Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 373
  1. #1
    former mod
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,074

    What moves the world, latest news!

    I'm really sick and tired of all the individual threads about celebraties deaths, about random stuff that's currently on the news in the US, about somewhat special events that only a few users here might care about...
    On the other hand, it's sometimes quite interesting to read about this stuff, so, let's collect it in this thread.

    Please post about things that are big on the news in your country, stuff that moves the people and communities, big events of any sorts. Put some sort of headline in your post, summarize the event and add a link to an actual article, please follow this simple guideline.

    Some dutch person might want to start with Laura Dekker? I'm pretty certain no one outside of the Netherlands (and surprisingly Germany) really knows about this case.

  2. #2
    God's Glory is Awesome Akira_yu42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    213

    Swine flu / H1N1 Virus / Pandemic

    Lol, uh okay. SWINE FLU. How's that for a start?

    http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_08_21/en/index.html

    "Pandemic" guys. But I don't see it much in the news plus it sounds like 99% chance of getting it. I want to know who actually cares about this and any thoughts about getting a vaccine soon. I mean we could all just die, for all I know. I don't think our vaccine thing will be here for a little while too. -.-'""""" --// Don't get me wrong I WANT a vaccine.

    Hosea 6:6"I want mercy and not sacrifice. I want you to recognize me as God instead of bringing me burnt offerings." Revelation 22:13"I am the Alpha and the Omega. I am the First and the Last. I am the Beginning and the End."

  3. #3
    Senior Member kuroihikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,622
    Swine flu is past news. Conspiracy theorists are going to claim that its the pharmaceutical companies who created the disease so they can create vaccines, but I call BS on that.

    Basically it's a stronger type of flu, and very easily cured as long as you get to the doctor as soon as you get flu type symptoms. Swine Flu has a mortality rate of less than 1%. There are other more worrisome diseases to worry about like dengue, with mortality rates in 5%, and also not that rare.

  4. #4
    [̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅] guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    in your hearts
    Posts
    2,658
    first mad cow, then bird flu, and now swine flu. whats next, fish flu?

    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

  5. #5
    Senior Member paulbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota USA
    Posts
    6,867
    Special thanks to GM Zidane for creating this long needed section


    Missing Girl (woman) found, 18 years later. - 08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
    http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-ki...,2704352.story

    Eighteen years after she was abducted, the young girl (now 29yrs) has been found. What a MAD MAD world.

    At least she wasn't killed. Why is this remarkable? How many abductees turn out alive after this amount of time?

    I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

  6. #6
    Beer and Music
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    4,180
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    Special thanks to GM Zidane for creating this long needed section


    Missing Girl (woman) found, 18 years later. - 08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
    http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-ki...,2704352.story

    Eighteen years after she was abducted, the young girl (now 29yrs) has been found. What a MAD MAD world.

    At least she wasn't killed. Why is this remarkable? How many abductees turn out alive after this amount of time?
    read this on yahoo, its pretty crazy and quite shocking to me how she can still be alive, im guessing that the kidnappers were actually good people

  7. #7
    Senior Member paulbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota USA
    Posts
    6,867
    Quote Originally Posted by [JUiCE] View Post
    read this on yahoo, its pretty crazy and quite shocking to me how she can still be alive, im guessing that the kidnappers were actually good people
    Looks like the kidnapper was is a known sex offender, and he had two other children with him who it seems he had with the woman he'd kidnapped, if I got it right.

    http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08....missing.girl/

    I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

  8. #8
    former mod
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    Looks like the kidnapper was is a known sex offender, and he had two other children with him who it seems he had with the woman he'd kidnapped, if I got it right.

    http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08....missing.girl/
    Were the german/austrian cases on the news in the US? Of kidnapped girls who were kept as sex slaves, for decades and more. A very disgusting case in austria where the father kept his daughter as a sex slave, had kids with her (some died, others NEVER saw the sunlight). It was just last year, the process was this year... Joseph Fritzl. In case you want to read more about it: link

  9. #9
    Beer and Music
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    4,180
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    Looks like the kidnapper was is a known sex offender, and he had two other children with him who it seems he had with the woman he'd kidnapped, if I got it right.

    http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08....missing.girl/
    yeah, after posting what i put, i watched the news and they talked about it..craaazy stuff man..

  10. #10
    Global Moderator Jaiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,836
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    Special thanks to GM Zidane for creating this long needed section


    Missing Girl (woman) found, 18 years later. - 08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
    http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-ki...,2704352.story

    Eighteen years after she was abducted, the young girl (now 29yrs) has been found. What a MAD MAD world.

    At least she wasn't killed. Why is this remarkable? How many abductees turn out alive after this amount of time?
    I was disgusted when I heard that story man! That's why I say they should chemically castrate all those sex offenders who go after little kids. But your right paul thank God she didn't die, I hate hearing stories about little kids who go missing and someone finds them dead somewhere and it turns out some sex offender did it.

    But check this out, it might get even worse for the guy turns out that the police is searching his house for evidence that he may have killed several prostitutes. Kidnapper eyed for murder links

    Quote Originally Posted by zidane21ps View Post
    Were the german/austrian cases on the news in the US? Of kidnapped girls who were kept as sex slaves, for decades and more. A very disgusting case in austria where the father kept his daughter as a sex slave, had kids with her (some died, others NEVER saw the sunlight). It was just last year, the process was this year... Joseph Fritzl. In case you want to read more about it: link
    Yeah that story was in the US! Because I remembered that he would tell people that his daughter would drop of the baby he she had at his front door and leave. When actually he had her in the basement somewhere. Some people are so sick.

    Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •