Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
    Im really eager to improve but I dont understand exactly what you mean by "washing the midtones". Im not at all hurt or anything like that, Im just .. you know ... not that used to the higher terminology of photoshop. So please, if you dont mind, explain Rav ?
    About the highlights, well that I surely do understand. It has become some sort of habbit, guess a bad one. When I got the sig 95% done, I make a Gaussian Blur and set the blending on screen with some 30-50% opacity which causes the highlights to get burned - according to the blending mode I choose. Well, its not like I use this habbit in every of my sigs though . I see I should cut this crap out of my sig making, unleast it doesnt look well.
    What I mean is that you seem to be overly lightening the midtones.
    Combined with burning the highlights it leaves the colours without much vibrancy because everything becomes more or less the same shade, and in turn makes the sig feel 'washed out' i.e. lacking any vivid colour or contrast.

Obviously I'm not saying that every sig has to be bright and full of colours, it's just that if you don't have some highlights and contrast then nothing will really stand out.

Screen is a bit unusual, going with low(ish) opacity Blur + Color Burn if the sig is too light or Blur + Soft Light/Hard Light if it's too dark are generally good options (Although, the blur is optional). The problem with Screen is that it brightens all the shades, whereas Overlay/Soft Light/Hard Light are more selective.

Other than that the composition on those recent sigs is pretty good, there's not much visible clutter and the flow is nice and clear. =)
    Last edited by Ravona; 06-21-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    "Damn it, you can't euthanize people with minty fresh breath!"

Since theres gonna be a voting for Best GFX and VA creator, I think that being a nominee means I should present something for the voters. Well, recent stuff, here goes :

Spoiler!

Plus, I also want to know what you think about my coloring

Spoiler!

Rate, comment, anything - will be just glad

I would really appreciate someone to change the name of the thread to "Maximo - GFX DISPLAY" thx a million
    Started on the propaganda already huh? Well you got some nice ones especially the Ryu sig am digging that one. I love the Naruto coloring you did, excellent job.

Oh sorry dude, forgot to look into that. Either way I remember that the third sig with the chick in flames was a huge experiment on my side. Making tut out of all of those layers would be .. well, very time-eating . I hope you understand.
    No prob. I forgot I even asked you about you that.

Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,

Slovakia, not Slovenia - LEARN THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravona View Post
    What I mean is that you seem to be overly lightening the midtones.
    Combined with burning the highlights it leaves the colours without much vibrancy because everything becomes more or less the same shade, and in turn makes the sig feel 'washed out' i.e. lacking any vivid colour or contrast.
    I see, I need to fix this from now on. It also seems that my gradients are more or less responsible as well.

Obviously I'm not saying that every sig has to be bright and full of colours, it's just that if you don't have some highlights and contrast then nothing will really stand out.
    You are right, looks like relying on the blur and sharpen tools isnt gonna cut it.

Screen is a bit unusual, going with low(ish) opacity Blur + Color Burn if the sig is too light or Blur + Soft Light/Hard Light if it's too dark are generally good options (Although, the blur is optional). The problem with Screen is that it brightens all the shades, whereas Overlay/Soft Light/Hard Light are more selective.
    Thx for the advice, I will see what it does to my sigs. Either way, the blur & screen is out of my repertoire.

Other than that the composition on those recent sigs is pretty good, there's not much visible clutter and the flow is nice and clear. =)
    Thx again :3 , speaking of composition, Rav, how are you making yours ? I mean, I mostly rely on C4Ds and brushes but I never create the flow as good as you. It looks like you make most of your flow with pen tool. Is that true ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    Started on the propaganda already huh? Well you got some nice ones especially the Ryu sig am digging that one. I love the Naruto coloring you did, excellent job.
    Yeah, figured I should start as soon as possible so that I can improve faster. Im still looking to find my own unique style so thats my goal right now. You already have a sense of your style, I need to find some of my own.

Recently I have also got into coloring and the one I presented was my 3rd so far so thx for the compliment . If only I could draw myself, maybe later in the future.
    FAVOURITE MANGAS
    Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Claymore, Ao No Exorcist, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Gamaran, Toriko, Vinland Saga, Gantz, Wolf Guy, Deadman Wonderland, Vagabond, Blade of The Immortal, Battle Royale, Zettman

Beer and Music
    Really cool Maximo I believe you have already found your style. Out of all the sig makers that I've seen around the internet, yours have to the some of the darkest signatures that I've seen, and i like that, real cool.

Yeah, figured I should start as soon as possible so that I can improve faster. Im still looking to find my own unique style so thats my goal right now. You already have a sense of your style, I need to find some of my own.

Recently I have also got into coloring and the one I presented was my 3rd so far so thx for the compliment . If only I could draw myself, maybe later in the future.
    Yeah but I've been told recently that I should change up my style a little and that's was what I was going for when I did the Kenpachi sig that am using right now. I also did a Killerbee sig right before that one that showed a another type a style. So for right now am just experimenting with different styles with that w ould work for me.

Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,

Latest update on my work

Signatures

FAVOURITE MANGAS
    Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Claymore, Ao No Exorcist, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Gamaran, Toriko, Vinland Saga, Gantz, Wolf Guy, Deadman Wonderland, Vagabond, Blade of The Immortal, Battle Royale, Zettman

^ Haven't lost your touch I see.

I had to rehash my entire Photobucket Album so lot of my sigs are missing in this thread. Figured I could "replenish" my GFX thread for "old-time" sakes. I guess these would be my best works ..

Spoiler!

.. and who knows I might start pilling up more .. either way I was wondering how is the local sig-making community around here doing ? Jaiden, Rav, Kyo, anybody ?
    FAVOURITE MANGAS

This section hasn't seen much life since... a long long time ago.

either way I was wondering how is the local sig-making community around here doing ? Jaiden, Rav, Kyo, anybody ?
    I haven't made a sig in so long. Am thinking about starting up again probably in April sometime.