Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zidane21ps View Post
    Were the german/austrian cases on the news in the US? Of kidnapped girls who were kept as sex slaves, for decades and more. A very disgusting case in austria where the father kept his daughter as a sex slave, had kids with her (some died, others NEVER saw the sunlight). It was just last year, the process was this year... Joseph Fritzl. In case you want to read more about it: link
    Glad you mentioned this case, and the tragedy is great indeed, and their stories need to be heard. But it seems you miss the point.

Why do you think that news media all over the world are gripped by this case, whether it's the BBC, Australian media, Africa etc? Is it perhaps because of the uniqueness of the Girl turning up alive after so long? We hardly ever hear of children kidnapped by strangers, (much less by a criminal) being found alive after 18 years.

You may not get it Zidane, but it seems many many other people do. This story is going to grip the public imagination for weeks to come, and prompt for more action to protect these children.

It is certainly very much worth talking about.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

former mod
    Glad you mentioned this case, and the tragedy is great indeed, and their stories need to be heard. But it seems you miss the point.
    Or you miss the point? I was just pointing out how it's not a unique case, that it happens/happened elsewhere too, and was wondering if it was on the news in the US or not.

Why do you think that news media all over the world are gripped by this case, whether it's the BBC, Australian media, Africa etc? Is it perhaps because of the uniqueness of the Girl turning up alive after so long? We hardly ever hear of children kidnapped by strangers, (much less by a criminal) being found alive after 18 years.
    I doubt it's a big story in africa, where millions are dying of starvation, but thats another topic... this is not unique. 18 years, okay, that's a long time.
    But the case I linked before lasted even more than 18 years. As for a completely similar case, check Natasha Kampusch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natascha_Kampusch
    She freed herself after 8 years, but from what I get, it's pretty similar.

You may not get it Zidane, but it seems many many other people do. This story is going to grip the public imagination for weeks to come, and prompt for more action to protect these children.
    I may not get what? Again, I was merely stating that this case isn't as unique as you think, bringing another example. I don't see where I show a lack of understanding for the situation.

It is certainly very much worth talking about.
    Where do I state otherwise? I don't know, have you read some other comment of mine and commented on that? You totally talk in a different direction.

To be fair, it is pretty different from the European cases, because the victim in this recent case, (Gudard IIRC) actually developed an ongoing relationship with the suspect/perpetrator. Also, one of the co-accused was the suspects wife.

Basically, it's like a mini-version of the small-town pedophilic cult case also in the news a couple of years ago. Both of which are very disturbing in their own right.

former mod
    Stockholm syndrome, Natasha Kampusch had the same. She even lived in the house with him, only had to hide when his mother visited him. But yeah, I see the differences... I also see the similarities, person who disappeared long time ago appears again, physically in a more or less fine condition.

Anyway, Laura Dekker is what annoys me more on the news right now... since, she's dutch, and it's big on our german news? What the...
    She's 13 and wants to sail around the world (literally). This would take 2 years, and obviously carry a high risk. So there is a big break in society. One half supports the goverment who's trying to forbid it, yes even take her away from her parents. The other supports Laura and her parents, arguing that it's the kid and parents who have to decide, not the government. On a side not, it was Laura's idea.

Quote Originally Posted by zidane21ps View Post
    Anyway, Laura Dekker is what annoys me more on the news right now... since, she's dutch, and it's big on our german news? What the...
    She's 13 and wants to sail around the world (literally). This would take 2 years, and obviously carry a high risk. So there is a big break in society. One half supports the goverment who's trying to forbid it, yes even take her away from her parents. The other supports Laura and her parents, arguing that it's the kid and parents who have to decide, not the government. On a side not, it was Laura's idea.
    Will she be going with her parents? Because if she does, it won't be much different from that Wild Thornberries cartoon .

former mod
    No, that's the point... she wants to set a new world record, being the youngest person to sail around the world, alone. Her parents argue that she can use satelite phones and internet to catch up on school stuff, since thats the first thing the dutch gov. named as a reason to not allow her to pull this. Now they argue how it's too dangerous... I'm not really up-to-date anymore, it just annoyed me that that case made it on our news, and is "such a big news"...

It is big news most likely because European countries are big on choice, and this creates a sort of crisis on that.

I do agree, though, it IS crazy. I bet someone pulled the "Shall we destroy this girl's dreams?" card. Sailing involves a lot more decision making than most other forms of transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by SockPuppet View Post
    The extremely appalling part was the fact that the local law enforcement blew multiple oppurtunities to save the captive.
    Yup, I think the police said that they went to his house numerous of times and they didn't find nothing that was strange. This man is a sex offender I thought the police are supposed to keep people like that in check.

Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,

Banned

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by xXD3THKLOKXx View Post
    Dammit, why's every1 fuckin dying recently. I loved that show The beast, we really need to find some cures for Cancer of all sorts, killed Ted kennedy 3 weeks ago and now patrick. Shouldn't pancreatic cancer have been easier to treat than brain cancer? Sad day indeed.
    A bridge towards peace; the will of fire still endures!

Rokudaime Hokage, Rokudaime Rikudou Sennin Uzumaki Naruto