Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is Byakuya trying to protect?

In the Current anime arc, Byakuya is up to something, he says he is following his own instinct and that he wishes to protect his pride.

We may soon find out what it all means, but untill the anime tells all, we may prognosticate as we wish.

Question: What do you fans think is the reason for Byakuya's behaviour? What is the pride he is trying to protect.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

THE ESPADA WILL RISE E S P A D A's Avatar
    Well, I was watching this week's episode and recalled Byakuya saying that he was following his instinct, which was "to protect his pride", right? I thought of it and remembered Byakuya's fight against Zommari where he said "I'm killing you because you dared point such a dull blade at my pride", and the picture passed to Rukia holding her sword against her neck. I interpreted that as if Rukia was, metaphorically of course, Byakuya's pride. So maybe when he joined the zanpakutos to follow his instinct of protecting his pride, he's trying to protect Rukia. It doesn't make much sense considering that he "killed" Sode no Shirayuki, but then again, it's Byakuya who has prevented Rukia from escalating ranks to protect her from dangerous mission. Maybe from his twisted POV, ripping Rukia of her Shinigami powers, he's protecting her? I agree that it makes little sense, but it's still a possibility I think. I'd like to hear your opinions about this.
    The time has come to destroy the village of the leaf.

I think his pride has always centered around the Kuchiki lagacy, and in that respect avenging Rukia would go along well.

The Kuchiki Clan is the First among the noble houses that started Sereitei, so I wonder if this time, he is testing to see if Yamajii (who was sealed) is worthy of being the Captain Commander? He could see his duty as Head of the Kuchiki as inclusive of watching the fidelity and worthiness of the current Captain commander.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

It could be because his zanpakuto was taken away, he feels powerless. Hence, the need to protect his pride, if you can't beat em, join em. He is also maybe doing it to learn more about the enemy so that he can find out where Yama-ji is and also defeat the enemy.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently reading/watching:
    One Piece, Naruto, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kenichi, Hajime No Ippo The Rising, Hunter x Hunter

Powerless because Byakuya lost his zanpakuto? Nah. Totally not Byakuya's style. As he demonstrated against Sode no Shirayuki, he's far from powerless without his zanpakuto's ability. Anyway, I assume Byakuya (or his family) has some kind of connection to Muramasa or his former wielder, and he feels that it is his and his duty alone to solve thie problem.

Sode no Shirayuki was just a shikai zanpakuto. He has to deal with his own, which Ichigo hasn't even beaten after fighting 5 times with bankai. I thought he would get owned by Kenpachi, but it escaped.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently reading/watching:
    One Piece, Naruto, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kenichi, Hajime No Ippo The Rising, Hunter x Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfox87 View Post
    Sode no Shirayuki was just a shikai zanpakuto. He has to deal with his own, which Ichigo hasn't even beaten after fighting 5 times with bankai.
    Still doesn't disprove the fact that Byakuya is far from powerless without his zanpakuto's ability considering he beat a shikai zanpakuto without his own shikai. He punked his own zanpakuto without even having to fight it. The dude's hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by afro thunda View Post
    Powerless because Byakuya lost his zanpakuto? Nah. Totally not Byakuya's style. As he demonstrated against Sode no Shirayuki, he's far from powerless without his zanpakuto's ability. Anyway, I assume Byakuya (or his family) has some kind of connection to Muramasa or his former wielder, and he feels that it is his and his duty alone to solve thie problem.
    I think you got it, afrothunda!

Remember,that Muramasa sent Byakuya to do some errand to the 6th (his own) Squad quarters, which are located at the Kuchiki state, He must be retrieving some important document or object linking Muramasa and that clan.

and he feels that it is his and his duty alone to solve thie problem.
    This is basically the core of his personality. He feels/thinks he is a person to have a great responsibility, and as the leader of the Kuchiki clan it is his duty to carry it out regardless of his personal feelings. After his final fight with Ichigo, he reconsidered and realized that while duty to his family is great, following his own will is greater, such as when he promised to look after Rukia. This was why he acted all messed up in the SS arc because he didn't know what to prioritize.

This Machine Pwns n00bs Amargo Deathscythe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    This is basically the core of his personality. He feels/thinks he is a person to have a great responsibility, and as the leader of the Kuchiki clan it is his duty to carry it out regardless of his personal feelings. After his final fight with Ichigo, he reconsidered and realized that while duty to his family is great, following his own will is greater, such as when he promised to look after Rukia. This was why he acted all messed up in the SS arc because he didn't know what to prioritize.
    for once i agree with you lol

SIG AND AVA BY JAIDEN