Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Decidedly Undecided

Sakanade theory...

We all know that Shinji Hirako's Zanpakuto, Sakanade, has an interesting ability. In order for it to be effective at all, someone needs to get a whiff of whatever comes out of the holes in the blade.

Here's what I'm thinking.

Is Sakanade's ability dependent on how much of the scent is smelled? Is someone with an enhanced sense of smell, like, say, Komamura, more susceptible to it? On the flipside, is someone with no sense of smell whatsoever susceptible to it at all?

Ready, Set, Discuss!

(sig by Cross)

my deviantart page...:http://hagane90.deviantart.com/
    Note, I have no real drawing talent, so it'll be mostly literature.

Proud Grammar Nazi

If it works by smell, it would only make sense that anyone who can smell, no matter how sensitive they are to smell, would be susceptible to it. And a person who can't smell at all won't be affected by Sakanade. Much like a person who can't see won't be affected by Kyouka Suigetsu. That should do it for this thread unless there's something else.

Veteran Member What Is My Name?'s Avatar
    Anyone who has a nose should be able to smell and as far as I know, everyone who lives and breathes in Bleach has a nose. Back on topic, it could be that the more you smell, the stronger the effect of sakanade. Maybe it could invert one's body functions (move your left hand if you want to move your right hand or something)

Quote Originally Posted by What Is My Name? View Post
    Maybe it could invert one's body functions (move your left hand if you want to move your right hand or something)
    That would definitely be interesting.

The question then remains, HOW does Shinji fight, as it effects him too? Being closer to Sakenade, being its wielder, must mean he is always more directly exposed, so ultimately he will smell it stronger than others he is fighting against.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    The question then remains, HOW does Shinji fight, as it effects him too? Being closer to Sakenade, being its wielder, must mean he is always more directly exposed, so ultimately he will smell it stronger than others he is fighting against.
    Naturally, Shinji's own ability doesn't affect him. It's like one of the Anime Commandments: "Thou shalt not be affected by thy own ability, unless thy ability itself causes widespread, indiscriminate destruction."

Veteran Member
    Even if it does affect him, it is his zanpakuto, so he has already trained and mastered it if he even needed to. I mean, wasnt he upside down a lot? I know for a fact he was in the anime, i think he was also upside down a lot in the manga, too. he even drank water from a water bottle upside down they showed.. (couldve been anime)

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    I'm pretty sure he explained it...I remember him asking Aizen how one would fight under such conditions (Sakanade's), and he said something about experience, and the more that you've fought, the more your body instinctively knows how to move, regardless of how it's affected. Since Shinji's been a Captain, and Shinigami longer than Aizen, then he would have presumably been in more battles, and therefore has more experience...which means he just instinctively knows how to move while under the effect of his Zanpakuto.
    Last edited by Faizaud; 01-16-2010 at 08:07 AM.

666 Satan

Quote Originally Posted by Faizaud View Post
    I'm pretty sure he explained it...I remember him asking Aizen how one would fight under such conditions (Sakanade's), and he said something about experience, and the more that you've fought, the more your body instinctively knows how to move, regardless of how it's affected. Since Shinji's been a Captain, and Shinigami longer than Aizen, then he would have presumably been in more battles, and therefore has more experience...which means he just instinctively knows how to move while under the effect of Zanpakuto.
    I think he was saying the more experience you have the easier it is to fall for the effects of the zanpaktou, as u r instincts take over.

For eg. a new boxer wont exactly know when to expect a left hook no matter how much he trained, and hence might avoid it by chance or get caught depending on his luck.
    But an experienced boxer wont get caught coz he will expect it and take necessary precautions by instinct.
    Meaning in a reverse world experience will get u into more trouble.

P.S Sorry abt the crappy example

It certainly affects shinji, but he trains to master the inverted "world".
    LeggoMyWebbo