Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar

The Great American Otaku Survey

Otaku USA in conjunction with Famitsu recently polled American Otaku to discover their tastes. Here's the lists and comments that come from that survey. Discuss whether or not you agree or disagree with the results.

The September 25th issue of Famitsu had a section on otaku from around the world this week. They sometimes write articles like this from foreign conventions to give Japanese a look at how foreign gamers and anime fans are.

There was a survey that polled 800 American otaku on their favorite things from the world of Japanese entertainment, so I thought it would be fun to take a look.

Favorite Game
    1st Final Fantasy VII
    2nd Kingdom Hearts
    3rd Metal Gear Solid
    4th Chrono Trigger
    5th Final Fantasy
    5th Final Fantasy IX
    7th The Legend of Zelda
    7th Shadow of the Colossus
    7th Persona 4
    10th The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Additional comments:
    “Chrono Trigger is an RPG that stands the test of time; I thoroughly enjoy playing it, even now!” ~ Nick Colucci, 27
    “Disgaea is a weird and wild game that I really enjoyed playing. The replay value is so great with all the multiple endings and insane levels your characters can reach.” ~ Anonymous
    “Xenogears was the first JRPG I ever played. I love it so much I even got a gear tatoo on my shoulder.” ~ Adam Dunphy, 26
    —————
    Favorite Anime
    1st Cowboy Bebop
    2nd Gurren Lagann
    3rd Code Geass
    4th FLCL
    4th Evangelion
    6th Full Metal Alchemist
    7th BLEACH
    7th NARUTO
    9th Rurouni Kenshin
    10th ONE PIECE

Additional comments:
    “Naruto changed my life! I never used to stand out, or really have any friends, but now I’m different!” ~ Jennifer, 16
    “Belldandy is my wife!” ~ Clay, 24
    “OMAI WA MO SHINDERU!” ~ Brandon, 25
    —————
    Favorite Manga
    1st NARUTO
    2nd Hellsing
    3rd ONE PIECE
    4th BLEACH
    5th DEATH NOTE
    6th Full Metal Alchemist
    6th Negima! Magister Negi Magi
    8th Dragonball
    9th Genshiken
    9th Rurouni Kenshin

Additional Comments:
    “Naniwa Kinyuudou really strikes a chord with me.” ~ Jake, 27
    “When I read Fruits Basket, I instantly became a shoujo manga fan.” ~ AJR, 16
    “Genshiken is something real that many people can identify with.” ~ Nicholas, 23
    —————
    Subtitles or Dubs?

Here, survey participants were asked whether they preferred to watch anime or play games with subtitles or have the dialogue dubbed into English.

Subtitles – 66.1%
    Dubs – 21.8%
    Whichever – 12.1%

Additional Comments:
    “I like subtitles, because it keeps the anime closer to the original production. With dubbing you lose the original intention of the director and the voice artists.” ~ Anonymous, 53
    “Subtitles! It lets me study my Japanese.” ~ Mari, 32
    “I absolutely go with dubs. Subtitles get in the way of the beautiful artwork.” ~ Anonymous
    “In anime like Cowboy Bebop, where the characters are western, I like dubs. Otherwise, subtitles are fine. For instance, Noa Izumi from Patlabor sounds really cartoony and childish dubbed.” ~ David, 20
    —————
    Favorite Game Creator or Company
    1st Square Enix
    2nd Nintendo
    3rd Capcom
    4th Atlus
    5th Hideo Kojima
    6th KONAMI
    7th Shigeru Miyamoto
    8th Tetsuya Nomura
    9th SEGA
    10th Goichi Suda

Additional Comments:
    “I got ‘SNK’ and ‘Team Ninja’ tatoos on my body.” ~ B.N., 24
    “BANDAI and Kadokawa Books have delivered many a blessing upon otaku around the world.” ~ Philip, age unknown
    “Tomohiro Nishikado, the man who made Space Invaders.” ~ Anonymous, 24
    “Katamari Damacy, made Keita Takahashi, is always my first choice when I want to play something really fun.” ~ Zac Bentz, 32
    —————
    What would you like to see sold in the US?

Here, survey participants were asked about unreleased games, anime, movies, novels or anything else that they would like to see made available in North America.

“Why… why won’t Nintendo release Mother 3 in America?!” ~ Ivan Yang, 16
    “Eden of the East. I hear it’s the best quality anime on TV right now.” ~ Christian Valdez, 19
    “Those characters from K-On! are just sooo cute!” ~ Mr. Waffle, 26
    “Man, I just can’t wait for the new Full Metal Alchemist series to be released in America!” ~ Rachal, 19
    “I want to play Ryuu ga Gotoku 3.” ~ Joshua Miller, 30
    “Release Siren 2 in America!” ~ Zac Bentz, 32
    “The work of Shigeru Mizuki should be shown in art houses.” ~ Ed Sizemore, 42
    “Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon for the Wii has great atmosphere and music.” ~ Clay Leatherwood, 24
    —————
    Favorite Animator or Animation Studio

1st Hayao Miyazaki
    2nd Shinichiro Watanabe
    3rd Kyoto Animation
    4th Gainax
    5th Hideaki Anno
    6th Satoshi Kon
    7th bones
    8th Sunrise
    9th Studio Ghibli
    10th Akiyuki Shinbo

Additional Comments:
    “The charm of Shinichiro Watanabe is his delicate balance of comedy and drama.” ~ Anonymous, 29
    “Tomino and Gundam.” ~ Rob, 22
    “I love Akiyuki Shinbo’s amazing visual style.” ~ Digital Boy, 18
    —————
    Favorite Manga Artist or Publisher

1st CLAMP
    2nd Akira Toriyama
    3rd Eiichiro Oda
    4th Masashi Kishimoto
    5th Ken Akamatsu
    6th Rumiko Takahashi
    7th Tite Kubo
    8th Kentaro Miura
    9th Kiyohiko Azuma
    10th Osamu Tezuka

Additional Comments:
    “You can really feel the aura of the girls that Masakazu Kastura draws.” ~ Cameron, 25
    “Junji Ito is just so amazing and produces deep, emotionally compelling illustrations.” ~ Zac Bentz, 32
    “Masamune Shirow really opens up my mind to all new ideas and possibilities with his work.” ~ Mari, 32

I'm just personally glad that people had enough sense to include Genshiken, Gurren Lagann, Atlus, Persona 4 and Goichi Suda on the list.

Link: http://www.umaguruma.com/?p=112

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

KeyserSöze+GregoryHouse=Ω Daraiki's Avatar
    one piece got owned

American Otaku?
    I remember why I hate them. Those comments by those geeks was enough to make me break something.
    Well, I am glad to see Ken Akamatsu on that list. He has status equall to Akira Toriyama. Also, I can see why people think Naruto is the greatest. American "Otaku's" are complete morons.

I Love You!
    Spoiler!

Yeah. Not surprising. One Piece is not that popular amongst the non-serious otaku.

EDIT:
    “Naruto changed my life! I never used to stand out, or really have any friends, but now I’m different!” ~ Jennifer, 16
    WTF, you needed Naruto to have friends?

Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post

WTF, you needed Naruto to have friends?
    XD I thought that was hilarious too but what really stood out for me was this.

“I like subtitles, because it keeps the anime closer to the original production. With dubbing you lose the original intention of the director and the voice artists.” ~ Anonymous, 53

53 years old? That's fucking awesome.

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

Xenogears really was the sht not suprising it was the same team that worked on Chrono trigger but he got a tatoo of it hahaha thats soo lol

Oh yea and Hayao Miyazaki FTW

Fire type

What chakra type are you?
    http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/4038...lement-are-you

Quote Originally Posted by Arisato-kun View Post

53 years old? That's fucking awesome.
    Hell yeah that's awesome, I see myself being 50 or older and still reading manga and watching anime with my kids or grandkids.

Hmmm, thought Nintendo would have been there favorite company.

Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,

Quote Originally Posted by [JUiCE] View Post
    glad dbz isnt up there...those morons know NOTHING
    Well I don't know about that. I'm inclined to agree with the anime list, only I think One Piece should be higher than both Naruto and Bleach, just below Rurouni Kenshin as well..

What I really find odd is how Naruto is #1 in manga but Kishi is only the #4 author....

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

Quote Originally Posted by Arisato-kun View Post
    Well I don't know about that. I'm inclined to agree with the anime list, only I think One Piece should be higher than both Naruto and Bleach, just below Rurouni Kenshin as well..

What I really find odd is how Naruto is #1 in manga but Kishi is only the #4 author....
    The girls at CLAMP got number 1. I haven't read Tsubasa yet, maybe I should.

Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,