Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Compressing jpg?

Are there any programs that can super compress jpg files without quality loss? manga images are taking up a lot space on my server =[

First off, there is no such thing as super compressing an image without losing quality. What you should do is compress the folders i.e. RAR, 7zip, zip, etc...

JPEG's typically get 0% compression from most compression formats. They're already compressed. The only thing you can do is lower the quality.

I have heard about lossless JPEG, I confess I haven't really checked it out.

I conversion to other formats might save more space...like PNG, for instance. PNG is "Lossless", has smaller files, and better definiton than JPEGs. Downside is that some older browsers might not render it well.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Easiest way to make them smaller is to open them up in photoshop and click "save for web & devices" and choose the PNG-8 format.
    Only if they're Manga pages mind you. If they're colour then you'll have to go with regular PNG or PNG-24 (PNG-8 doesn't support RGB, only gray-scale), Either way, they'll still be smaller than a JPG image without having to compromise on quality.

You can just record a script too and automate the whole process.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangaz View Post
    Easiest way to make them smaller is to open them up in photoshop and click "save for web & devices" and choose the PNG-8 format.
    Only if they're Manga pages mind you. If they're colour then you'll have to go with regular PNG or PNG-24 (PNG-8 doesn't support RGB, only gray-scale), Either way, they'll still be smaller than a JPG image without having to compromise on quality.

You can just record a script too and automate the whole process.
    Saving it as PNG-8 made it bigger

there's no such thing... all you can do is lower the quality of that... just try edit it on paint and then save it.. i think that will help a little...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruriko View Post
    Saving it as PNG-8 made it bigger
    You must be doing something wrong.

look, same image, first is jpg, second is png-8. Compare the file sizes.

We use png-8 when saving our scanlations because it leaves us with a nice tiny file size.

I prefer the software Infima Jpeg Compression'.I use that for compression if the jpg files.That gives the exact result without damaging the image.

if you're still looking for an image compressor, then RIOT is the choice for you

http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/