I know this is kind of old subject matter but I started this thread to address the time Naruto spent training with Jiraiya was time well spent.
I understand that some people felt a little dissappointed by Naruto's development after the time skip because their expectations where so high.So lets examine things a bit closer.
- First I know people wonder why didnt Naruto learn a bunch of new Jutsu's so lets look at why.
- We see that Nagato's group leanred a few Jutsu's under thier time with Jiraiya. However you have to remember they knew nothing about chakra control and had 0 jutsu's to start and where below academy level by leaf village standards. So you could see them at the end of their training being at the level Naruto was when he started his time with J-man.
- Naruto had already developed his own style of fighting when he started with Jiraiya so thats what J-man focused on.
The whole idea of J-mans training was to focus on building up Naruto's strengths by focusing on them. So if you happen to look at the 2nd Databook stats on Naruto you see clearly his highest stats at that time was his Stamina.
- Its already been explained that you can increases you Stamina / Chakra capacity thru physical training like we saw Kakashi climbing a moutain with 1 hand to build up his during Sasuke's training. J-man knew that maximizing Narutos incredable Stamina/chakra would would be a powerfull tool for him to use in the future to develop more powerfull jutsu's.
- Secondly J-man kenw that Naruto was gonna have to face of against S-class shinobi at some point. J-mans most powerfull Jutsu's where Frog based and related to his sage training & Naruto was no where near ready to start that. Even if he taught him some basic elemental jutsu's a couple of random average powerd Jutsu's may have an effect on a Chunnin or even low Jounin but would not be enough to turn the tide of battle against S-class ninja.
- Helping Naruto to develop his stamina so he could take Rasengan to a higher level would be a powerfull jutsu in his arsenel that could use against Akatsuki. Also training to control his Tailed beast power is something all Jinchurikan have trouble doing and takes years of training to master.
- Even Gaara had not leanred to master this form so he just surpessed it as Naruto does. The 8 tails routinly does training in his beast mode as we saw to maintain such mastery level control.
- He also covered Narutos weak points by teaching him an advanced Genjutsu counter as well as devloping his overall skill & tactics as we saw in his battle with Kakashi.
- However the same training methods are used by almost all the charcters by building on their strengths / the skills they already have. Take Sasuke for example his speed stood out when he battled with Haku by matching her speed. Then after training with Kakashi he took his speed closer to Lee's level. He also was taught his singature move Chidori and already had Fire Jutsu's under his belt.
- Then look at time skip Sasuke hes simply built on these strengths with increased speed , more fire Jutsu's and expanded Chidori variants. The same is true with all the gennin charcters who just built on what they had its just some like Sasuke where more well rounded from the start so thier growth stands out more.
Please post ur ideas and thoughts on this.