Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    One hole in the theory comes into mind: Zangetsu doesn't necessarily mean "Moon cutter." It can also mean "Cutting Moon" (which makes more sense IMHO, based on the shape of the blade and on its attacks). Notice that Suigetsu is translated into "Water moon", why can't Zangetsu be translated into "Cutting/beheading/killing moon"?

So, it can imply the theory, or the opposite, that Ichigo's sword is somehow similar to Aizen's, like how there may be different "Moon"/"Getsu" swords scattered all over the place, and Aizen is only the first. Hard to see Kubo create a villain that trumps Aizen, though.

So changing Zangetsu's meaning from "Moon Cutter" to "Cutting Moon" presents a hole in the theory to you even though both meanings allude to the same thing? You lost me in your thought process, kuroihikari lol.

Well, at least as it applies to Aizen-Ichigo, this theory is plausible. Although personally, I don't believe the names of their swords are gonna factor in the final battle at all. Considering that zanpakuto names haven't factored into any battle beforehand, it would be very, very lame if, all of a sudden, they made a difference now.

Quote Originally Posted by afro thunda View Post
    So changing Zangetsu's meaning from "Moon Cutter" to "Cutting Moon" presents a hole in the theory to you even though both meanings allude to the same thing? You lost me in your thought process, kuroihikari lol.
    I don't think I may have worded that properly, heh.

The entire basis of the theory is the name of Ichigo's sword "Zangetsu" as being translated into Moon Cutter, i.e. "Something which cuts the moon", the moon being Suigetsu, the "Water Moon".

Yet, "Zangetsu" can also be translated into "Cutting Moon", i.e. "The Moon that cuts", so instead of it being that thing which cuts Suigetsu, it's another "Moon" just like Suigetsu, is, but instead of being a water moon that flowers and creates mirrors, it's a moon that cuts.

No worries, though, it's just a thing of semantics lost in translation, which makes me, like you, think that it's not really important.

Quote Originally Posted by afro thunda View Post

Well, at least as it applies to Aizen-Ichigo, this theory is plausible. Although personally, I don't believe the names of their swords are gonna factor in the final battle at all. Considering that zanpakuto names haven't factored into any battle beforehand, it would be very, very lame if, all of a sudden, they made a difference now.
    He basically meant that both swords are similar to each other, and that Ichigo's sword may possibly contain similar powers as Aizen's, if developed properly in time. There is a semantic difference in Cutting Moon and Moon Cutter as well. The former means that the moon can cut, the latter means that the sword can cut the moon, although generally speaking, one may say that they don't look that different.

it would be very, very lame if, all of a sudden, they made a difference now.
    I like the idea, but yes, it should've been introduced WAY earlier in that case. So far, I think the names are more alluding to the personality of the characters wielding the swords though.

We need someone proficient in Japanese kanji writting, to get well the info.

Veteran Member What Is My Name?'s Avatar
    made a thread on this a while back, nice to see you brought up this interesting idea again
    http://mangashare.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6566

Quote Originally Posted by zokotroco View Post
    We need someone proficient in Japanese kanji writting, to get well the info.
    So Kuroi isn't good enough although he can read?

I think it'd be cool if Aizen's zanpakuto manifested itself in a human-like apparition like Old Man Zangetsu. Perhaps an emotionless Femme Fatale with immense powers. That's just my utter optimism talking

Hopefully though Aizen's zanpakuto is given some form. Old Man Zangetsu, baboon monkey Zabimaru, and Ice Dragon Hyourinmaru are the only Zanpakutos to have beeen given a "guiding spirit/manifestation" if I'm not mistaken.

Would be cool to see Aizen's take on the Sprit Guide thing.

As long as everything just keeps on flowing forward, then that's already enough.
    Where there's a will there's a way!
    Spoiler!

This Machine Pwns n00bs Amargo Deathscythe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilight View Post
    I think it'd be cool if Aizen's zanpakuto manifested itself in a human-like apparition like Old Man Zangetsu. Perhaps an emotionless Femme Fatale with immense powers. That's just my utter optimism talking

Hopefully though Aizen's zanpakuto is given some form. Old Man Zangetsu, baboon monkey Zabimaru, and Ice Dragon Hyourinmaru are the only Zanpakutos to have beeen given a "guiding spirit/manifestation" if I'm not mistaken.

Would be cool to see Aizen's take on the Sprit Guide thing.
    that would be kinda cool

SIG AND AVA BY JAIDEN

I think we have forgotten something-Aizen and co were doing experiments on hollowficitaion right?I think Aizen and co have something under their sleeves.Also not to forget that Aizen called the Vizards low version of hollow.