Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Uhhhh.....Disney Buys Marvel!

WALT Disney agreed to buy Marvel Entertainment overnight for $US4 billion ($4.7 billion) in the biggest media deal of the year, banking on Marvel's roster of superheroes to broaden its lineup of movie franchises that appeal to boys.

Disney adds Iron Man, Incredible Hulk and Thor to its roster of lovable characters like Mickey Mouse and Snow White, and will feature the comic book heroes in movies before rolling out associated theme park rides, TV shows and merchandise.

But the deal comes at a tough time in the entertainment business, with advertisers avoiding spending on new campaigns and consumers cutting back on everything from DVDs to travel.

The deal is also expensive. The price tag values Marvel at 37 times its estimated 2009 earnings, and offers shareholders a 29 per cent premium to Friday's closing price. Standard & Poor's reacted by placing Disney's credit rating on its negative watchlist.

But the risk of overpaying did not deter Disney from seeking out a deal to address an area of concern among investors: How can it better reach more young males.

"This helps give Disney more important exposure to the young male demographic that they have sort of lost some ground with in recent years," said David Joyce, an analyst with Miller Tabak & Co.

Indeed, Disney has long been a blockbuster brand with girls thanks to characters such as Hannah Montana, Cinderella and Snow White, but has struggled to achieve the same kind of success with boys.

Movies including Iron Man 2, due to hit theaters next year, or 2011's Spider-Man 4 and Avengers should help resolve that issue.

Disney will also be able to use its marketing and entertainment strength - stretching from ABC to cable television to theme parks - to promote and build characters such as Thor in ways Marvel never could.

The deal is Disney's largest since the $US7.6 billion purchase of Pixar in 2006, and it immediately caused reverberations. Shares in DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc spiked 5 per cent on speculation it may become a takeover target.

And analysts raised questions about companies like Viacom, Discovery Communications, and Hasbro Inc that have existing business partnerships with Marvel.

To acquire Marvel, Disney agreed to pay a total of $US30 per share in cash plus about 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share owned. The deal was approved by the boards of both companies.

The shares of Marvel, which was founded in 1939 and rolled out its first blockbuster character, Captain America, in 1941, shot up to a high of $US49.29 before falling a bit to close at $US48.37 on the New York Stock Exchange.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/101/1019830p1.html

Im worried bout Marvel now...... Why Would they Sell out to Disney?!

.....Welp im all for Spider-Man Appering in the next KH game

Quote Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
    Got to be Shinhan for me, He dickrides the mods like there's no tomorrow.

So....Sora is going to see into Ironman's world? I'm not sure he has the alcohol tolerance...

Ravona

Ever wonder why one of your particularly bad posts has been deleted? Feel free to contact me!

It's official. Disney is trying to take over the world. I really hope that they don't try and make Marvel "Kid Friendly". This also only makes it harder for the Deadpool movie to be a Deadpool movie. Disney also loves censorship..... Why Marvel, why?

I Love You!
    Spoiler!

daaaaaaaaaaaam!!!!!!!! this is BAAD!

WTF is this.

Teh Horrible things Marvel is going to have to go through now

Quote Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
    Got to be Shinhan for me, He dickrides the mods like there's no tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris200 View Post

Im worried bout Marvel now...... Why Would they Sell out to Disney?!

.....Welp im all for Spider-Man Appering in the next KH game
    Quote Originally Posted by xioaxioa View Post
    It's official. Disney is trying to take over the world. I really hope that they don't try and make Marvel "Kid Friendly". This also only makes it harder for the Deadpool movie to be a Deadpool movie. Disney also loves censorship..... Why Marvel, why?
    Ahh you beat me to it Chris200, I was just about to make this thread. Well its all about money these days so I know why they did it but Disney why oh why it had to be Disney.

@ xioaxioa

Am with you on that one, I hope they don't try to make things kid friendly. In the press release today the Disney company said they are trying to lure in more boys and men to the Disney brand. So am like if that's what they are trying to do they better let Marvel keep doing there thing, just leave it as is. About the censoring the Deadpool movie and other movies under Marvel, since the production companys have rights to the movies before Disney brought Marvel they can make the movies as they wish. Since studios who are making movies for Marvel like Spider-Man 4, the X-Men Origin franchise, and Iron-Man, Disney has no clout on how they should be made because the studios have an existing deal with Marvel so they can continue to make the movies under that existing deal. That also includes Thor, Captain America, Avengers and any other movies the studios signed up to make. So Disney won't mess with the movies for now.

Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,

Naruto

this is funny. Only a matter of time before venom's teeth are sanded down to make them more kid friendly. As long as disney doesn't interfere with Marvel operations, this deal is fine by me. Disney has financial stability while Marvel was struggling, would you want to see them sell out to DC Comics instead?

The next kingdom hearts game team are worried cause their workload just tripled with all the different worlds they would need to add into it, lol.
    A bridge towards peace; the will of fire still endures!

Rokudaime Hokage, Rokudaime Rikudou Sennin Uzumaki Naruto

Quote Originally Posted by ·Rokudaime Sennin· ™ View Post
    this is funny. Only a matter of time before venom's teeth are sanded down to make them more kid friendly. As long as disney doesn't interfere with Marvel operations, this deal is fine by me. Disney has financial stability while Marvel was struggling, would you want to see them sell out to DC Comics instead?

The next kingdom hearts game team are worried cause their workload just tripled with all the different worlds they would need to add into it, lol.
    That's what am saying, if Disney let Marvel do what they do, am cool with it. I just don't want to see a Mickey and a Wolverine team up in a comic book....I just can hear the groans coming from the kingdom hearts team now.

Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,

doesn't bode well.
    im not happy about this

made by [DFX]
    Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    you got me what I always wanted \o/
    you're now my favorite person.
    jaeger makes the internet go round