Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinoh View Post
    Uncharted 2 totally deserves it though.
    Agreed, although there are a lot of other categories with nominees that are completely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangaz View Post
    The RPG category supprised me, because... well, I was expecting there to be proper RPG games among the nominations. (well, turn based stuff anyways)
    Turn based RPG's are very nearly dead. There's nothing wrong with using a different battle system, and Borderlands is an amazing game.

That being said, I understand liking classic RPG's more, but that doesn't necessarily mean turn based. Dragon Age: Origins is a classic style RPG, but it's not turn based.

Quote Originally Posted by Redfuzzy View Post
    Turn based RPG's are very nearly dead. There's nothing wrong with using a different battle system, and Borderlands is an amazing game.

That being said, I understand liking classic RPG's more, but that doesn't necessarily mean turn based. Dragon Age: Origins is a classic style RPG, but it's not turn based.
    There wasn't any turn based RPG worth mentioning this year anyways. Hopefully, FF13 will change it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzle View Post
    Hopefully, FF13 will change it next year.
    lol, I don't have a single doubt that FF13 will win that category next year, heck it might even nab a couple of other catagories.

Quote Originally Posted by [Cross] View Post
    lol, I don't have a single doubt that FF13 will win that category next year, heck it might even nab a couple of other catagories.
    Well, Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 will also come out next year, so I guess it will be a tough competition for that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzle View Post
    Well, Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 will also come out next year, so I guess it will be a tough competition for that spot.
    Tough competition yes, but because of the method of voting (online voting) quality won't necessarily win over booming popularity.

Online voting is only a part of it. Let me quote something from my recent GameInformer.

Quote Originally Posted by Game Informer Issue 200
    The first major move was to ensure that the awards went to the most deserving candidates, so they installed a panel of approximately 30 gaming journalists from a variety of print and online outlets to decide the nominees and ultimately vote on the winners.[Full dsiclosure: Game Informer participates in this panel.]

....Additionally, fans can vote online for all award categories for the first time alongside Spike's traditional panel of video game journalists for a blended result.
    They are actually taking into account both popularity and critical acclaim.

They are actually taking into account both popularity and critical acclaim.
    However, it's improbable to believe that all titles included will have equal popularity. Some will surely have more than others, and in some cases, some might have overwhelming popularity over everything else. Though my comment was a little incorrect, it sounds like I'm saying Final Fantasy 13 won't be quality, but what I meant was simply that long standing franchises have that element working for them that might tip the scales.

The votes of the journalists seems interesting enough, because I imagine their votes carry more weight, if not then what's the point of them being picked to vote, they could do so anyways. Regardless, I like it that they are voting and that their votes have more weight, makes it less likely for fluke wins.

I guess you didn't quite understand my post. Spike has never used online voting for the VGA's before. I don't know how they did it at first, but for years now they have put together a panel of journalists to decide who the winners are.

This has not changed. The panel is still there. In fact, the games that you can vote for on their website were nominated by this panel. The panel has the final decision; the online voting is only a part of the winner selection process.

I highly doubt professional journalists will be swayed to vote on a winner simply because it is an older franchise. It will affect the online voting, but not the panel.

Edit: Just to clarify I'm not saying that FFXIII is going to be bad, or that the other two will automatically have favor over it because of the panel. FFXIII just won't be an automatic win because of it's popularity.

This has not changed. The panel is still there. In fact, the games that you can vote for on their website were nominated by this panel. The panel has the final decision; the online voting is only a part of the winner selection process.

I highly doubt professional journalists will be swayed to vote on a winner simply because it is an older franchise. It will affect the online voting, but not the panel.
    I just finished saying that the panel is good because they won't be swayed >.>
    But this is the first time I've ever really cared about the Spike VGAs let alone discussed them, so mind my knowledge of the process, I didn't know they just started using online voting.