Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New language

New language

Ive been trying to learn Jap. for the past year.

I know very little. (trying to learn from books)

Is there a esier way
    I'm a Manga/Anime lover.

Retired Administrator
    In all honesty the best way to learn Japanese would be to move to Japan. Full immersion into another language often speeds up the process.

Also, Japanese is ridiculously hard.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

I've heard....Doing that isnt a option
    I'm a Manga/Anime lover.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Eak9GfRfe0c

jokes aside. My uncle learned japanese in college and he did alot of verb exercises and he said it was easier learning that way then word by word
    Aim: Frostfox87
    Current mood: Bored

Ok....Is there a descent way to learn though....with that
    I'm a Manga/Anime lover.

hoi' I've been a student of the language for a little over a year now,. I'll be taking some Japanese classes this fall. My two cents;

There is an infinite number of ways to go about learning the language,. but I'd definitely recommend learning the Hiragana / Katakana before moving on to the Kanji.

Luckily,. the internet is full of wonderful resources! Take a peek at these;

ManyThings (Link) - Wonderful sources of quizzes,. games,. and all sorts of information on the written/spoken language.
    ChipChat Quiz (Link) - Another Hiragana / Katakana site with quizzes over the Kana you specify.
    All About Kanji Radicals (Link) - When you do start learning Kanji,. this becomes a lifesaver. All Kanji have radicals that can help you decipher meaning / pronunciation if you know where to look.

As far as the spoken language goes; I'd look into the "Pimsleur" units,. I've reached the second level of Japanese through that and its' worked miracles.
    http://www.pimsleurapproach.com/learn-japanese.asp ( ... Of course you can find it elsewhere free ...)

hope that helps! best of luck!
    "I'm not concerned that you've fallen- I'm concerned that you arise."

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmOfRegret View Post
    hoi' I've been a student of the language for a little over a year now,. I'll be taking some Japanese classes this fall. My two cents;

There is an infinite number of ways to go about learning the language,. but I'd definitely recommend learning the Hiragana / Katakana before moving on to the Kanji.

Luckily,. the internet is full of wonderful resources! Take a peek at these;

ManyThings (Link) - Wonderful sources of quizzes,. games,. and all sorts of information on the written/spoken language.
    ChipChat Quiz (Link) - Another Hiragana / Katakana site with quizzes over the Kana you specify.
    All About Kanji Radicals (Link) - When you do start learning Kanji,. this becomes a lifesaver. All Kanji have radicals that can help you decipher meaning / pronunciation if you know where to look.

As far as the spoken language goes; I'd look into the "Pimsleur" units,. I've reached the second level of Japanese through that and its' worked miracles.
    http://www.pimsleurapproach.com/learn-japanese.asp ( ... Of course you can find it elsewhere free ...)

hope that helps! best of luck!
    Illl look at it when I have more time. thank you
    I'm a Manga/Anime lover.

All I can say is good luck to you, and try to speak it as often as you can, preferably with people that are fluent and willing to help you.

From my experience of trying to learn to read and write Chinese even though I'm already fluent, it isn't easy. Although, learning a language is a lot less stress when you actually want to learn it.
    I am the moonlight walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra037 View Post
    All I can say is good luck to you, and try to speak it as often as you can, preferably with people that are fluent and willing to help you.

From my experience of trying to learn to read and write Chinese even though I'm already fluent, it isn't easy. Although, learning a language is a lot less stress when you actually want to learn it.
    I know no one with the knowledeg to speak the language T_T
    I'm a Manga/Anime lover.

There is no "easy way" to learn another language, especially one as different as Japanese. The best way to learn would be full immersion, but since you said that isn't an option you might what to look into getting some books and some audio lessons.
    I use sarcasm because I'm not close enough to strangle you.