• I occasionally buy manga

8 28.57%
  • I rarely buy manga.

5 17.86%
  • I have never bought manga before.

5 17.86%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I voted Rarely

All I've ever bought were two volumes of Naruto recently, the Pain arc, volumes 46 & 47 and that was solely to support the mangaka. And I'm not planning on buying again until I have 5 mill in bank saved up.

Actually, here's the reason why I didn't like scanlations being deleted from online reading. For example, I started reading one piece, have read about last 50 chapters or so, and I plan to go back and read from beginning. But if all the sites start deleting the older scanlations, I would be guaranteed to drop that manga rather than pay ten dollars for censored versions of 60 volumes which I'll only read once, and have sixty 200 page booklets sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I don't like reading manga on paper, cause I've simply grown used to the way I read it digitally, that's the way I first started. I would most likely drop all the mangas cept Naruto, cause that's where my heart is. Even then, I hate the fact that Viz censored all the volumes, and translated crappily, calling Shinra Tensei, almighty push, annoying stuff like that. I think supporting the mangaka is a good thing, and every1 should start by buying a couple of volumes of their favorite one, but don't expect me to spend $2,000 on the 5 big ones and few small ones I read. Why should I have to cover publishing fees for buying volumes, when they can give that same product for half the price or lower, for example it's one dollar per chapter right now, it should easily drop to 50 cents per chapter if it was all digital. Every other industry has listened to the consumers, the movie industry, music industry, hell even the anime industry is starting to offer subscription services.

And let's face it, every1 will prefer free stuff over paying for it, no matter how self-righteous they wanna act, that's reality. Also if every1 started deleting their older scanlations, how would it attract the newcomers who would've been hooked otherwise. And you know what the ironic thing is about BINK-EMS decision to delete the scanlations in order to encourage more manga purchases by the fans, that 99% of the work is prolly done on pirated photoshop software, I'm not hearing any cry for sympathy towards Adobe, LOL.
    Last edited by Rokudaime Sennin ™; 06-16-2010 at 09:30 AM.
    A bridge towards peace; the will of fire still endures!

Rokudaime Hokage, Rokudaime Rikudou Sennin Uzumaki Naruto

Quote Originally Posted by ·Rokudaime Sennin· ™ View Post
    All I've ever bought were two volumes of Naruto recently, the Pain arc, volumes 46 & 47 and that was solely to support the mangaka. And I'm not planning on buying again until I have 5 mill in bank saved up.

Actually, here's the reason why I didn't like scanlations being deleted from online reading. For example, I started reading one piece, have read about last 50 chapters or so, and I plan to go back and read from beginning. But if all the sites start deleting the older scanlations, I would be guaranteed to drop that manga rather than pay ten dollars for censored versions of 60 volumes which I'll only read once, and have sixty 200 page booklets sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I don't like reading manga on paper, cause I've simply grown used to the way I read it digitally, that's the way I first started. I would most likely drop all the mangas cept Naruto, cause that's where my heart is. Even then, I hate the fact that Viz censored all the volumes, and translated crappily, calling Shinra Tensei, almighty push, annoying stuff like that. I think supporting the mangaka is a good thing, and every1 should start by buying a couple of volumes of their favorite one, but don't expect me to spend $2,000 on the 5 big ones and few small ones I read. Why should I have to cover publishing fees for buying volumes, when they can give that same product for half the price or lower, for example it's one dollar per chapter right now, it should easily drop to 50 cents per chapter if it was all digital. Every other industry has listened to the consumers, the movie industry, music industry, hell even the anime industry is starting to offer subscription services.

And let's face it, every1 will prefer free stuff over paying for it, no matter how self-righteous they wanna act, that's reality. Also if every1 started deleting their older scanlations, how would it attract the newcomers who would've been hooked otherwise. And you know what the ironic thing is about BINK-EMS decision to delete the scanlations in order to encourage more manga purchases by the fans, that 99% of the work is prolly done on pirated photoshop software, I'm not hearing any cry for sympathy towards Adobe, LOL.
    You dear sir, are cheap. But we have discussed this in another thread, let's stick to discussing buying volumes hmkay?

PS: My Adobe Photoshop is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixion View Post
    You dear sir, are cheap. But we have discussed this in another thread, let's stick to discussing buying volumes hmkay?

PS: My Adobe Photoshop is legal.

LOL. Like seriously, what am I gonna do with about 60 volumes of one piece, 55 for Naruto and 45 for bleach, I live in a small apartment, where would I put them? With digital, they're all on my laptop and online. That's why I'd much rather wait for a digital subscription, add that to my internet bill and be satisfied.

Any1 here think OpenManga (effort by Mangahelpers) will be a worthy idea? Will it get the support of the big 3 or just crappy no name new startups?

Also I'm curious the ones who buy all the time, how much money have you spent all together on the mangas so far, and I would love to see some pictures of your manga collection.

Oh look who found a new picture posted by a fellow forum member! It seems you are amazed by the fact some people own stuff legally. - P
    Last edited by Phixion; 06-16-2010 at 03:15 PM.

i ve never bought manga.i dont think that in my country i could find them but either way i can find them for free so there is no need for me to buy them.

Veteran Member Himura Battousai's Avatar
    Im trapped in Kakashis Kamui jutsu with Deidaras arm
    No I have never bought one. Even if I was gonna buy one I would have to order it online because theres no way in hell im reading it in German.

Quote Originally Posted by Himura Battousai View Post
    No I have never bought one. Even if I was gonna buy one I would have to order it online because theres no way in hell im reading it in German.
    If I remember correctly, zidane said the german translations are often done very well.

Queen of the Boredom Zone Arhazivory's Avatar
    I've bought manga before and intend to buy more...lots more. There are series that I want all the volumes for like Slam Dunk and Prince of Tennis. Jamaica has no manga store so buying manga means getting it online and then paying the cost to clear it...which is actually not that bad. Can call it that I end up paying after it finally gets in my hand...about $12 per volume.

In any case, there's something very nice about having it in your hands to read and I'd strongly recommend that everyone supports the publishers and dish out some cash. If you can save to buy a pair of shoes, a shirt or a game, why not do the same for something you love to read?
    ^Birthday Sig & Ava from Mikessc88 <3 v Birthday Sig from Imotochan <3
    Lords of the Boredom Zone: Arhazivory Redsquirrel and Crossx21

Cool story bro

I just bought this:

This book made my day. <3 The sheer delight of holding it in my hands and flipping the pages is the reason it's always worth it to buy the real things for me.

And let's face it, every1 will prefer free stuff over paying for it, no matter how self-righteous they wanna act, that's reality.
    No.

Manga is my hobby, I love collecting it, So I want lovely brand new volumes. If someone were giving away second hand volumes, I'd still rather buy brand new.
    We're not all cheap. Some of us enjoy spending money on the things we like most.
    A shelf full of manga is a lot more satisfying than a HDD full of scans. I can look it at and think "money well spent".

Only reason I'm not crossing my fingers that Kodansha shut down all the online distro of scans is because I feel bad for the people who can't get hold of manga volumes.

Oh and Imoto, I bought an Art Book a month back too.
    Spoiler!