further its overclocking potential.

LGA1366 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.B
    The ones shipped with the older TRUE 120s were horrible.

Thermalright Extra 120mm Fan Clips x 4
    I use two delta 150cfm fans in push-pull configuration with a TRUE 120 & have been using zipties to secure them to the heatsink.
    As cheap as these are, might as well do it properly.

Arctic Cooling MX-3 TIM
    Artic Silver 5 is Old, so I wanted to try some newer TIM out.

Soon as I get these items, I'm going to try and push this i7 920 to 4.0ghz stable. I changed from ATX-12v 4pin to the EPS-12v 8pin, so that should grant me a little less power fluctuation & help my ability to overclock. Unfortunately the CPU is the initial revision C0 and will likely take a significant amount of work to get it stable. I've had it @ 4.2 before, but couldn't do so without running 1.4v & HT disabled. Hopefully with the change in 12v connection, I won't need as much CPU voltage.

Following this, I'll bench again. However, if what I think is happening (with the benchmark) is correct, it probably won't make much difference
    Last edited by Trigunflame; 06-20-2010 at 12:12 AM.

I overclocked my processor to 4.0. Thats the cool edition of have the Black edition chip. Also I read a lot of bad reviews about that noisy vid card you have.

1) It's Impossible for it to be louder than 2 '06 g80, 8 series Nvidia cards @ 100% speed.
    2) Every review I've seen, shows it to be around 15-20% (likely more with the newest drivers) ahead of any other Single-GPU card.
    Last edited by Trigunflame; 06-18-2010 at 10:44 PM.

1) Yea bro, I heard it was noisy, and it gets hot.
    2) Fuck if I care tbh. I never mentioned anything about the performance speed. I haven't seen any reviews saying it performed bad.

Ah, I thought you were saying it was both (hot/noisy & under-performing).
    As for temps, everything is relative In this case, a single GTX 480 @ ~90c would be just Fine.

Current setup while being stressed in FurMark.
    This is in a full-tower case with 8 fans total.. mind you.

This was with OCCT & I stopped it before it went further.. lol

Not exactly "Cool", lol.
    Some people forget how ridiculously hot the g80s were.

Primary reason for me to even upgrade is to get away from SLI. It can be great in 'some' cases, but isn't worth the effort and problems that come along with it IMO. Specifically the microstutters.
    Last edited by Trigunflame; 06-18-2010 at 11:17 PM.

nothing beats the HD2900 if you want to cook some eggs...

btw, why aren't you throwing in some watercooling? 100 Celcius is pretty darned bad, how long can you run FurMark and at what resolution?

Current system is "meh"

i7 860 at standard clock speeds
    GT240 OC'd far enough to get around 30fps at Crysis on 1680x1050(not at the system right now, I have to look it up later)
    4GB of DDR3 at 1333mhz

looking into upgrading my GPU, the HD5830 seems tempting at 199 euro's. does anyone have any experience running an ATI setup with Nvidea for physics? [thanks for the fast reply, Hand Banana]
    Last edited by Simian; 06-19-2010 at 09:40 PM.

My 5700 uses Nvidia physics which at first I thought was odd. Runs fine mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Simian View Post
    btw, why aren't you throwing in some watercooling? 100 Celcius is pretty darned bad, how long can you run FurMark and at what resolution?
    Most people worry too much about temps, specifically with GPUs. They're engineered to last a Long time at those levels. Sure, keeping it as cool-as-possible *might* extend the life a few more years by way of reducing the amount of electromigration; but by then, it's obsolete & you would have probably replaced it anyway. That's the good thing about buying EVGA (& select others) products; they carry limited lifetime warranties. If it were to die from Heat for example - I would simply have it RMAd.

As for how long it will run FurMark (1680x1050), Not sure. I've never tried to run it longer than about ~10min; by then, the temps have typically maxed out & I'm only concerned with those insofar as they affect overclocking ability.
    Last edited by Trigunflame; 06-20-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
    Most people worry too much about temps, specifically with GPUs. They're engineered to last a Long time at those levels. Sure, keeping it as cool-as-possible *might* extend the life a few more years by way of reducing the amount of electromigration; but by then, it's obsolete & you would have probably replaced it anyway. That's the good thing about buying EVGA (& select others) products; they carry limited lifetime warranties. If it were to die from Heat for example - I would simply have it RMAd.

As for how long it will run FurMark (1680x1050), Not sure. I've never tried to run it longer than about ~10min; by then, the temps have typically maxed out & I'm only concerned with those insofar as they affect overclocking ability.
    Sometimes an OC seems stable, but after 4 hours or so it could just quit working, which is pretty irritating if it happens during gameplay.

also; watercooling is also nice if you want to push to the edge AND it's quieter.

Well, today I received the items. I've yet to actually optimize anything, in-fact I've done just the opposite and reset the CPU OC back to defaults. I'll post an optimized result later.

So, this is with the CPU & GPU @ Stock clocks.

For reference, this was the prior result, with the CPU OC'd @ 3.8Ghz & the 8800GTS 640 @ 648/972.

Just with this data, it's quite clear how completely FUBARd the bench is.
    Last edited by Trigunflame; 06-25-2010 at 02:12 AM.