Confusion on Gaara, his sand ability and Shukaku

I'm rewatching Naruto now with my wife and noticed a few things. First, his sand controlling abilities, these came from his mother right? Or rather, the auto-defense of the sand came from his mother? Controlling sand is like his clans ability? Like other people control other elements or? There seems to be some inconsistencies here, because other seem to state that the ability to control sand comes from Shukaku. What does it really come from?

I also believe it was stated (haven't gotten quite there yet in the anime) that Gaara's black lines around his eyes was due to his lack of sleep? Which can't be the case because his father also has those in the manga when he comes back as an edo. Though his eyes gradually get black lines, similar as Gaara has allways. So are the black lines around his eyes a result of the sand controlling jutsu? And the reason Gaara has those lines permanently is because of his mothers auto defense? Making that ability stay constantly on? Or?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Bones View Post
    I'm rewatching Naruto now with my wife and noticed a few things.
    Right... anyway, this question should have been made in the ask a question thread.

You get black lines under your eyes when you lack sleep, not around them. From the very beginning Kishi was hinting on something here, unless Asians for some reason get them around their eyes...

At this point in the story, Kishi have seemingly changed many things form the first part, to the point that the story lost a lot of it's quality and credibility. The thing with Gaara might, but not necessary, be one of those.

In the recent war, it was shown that when Gaara's father activates his kekkei genkai, he gets black line around his eyes. Gaara's eyes always have black lines, even after finally getting sleep (since he is no longer a jinchurki of Shukaku). This suggests that Gaara's kekkei genkai is permanently active. The only thing for sure is that Garaa was born with them (at least according to the anime version) and had them even before Shukaku was sealed within him.

Seeing as he lost the auto-block-defense sand after his bijuu was reaped apart form him, would suggest that it was working thanks to Shukaku. Now, the question is, was it working because of Shukaku (like protecting his host) or thanks to his power, like his mother using Shukaku's power to fuel a jutsu that she put on her son (something similar that 4th and Kushina did with Naruto ?).

We don't know if Gaara's mother had any sort of kekkei genkai, while his father could manipulate gold easily. Interesting enough is that we don't even know their surnames. Not even once a surname of his mother, father or even Gaara is mentioned. The only thing we know is that Gaara is an Uzumaki, quite likely even more of an Uzumaki than Naruto, as can be noted by the clan's trademark red hair (as mentioned by Kabuto, all red hairs are Uzumaki).

Gaara's traits, his red hair and green eyes, are no where seen in his parents (well maybe a little in his father's hair color), so it's a mystery how he got those in the first place :p.

People saying that Shukaku can use elements, and elemental jutsu are likely incorrect. The Bijuu by themselves are unable to use any of those, beside Bijuudama (which is an yin-yang jutsu), it's thanks to their hosts that they can display more of their power. It was stated a few times in the series that a Jinchuriki that can control it's beast is way more dangerous than a Bijuu by itself because of it. In the first place, Shukaku manifested by using Gaara's power and not directly his body like with Naruto and other jinchurki.

In short, Shukaku's battle style is different from other bijuu. Believed to be the weakest Bijuu by the number of tails, he came up with a different way to show his power, not by devouring his host, but by using it. Thanks to his host, Shukaku gained access to elemental jutsu, that would give him advantage over other bijuu that are using only raw power.

I can totally see superman taking on this Jesus.

tumblr_kydyre2pRy1qb4pafo1_400.jpg

Well, based on those brothers who got eaten by the 9-tails and got some of its power, it seems that as long as some of the Chakra remains, there is a chance the host could keep some abilities, but Gara is the only person shown to live and fight after losing their tailed beast.
    Spoiler!

He only lives because he was revived.

Quote Originally Posted by drgnx View Post
    Well, based on those brothers who got eaten by the 9-tails and got some of its power, it seems that as long as some of the Chakra remains, there is a chance the host could keep some abilities, but Gara is the only person shown to live and fight after losing their tailed beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    He only lives because he was revived.
    HB is right Gaara is alive because Chioba gave up her life, using a forbidden Jutsu, to revive him, along too with a portion of Naruto's Life force or Chakra.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

The only Jinchuriki to have survived the process of a bijuu been taken from them was Kushina, she did die, but only because she sacrificed herself for Naruto.

Gaara's black lines, suggest that, due to the imense chakra pool, that he had, thanks to Shukako's chakra, he was able to have is kekkei genkai always active, unlike his father.

The sand defense, was stated (i think, in the chunnin exams), to be Shukako, but we could interpet that it was Shukako's chakra that allowed gaara to "feeding" the sand with chakra, but the sand reaction would need a "consciousness" to be able to analise and react to someones attacks, so dispite the natural dislike from bijuu's towards humans/ninjas, it's safe to assume that Shukako, would prefer to protect his host, than dying.