Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Decidedly Undecided

Ichigo Overrated?

I just got an idea in my mind...Is it just me, or does Ichigo seem a little over-rated? I mean, take this into account...

The only fights he ever won w/o breaking a sweat were against three Lieutenants, Isane Kotetsu, Marechiyo Omaeda, and Chojiro Sasakibe. Chojiro is a lazy fat bastard, who never fights, EVER(I seriously wonder how such a fat lard-ass got into the Corvette of the Gotei 13 Divisions). Isane comes from the 4th Division, which has the weakest physical attackers in the Gotei 13. Chojiro is...Well...He used a rapier against a freakin' Uber-cleaver. How did he think that would turn out?

He got his ass handed to him by Byakuya, Aizen, Yammy, Renji, Grimmjow(twice), and Ulquiorra, his Inner Hollow nearly took him over for good, he was killed, twice, by the same guy(Ulquiorra), and he barely managed a victory against Grimmjow, who wasn't even in the top 5 Espada, and that was when he(ichigo) had Hollowfied. Hell, Aizen even managed to cut him almost completely in half(easily my favorite moment in Vol.20, hands down).

Which brings me to his so-called "victories". He managed to beat Renji okay, after breaking Renji's only real means of offense, and with an OMFG Hax Random Getsuuga Tenshou(I seriously think Zangetsu was watching this fight the whole time, and decided not to let himself suffer any further embarrassment and fired that attack off).

Next, we have Byakuya. Here is where his overrated-ness really shines. Not only did Hollow Ichigo(who will henceforth be referred to as Shirosaki) interfere and utterly pwn Byakuya, but Ichigo didn't even technically win. Byakuya SURRENDERED.

A couple hundred ass-whuppings later, Ichigo faces off against Grimmjow for the 3rd and final time, just barely scraping out a win. Almost instantly after, Ichigo gets pwned again, this time by Nnoitra Jiruga and his Fraccion with the wierd Zanpakuto, effectively canceling out his earlier win.

And finally, in his grandest display of Fail, and I mean EVER(seriously, he'll have a hard time topping this), is his second fight with Ulquiorra Cifer, the Cuatro Espada.

He begins okay enough, but only because he literally pulls out all the stops FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. Anyone who plays any type of RPG, and manages to make it to the Final Boss, knows that this is NOT A GOOD THING TO DO. I mean, think about it. How many of these bosses have a couple more forms, one after the other? But I digress...

So, Ichigo comes in swinging, Ulquiorra gets shaken up. Ichigo opens up his big fat mouth and says that Ulquiora is slightly becoming more human, which pisses off The Most Badass Emo In Existence. Ulquiorra doesn't even release, he just flares up his Reiatsu, and gains a noticeable advantage. Then, when Ichigo manages to cut him(once, barely, on the cheek), he releases, and begins to totally, completely, and utterly RAPE Ichigo(not literally of course, this ins't a Yaoi manga, thank God).

Then Ulquiorra kills Ichigo, who is brought back to life by Shirosaki imitating Zangetsu's sentiments from the Ichigo/Renji bout I mentioned before. Ichigo now has the powers of a Hollow God, only without any of the sanity/mental capacity. He simply decides to return Ulquiorra's favor of waking him up with the world's most painful handshake(ripping Ulquiorra's arm off). Then, Ichigo goes and blasts Ulquiorra not only TO Hell, but CLEAN THROUGH ALL 7 CIRCLES(an exaggeration, but I like to imagine this kind of thing...for kicks, I like to imagine Ulquiorra waving at the chained form of Satan as he goes soaring past(Ulquiorra, not the devil).

Then, in what can only be explained as the ultimate Product Malfunction, the mask breaks, thus returning Ichigo to normal(save one insane orange mullet). At this point, Kubo decides to use his own Bankai and use its power of HAXXXORZ to kill off Ulquiorra, while making Ichigo lament over his 'victory', stating how 'this wasn't how he wanted to win'. You're lucky to have won at all!!!

Next, in a rather lackluster show, Ichigo proceeds to fight Yammy, in a nearly perfect recap of their first bout. Ichigo goes Bankai, lands one decent blow, then gets pwned once more, only to be saved at the last moment by two people fans were recently wondering "where are they now?".

In conclusion, Ichigo is not only overrated, but he is pretty damn weak when you think about it.

Ready, Set, Discuss!

(sig by Cross)

my deviantart page...:http://hagane90.deviantart.com/
    Note, I have no real drawing talent, so it'll be mostly literature.

Proud Grammar Nazi

I know you took the time to write this and all, and Imma let you finish. But... naw I'm kidding.

The main character in stories really aren't overrated. If anything they are usually underrated. Notice how in stories other characters have abilities that may seem to over shadow a main character? Like Sasuke's Sharingan abilities over Naruto from the beginning. The Bleach Captains abilities over Ichigo. Crocs abilities (even tho he should have never lost to luffy) over Luffy.

Main characters need these obstacles to over come to properly progress the stories.

He begins okay enough, but only because he literally pulls out all the stops FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. Anyone who plays any type of RPG, and manages to make it to the Final Boss, knows that this is NOT A GOOD THING TO DO. I mean, think about it. How many of these bosses have a couple more forms, one after the other? But I digress...
    Depends on which phase you want to finish the quickest

And I agree with Hand Bandana. And honestly, Ichigo isn't that liked as a character (not around here anyways), so I don't see how exactly he is overrated. I also agree with Hand Bandana that he is underrated, and that the main character must usually loose more important fights for the sake of plot progression. If the main character never lost, there is simply no need for them to become stronger.

You totally forgot Ichigo owned Dordonii Alessandro Del Socacchio. Wth is wrong with you leaving that out. :x

YOU WA SHOCK!

Its funny that the only people that you listed Ichigo having his ass handed to are those who were arguably the strongest characters of the manga at the time. I mean the only exceptions listed are Yammi and Renji. You were really expecting Ichigo to walk through Byakuya, Grimmjow, Ulquiorra, and Aizen? How were you expecting these encounters to go?

Quote Originally Posted by afro thunda View Post
    Its funny that the only people that you listed Ichigo having his ass handed to are those who were arguably the strongest characters of the manga at the time. I mean the only exceptions listed are Yammi and Renji. You were really expecting Ichigo to walk through Byakuya, Grimmjow, Ulquiorra, and Aizen? How were you expecting these encounters to go?
    Yeah, this isn't prince of tennis. The main character in most shonen mangas usually has a tough time overcoming adversaries. Otherwise, it wouldn't be very entertaining now would it? Side Characters however are not necessarily subjected to this rule because it tends to draw out fights that are not normally as anticipated as that of the main character's, which can get quite tedious at times(see most of the HM arc as proof of this).

Prick List: Gaara, Bee Genesis 1.0's Avatar
    I agree with the general sentiment here, Ichigo's definitely underrated considering the quality of his opponents. It's the point of having a main character, it's the dynamic, he's written to have these struggles.

As to the entire post, I don't agree with most of it, but one thing really shot out at me: You said that by losng after defeating Grimmjow, his victory was cancelled.

W-T-F

"For I being a poor man, have only my dreams & I have spread them beneath your feet. Tread carefully, for you tread upon my dreams."

My stance on this still remains that Ichigo has had wins that he shouldn't have logically won, given hindsight. However, hindsight is always 20/20, and Ichigo is a main character and as such is supposed to grow.

So, I'll reserve my full ratings for him as a character at the completion of the series (which should be when I'm around 60 if I'm lucky.)

Prick List: Gaara, Bee Genesis 1.0's Avatar
    I never thought Inuyasha should have cut off Sesshomaru' arm, that Goku should have defeated Vegeta, that Hiro should have won 90% of his fights, Butch shouldn't have killed Vincent, and the list goes on.

Main characters have it rough.

"For I being a poor man, have only my dreams & I have spread them beneath your feet. Tread carefully, for you tread upon my dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post
    My stance on this still remains that Ichigo has had wins that he shouldn't have logically won, given hindsight. However, hindsight is always 20/20, and Ichigo is a main character and as such is supposed to grow.

So, I'll reserve my full ratings for him as a character at the completion of the series (which should be when I'm around 60 if I'm lucky.)
    Ya but if you look at his fmajor fights it really should been draws.

His fight with Renji in SS left him pretty fucked up. He barely won that.

His fight with Kenpachi was a tie. Because Kenpachi was still conscious while Ichigo was out for a day or two.

His fight with Byakuya was only a win in defeating his pride. Physically Byakuya was still able to fight.

His fight with grimmjaw which took him like twice was finally won because orihime used her name chant spell to raise his defense and luck by like over 70%

His fight with that four arm dude would of been a L since they covered orihime's mouth. Had she been able to scream out his name she would of boosted his defense and luck.

That emo bat dude same thing. orihime used her chant spell and increased it by 100 fold.

So you can expect all his big victories will be due to the results of orihime opening her big fucking mouth. Chad's semi death brink and four eyes semi death defeat did nothing to really encourage him. Take orihime out the equation and bingo! Ichigo is dead.