Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Senior Member paulbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota USA
    Posts
    6,934

    Mankind...Have we evolved beyond dependence on Nature?

    The title of this thread could be a little bit misleading. I am not staking a claim that we are no longer part of the Natural world, We certainly are. However, compared with all other species on the planet we have not subsisted on what nature can provide alone in eons.

    For example, mankind today can only exist by using technology to artificially enhance the natural environment. The food we eat is farmed, not gathered, we are even at the point of genetically enhancing plants and animals in order to provide for our own needs. There are many other such examples. We make medicines today that are artificially synthesized such that our lifespans have been extended through this modern science and medicine. We live in homes built with manufactured components and we have modified the entire planet to benefit us. We have highways, airplanes, ships, machines, computers

    The question I'd like to pose then is this, Has humanity grown/evolved beyond nature past the point of no return or at least heading in that direction, and should we or can we even turn back to living within the bounds of what nature can provide. IS the direction we are going our inevitable future and we should embrace it, or have we gone too far and will doom ourselves and take the earth down with us? Is it even possible for mankind to pull back from ever increasing dependence on technology.

    I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

  2. #2
    A muddy color. Soniic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In A Tummy.
    Posts
    842
    Well If The Question Is Can Humans Live Without Technology Of Course The Only Harm It Will Cause Is Shorting The Average Human Lifespan.

  3. #3
    Beer and Music
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    4,195
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    The title of this thread could be a little bit misleading. I am not staking a claim that we are no longer part of the Natural world, We certainly are. However, compared with all other species on the planet we have not subsisted on what nature can provide alone in eons.

    For example, mankind today can only exist by using technology to artificially enhance the natural environment. The food we eat is farmed, not gathered, we are even at the point of genetically enhancing plants and animals in order to provide for our own needs. There are many other such examples. We make medicines today that are artificially synthesized such that our lifespans have been extended through this modern science and medicine. We live in homes built with manufactured components and we have modified the entire planet to benefit us. We have highways, airplanes, ships, machines, computers

    The question I'd like to pose then is this, Has humanity grown/evolved beyond nature past the point of no return or at least heading in that direction, and should we or can we even turn back to living within the bounds of what nature can provide. IS the direction we are going our inevitable future and we should embrace it, or have we gone too far and will doom ourselves and take the earth down with us? Is it even possible for mankind to pull back from ever increasing dependence on technology.
    i believe we've gone too far
    then again its true, "judgment clock was built by mankind"

  4. #4
    The KiNG. ByaKuya_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,750
    Definately man .... i do believe so that human race has evolved to quite a point where we don't even need to depend on nature. It's all part of this Generation evolution stuff. For instance some people cannot live without going on a computer or using a cell phone , they literally get bored to death or something. Meanwhile others make ends meet by fishing for their food or surviving in the wilderness.

    Sig By Damon Max

  5. #5
    H+ xioaxioa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Location Moved
    Posts
    2,717
    I'm pretty sure we still need nature. I mean we need tree's to breath right?

    I Love You!
    Spoiler!

  6. #6
    Lost in fathomed infinity Freakshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    The question I'd like to pose then is this, Has humanity grown/evolved beyond nature past the point of no return or at least heading in that direction, and should we or can we even turn back to living within the bounds of what nature can provide. IS the direction we are going our inevitable future and we should embrace it, or have we gone too far and will doom ourselves and take the earth down with us? Is it even possible for mankind to pull back from ever increasing dependence on technology.
    Hello Paul ^^

    Well, you are raising interesting questions. Mankind's have definitely distanced themselves from nature. To be identified as a human being is to be distant (in mind) from nature. We are constantly aiming for more, ever-improving society. Because there is no end or goal in sight, only principles and basic tenants. That open-endedness means that humans aspirations will shape it, including their vision of their desired, i.e. Utopian world. There is both greatness and destruction in this; We are born with the spirit of betterment, we are also destroying, because that's what the search for Utopia is; The generous breach of yin and yang!

    I think we should strive to improve and further develop, if that means embracing technology then so be it! However, losing our connection to Nature would mean the end of our kind.

  7. #7
    Senior Member paulbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota USA
    Posts
    6,934
    Thnks for the replies so far.

    @Soniic, Technology has alraedy increased our life spans, more children being born are surviving to old age. More and more people are living well past the 80 year mark.

    @Juice, We had no choice but to go as far as we can, I am not sure we can go back without killing people by the millions. More Tech may be our only option for the future.

    @Byakuya, Agreed.

    @xioaxioa, Agreed we still need nature, but is it possible that we are going to replace the need for nature with technology.

    @FS, Agreed. Ever since Homo Sapiens evolved Large Brains, we set out on a path of inevitability. We humans have no fur, we have weak muscles, as mammals we need to eat and drink regularly. Without tech our hopes for survival aren't too good. The question is whether we can reach a sufficiently high level of tech to ween us of from nature as our populations increase, and we demand better living conditions. Do we have the wisdom to do this before annihilating ourselves, or unnecessarily damage the Natural world.

    I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

  8. #8
    Lost in fathomed infinity Freakshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    @FS, Agreed. Ever since Homo Sapiens evolved Large Brains, we set out on a path of inevitability. We humans have no fur, we have weak muscles, as mammals we need to eat and drink regularly. Without tech our hopes for survival aren't too good. The question is whether we can reach a sufficiently high level of tech to ween us of from nature as our populations increase, and we demand better living conditions. Do we have the wisdom to do this before annihilating ourselves, or unnecessarily damage the Natural world.
    Hehe, this reminded me of stem cell researches... There is this talk about assuring immortality for our species, and succeeding with it. We already have ideas that are slowly forming to reality. Necessary damages to nature will be continued to be made, It might be a tad terrifying for some as our humanity would denature, but as you've mentioned, without sacrificing that, our chance of survival would be vanishingly small.

    Basically, without vice and corruption taking over the world, If we can learn from mistakes rather than being imprisoned by them, we can reduce the damages being done to nature in the future, while our species transform for the better.

    Our current state looks awful (From my point of view) The majority of our kind are primitive men with civilized knowledge fighting for control. Which makes me doubt all this.. ;__;

  9. #9
    Previously NarutoSageMode Sh_tHappenz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    714
    Off topic: Wow I'm subscribing this thread. You should add some pictures to Clarify your theory.

    On topic: I think your right It will shorten our lifespan but theres no way we can go back to such a stage Its to late: THE SEGWAY


    I was Previously that noob you use to pick on called NarutosageMode

  10. #10
    Senior Member paulbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota USA
    Posts
    6,934
    Quote Originally Posted by NarutoSageMode View Post
    Off topic: Wow I'm subscribing this thread. You should add some pictures to Clarify your theory.

    On topic: I think your right It will shorten our lifespan but theres no way we can go back to such a stage Its to late:]
    I didn't say too much or add pictures etc because I wanted your views. In any case, before this modern era the lifespan of an adult male was about 40 yrs on the average. Now with modern medicine and nutrition more and more people are living into their 80's, 90's, and even 100's.

    Imagine life before Antibiotic, or heart surgery, or radiation treatment for cancer, or immunization shots. Imagine how women died in labor, imagine how polio and measles destroyed millions.

    What I am saying is that rather than shortening or lives, technology has increased our life spans and general health.

    @FS, I am not sure about immortality, that will require some powerful breakthrough discoveries. I am sure that we MUST overcome the energy problem, and find some sane way of overcomming the social problems that plague us such as corruption and despotism.

    I any case, we don't all need to arrive together, it is most important that a group of humans lead the way and the others can follow later
    Last edited by paulbee; 07-26-2009 at 06:46 AM.

    I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •