19 41.30%
  • No, I hate it.

6 13.04%
  • What's J-Rock and J-Pop?

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar

J/Rock and J/Pop: You Into It?

This may be a dumb question to ask on a manga/anime forum but I've gotten some surprising answers in regards to this question.

So yes, we all like Japanese animation. That's a given. But how do you feel about music from Japan? When the opening song of that anime you're watching is playing do you crank it up and sing along with the kareoke, or do you turn it down and pray for it to end? Do you look up a band after hearing an OP or do you not even bother?

I for one, love J-Rock and J-Pop. It makes up most of my music library. I just feel good listening to it. Lyrics are no problem as I can just look up translations. The language barrier isn't even a problem since I believe that music transcends language and language shouldn't be a factor on whether or not a song is good.

Bands and artists I listen to frequently are UVERworld, FLOW, Abingdon Boys School, KOTOKO, Kenji Ootsuki & the Zetsubou Shoujotachi, Shouko Nakagawa and, of course, the Sakurakou Keionbu.

So what's your stance on J-Rock and J-Pop. Do you like it or not? Why? If you do like it what are some of your favorite artists?

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

Beer and Music
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisato-kun View Post
    This may be a dumb question to ask on a manga/anime forum but I've gotten some surprising answers in regards to this question.

So yes, we all like Japanese animation. That's a given. But how do you feel about music from Japan? When the opening song of that anime you're watching is playing do you crank it up and sing along with the kareoke, or do you turn it down and pray for it to end? Do you look up a band after hearing an OP or do you not even bother?

I for one, love J-Rock and J-Pop. It makes up most of my music library. I just feel good listening to it. Lyrics are no problem as I can just look up translations. The language barrier isn't even a problem since I believe that music transcends language and language shouldn't be a factor on whether or not a song is good.

Bands and artists I listen to frequently are UVERworld, FLOW, Abingdon Boys School, KOTOKO, Kenji Ootsuki & the Zetsubou Shoujotachi, Shouko Nakagawa and, of course, the Sakurakou Keionbu.

So what's your stance on J-Rock and J-Pop. Do you like it or not? Why? If you do like it what are some of your favorite artists?
    nope, i dont like it. i might be one of the few if not the only member on here that doesnt like j-rock and j-pop.
    back then i was like, man this music is crap! but ever since i started playing The World Ends With You..its okay music, i dont mind listening to some of that music, but its not something i would listen to. why? its annoying as hell and embarrassing to listen to. it fits with anime and such cause its kind of a tradition to have a Japanese song as its OP. what i do is just fast forward so i dont have to listen to that annoying music. There are a rare few songs that were actually cool, i have to admit that, like the two opening songs for Kingdom Hearts and its sequel Kingdom Hearts II. another reason i dislike, well..detest, japanese music is cause i cant stand music that u cant understand,(language wise) and some ask, well u listen to death metal and black metal, well i can actually understand that cause its still english. another thing i have to admit is that j-rock has some guitarist that are like...wow.

so..will i someday give those genre's a chance? not a chance in hell...untill USA, Norway and all these other amazing places stop bringing out amazing talent..prolly not even then, i can always listen to the old tunes

go ahead and discuss to me about the different genres and ur point of view as to why u think its good music, but please do not argue/flame me about me disliking jrock n jpop, because you will not win

( that band uverworld has some pretty ok songs, for its genre, and other songs are like those from TWEWY, catchy stuff, and a couple of OP's from naruto and other stuff, its ok..but thats it really

Yar I love it, mostly because I just love hearing japanese, it's lovely sounding language to me.

Favorite band would be IkimonoGakari, they're an Indie band with a tiny bit of bob dylan influence and the lead singer has a beautiful voice :3

Natsuzora Graffiti is one of their best songs imo, Link Here

I also love Kalafina and Hitomi Takahashi

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangaz View Post
    Yar I love it, mostly because I just love hearing japanese, it's lovely sounding language to me.

Favorite band would be IkimonoGakari, they're an Indie band with a tiny bit of bob dylan influence and the lead singer has a beautiful voice :3

Natsuzora Graffiti is one of their best songs imo, Link Here

I also love Kalafina and Hitomi Takahashi
    Damn you, Sangaz. I suppose it could be considered a benefit having a friend with good taste in everything but you'll be the end of both me and my Zune! Downloading now.....

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

Lol, well there are some songs I like, but my life doesn't overly revolve around it

Shameless self-promoting [DEVIANTART PAGE]

I like all kinds of rock and that includes J-rock, however I don't really know that many j-bands, same goes for j-pop.

''Brother running with a torch and not a damn thing you can do about it!''

King of The Bleachtards BWORMKING's Avatar
    ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION - AFTER DARK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ko0zp2aFew

the BEST opening song for bleach!
    (

I am the KING of the bleachtards *period*
    no one can tell me otherwise
    anyone can challenge me
    thats just one more NOOB i'd be glad to PWN

THE OFFICIAL BIGGEST BLEACHTARD OF 2008-2009

I love JPop. I'd like to say I love JRock, too, but I don't particularly much like the non-mainstream JRock.

I used to be a Momusu fan way back then (Yes, I'm done crying in shame out in the corner). Right now though, my favorite artists are more "serious" pop ones like Ayaka Iida (wonderful strong voice, unlike most Japanese artists who sing out of their noses). I also liked Yui's albums.

On the JRock side, Gackt is always wonderful, even though I didn't particularly like Malice Mizer. L'Arc n'Ciel is always great.

I've said this before, but the thing I like most about Japanese music is that their lyrics paint an imagery of nature. When you listen to songs about freedom you hear words that make you feel like flying in the sky. When you listen to songs about loneliness and lovesick-ness you hear words about the crescent moon or getting spun around by the waves in the ocean. When you listen to songs about goodbye you hear words about the sunset. Wonderful nature imagery.

I agree with [JUiCE]. Mostly. The only thing I don't agree with him is the Kingdom Hearts thing. I don't like the game. Other than that I have the exact same stance of Japanese music as [JUiCE].

I Love You!
    Spoiler!

I don't care where the music comes from. . . as long as it makes my ears happy, I'm happy. My inability to comprehend the lyrical content doesn't bother me, as I think of lyrics as an unnecessary luxury. . .

I wouldn't listen to a song that sounds terrible regardless of the lyrical quality because imo, lyrics are meant to have meaning behind the musical quality of the singer's voice while the music is meant to be heard in a harmonic fashion. . . If you speak English and hear English lyrics, then you go beyond simply hearing the word and onto deciphering it's meaning.

With a foreign song you can't help but only hear the musical quality of what they say, rather than also understanding because you can't understand anything. If you are curious of the meaning behind the lyrics of a foreign song then you'd look them up, but you'd notice if you apply the translated lyrics to the same song the lyrics lose their musical quality and become dissonant and you're only left with the meaning of the words. . . which is really just poetry rather than music.

With that said, I like Bennie K, Seamo, T.M. Revolution, LM.C, Aqua Timez, Ikimono Gakari, Namie Amuro. . . I don't listen to Japanese radio stations or any radio at all. What I like is stuff I heard in anime or stumbled upon from curiosity. This stuff doesn't take up the majority of my library. . . it' s very assorted. The majority is probably by Japanese artists, but as I said I don't care about lyrical content so it consists mostly of osts. . .

With the opening sequence of an anime, I'll usually listen for a little while, but if I don't like it I'll skip it indefinitely. If I do like it I'll usually skip it anyways since I just want to watch the anime. I wouldn't say I love it. . . or any particular genre. They all have they're ups and downs.