Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Roger's Devil Fruit Power?

I've had this assumption for a long time, just never posted it. I joined this forum today just because I wanted to talk about it. I noticed someone else, Raizen, has hit on this also, but i wanted to just put this out there. My assumption was that when you die, your devil's fruit goes back into the ocean for someone to find. When Roger died, everyone went around looking for it and Shanks was somehow able to come across it. This is when he met Luffy and when Luffy was able to get his current devil fruit power. It makes sense and seems to be around the same time, but they really haven't hinted at this anywhere that I have noticed in the manga. Any ideas? sources?

I totally agree, why would Shanks' crew be so distraught when Luffy eats the fruit? You could argue that they were going to sell the thing, but I really don't think that's the case. The Paramecia fruits aren't as coveted as say the Logia class fruits. One would think (can't say for sure) that if they were planning on selling it, it really wouldn't be worth that much. Plus, they're a badass pirate crew, I think its safe to say they weren't hurting for money...or at least not so much that their survival depended on the sale of one ordinary devil fruit.
    Last edited by Ashikage; 01-27-2010 at 05:27 AM.

am Start
    very good point^^
    Wenn ich nicht hier bin, bin ich aufm Sonnendeck...

No, I highly doubt this. Where did it even mention that Roger had an DF ability? Also, DF are worth heaps, people pay hundreds of millions for them. Even if it's not a Logia, just having an ability is enough to put you on the map. Also, it's only recently that Vega developed a machine to tell which DF does what, back then they wouldn't have a clue, well for most people anyways. Remember Kalifa and that, it was pot luck for them.

More over, I reckon Shanks was concerned about Luffy eating the DF because they wanted him to be a normal human, maybe incase he changed his mind about being a pirate once he had grown up, but also because not being able to swim is quite a big disadvantage when your out at sea most of the time. If you look at Shanks, he doesn't need a DF ability to pawn, Luffy could prob do the same (in the future).

Bagong Barrio, Caloocan City, Philippines
    By that time that Luffy was a kid it was just the start of the Great Pirate Era, the Devil Fruit's are just Freshly Out or so as they said.

And Shanks was only but a Rookie Pirate, I'm pretty sure he intended to eat it for himself or probably let one of his friends eat it.
    "With a thrust it's a Spear; with a sweep it's a Naginata, when you hold it, it's a Longsword; a Cane can become each of those things!"-

Kugatachi Danki

Bored? Play BattleDawn
    "The Best Strategy MMO Browser Game"
    http://www.battledawn.com?amp;referer_id=2805143

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Agustin View Post
    By that time that Luffy was a kid it was just the start of the Great Pirate Era, the Devil Fruit's are just Freshly Out or so as they said.

And Shanks was only but a Rookie Pirate, I'm pretty sure he intended to eat it for himself or probably let one of his friends eat it.
    Red: But they already had discovered the DFs before, when Shanks and Buggy were on Roger's ship.

Blue: This could be true.
    Ava & Sig created by Max
    v Credits to IIDX v
    Spoiler!

Roger also had the power to hear/understand all things right?

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    No, I highly doubt this. Where did it even mention that Roger had an DF ability?
    raylings mentions to robin that roger had the power to hear all this, thats how he was able to write in the huge cube in sky island

I like this theory! It would be a total trip to see Gol D. Roger having gomu gomu attacks just like Luffy and stuff haha, maybe even the same personality! But dont you think someone would have noticed his powers a while ago when he used them, like Buggy, Raleigh, WB, etc?
    A pie in the sky?

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    But dont you think someone would have noticed his powers a while ago when he used them, like Buggy, Raleigh, WB, etc?
    Exactly, we've seen a lot of characters that have known Roger. One of them would have at least made some reference to them having the same ability. This is the biggest flaw in the theory.

The process of what happens to a DF after it's current user dies is something I'd like to see explained though.