Theory: Who is the Soul King?

"The soul king is said to have abdicated his position and left for another dimension, perhaps out of dissatisfaction with the current state of affairs where Shinigmi fought Hollows, hollows killed humans, Quincy humans destroyed hollows, and Shinigamis acted like imperial masters to everyone else. Since Ichigo is part Human, Part Shinigami, Part Hollow, and probably Part Quincy, there would be no better candidate than he for the role of a unifier, who could project the soul king's vision of the spiritual and material worlds than he."
    -Paul Bee

This statement by Paul got me thinking. If the soul king abdicated his position and left for another dimension.. then he must be in a dimension we know of. IE, he must be on earth, in the soul society, or in hueco mundo/hell. As those are the only other dimensions that exist in bleach that we know of.

So who could it be? Who's motives are completely undiscernable throughout the entire manga? Who's been more of an observer and teacher to Ichigo? (grooming him for the job?) Who has been completely untouchable in combat? Who seems to have a solution for every problem? Who was there to spare Ichigo when Aizen had him beat? I think you may be catching my drift by now.

Spoiler!

That character is enshrouded in nothing but mystery. He was apart of soul-society for a bit, heading a science department working on strange and powerful artifacts (Hogyoku). He was living on earth in secrecy awaiting Ichigo to come of age. He helped groom his hollow powers. He saved him from Aizen.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree that he is a likely candidate? Or do you foresee something entirely different?

Thread Killer
    Wouldn't squad zero have recognized him?

plausible

Sorry but Urahara is not the Spirit King/Soul King. Oh and let me answer your questions.

1) It's been proven that The SK resides within a dimension above SS. The latest Chapter showed us this much.

2) Urahara has been both touched & defeated in battle. His opponents have been Yammy, Aizen, & Opie. With Aizen defeating him in combat. While Yammy & Opie simply wounded him. Oh and Ichigo came pretty close as well. I didn't include his battle inside the hut from the 'Turn Back The Pendulum' arc.

3) Urahara has failed to have a solution for several key issues. As I recall he has NEVER had a solution for Ichigo's Hollow issues. He noticed them but could only observe & ponder. Ichigo himself mention this when speaking to Rukia. It was then that Ichigo had no alternative but to turn to the Vizards for help. Urahara also could not find a way to destroy or control the Hogyoku. And I doubt Aizen would have stated that Urahara was following "That Thing" if Urahara himself was the SK.

Aizen says "Thing" while Urahara say "It" & "Linchpin". None of those sound like a being. Then again Kubo trolls so hard you never know.

From what I noticed, there are 3 views on what is the Soul King.

1. Aizen views it as an empty throne. The whole purpose of his struggle was to put someone (himself) on the throne, since he couldn't bear it being empty and being simply controlled by a thing.

2. Urahara views it as a linchpin. He considers it something that needs to exist, to maintain the balance of the worlds, a necessity.

3. Squad Zero views it as a will, that guides them in moments of strife, when the balance of the world is starting to fall.

Even thought, it is called a Soul King, it has long ago withdrawn from active leadership. The only duty that is left to it, is to preserve the balance. All of it's creation and things/beings beneath it, are only means in fulfilling such duty.

Senior Member King Of Soul Society's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblaze85 View Post
    "The soul king is said to have abdicated his position and left for another dimension, perhaps out of dissatisfaction with the current state of affairs where Shinigmi fought Hollows, hollows killed humans, Quincy humans destroyed hollows, and Shinigamis acted like imperial masters to everyone else. Since Ichigo is part Human, Part Shinigami, Part Hollow, and probably Part Quincy, there would be no better candidate than he for the role of a unifier, who could project the soul king's vision of the spiritual and material worlds than he."
    -Paul Bee
    in other words some sort of avatar?

He Who Speaks Without An Attentive Ear Is Mute.

Originally Posted by halaros536
    shut up you weakling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are just angry because i didnt let you became my SERVANT!!!!!! but icould not accept that because you are too weak to be my servant sorry

Tricky tricky...most manga's have a problem when introducing an almighty being. Raises infinite number of possiblities and scenarios if not done correctly and as if bleach doesn't already have enough cases of deux ex machina.

Personally I wouldn't want the soul king to be a single being maybe something more of an ideal with a will or something

Some kind of reality Warper, who has quincy, hollow, Vizard, Arrancar, Shinigami, human, "modified soul"/Bount, Hell, and Fullbring powers

Related to Ichigo like everyone else..
    Last edited by drgnx; 12-13-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by drgnx View Post
    Some kind of reality Warper, who has quincy, hollow, Vizard, Arrancar, Shinigami, human, "modified soul"/Bount, Hell, and Fullbring powers

Related to Ichigo like everyone else..
    ^ That's funny...

I don't think it's Urahara that would be lame. I don't think it's anyone we have met so far. I would like to think its Aizen's father. No real logical explanation just they fucking look alike >:-(

DC Universe online
    Soul Calibur 4 soon 5
    MW Games
    Black Ops Zombies Pro
    UMvC3
    add ShinjiUrahara (PS3 only)