View Poll Results: Samurai are special because?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Samurai can use chakra and do anything ninja can do maybe better!

12 10.43%
  • Samurai dont use chakra but have thier own special powers almost equall to ninja

63 54.78%
  • Samurai = Cannon fodder and thier only special ability is to die by the dozens

40 34.78%
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Samurai vs Ninja

Well let me start off by saying the title is a bit misleading as this is not about who you think is stronger or would win in a showdown but rather how Samurai compare to Shinobi in the world of Naruto.

Since this created a bit of intrest on the prediction thread I thought perhaps it might be worth discussing in its own thread. We know very little about the Samurai in the Naruto world however the latest chapter revealed to us Iorn country that secures all its military protection from Samurai rather than Shinobi.

Spoiler!

So the question at hand is how do you see Samurai abilties compared to that of Shinobi? Do they use chakra and have any special powers ?

Here is mine :

The backstory that Nagato tell us that the Six paths Sage was a monk who was the first to unravel the workings of chakra and created a religon known as Nin-shuu which eventually became Ninjitsu the foundation of shinobi arts.

Spoiler!

We know chakra manipulation is the core of Shinobi arts which traditionally is always different from Samurai.

- However here is a brief small clip of a larger interview with Kishi on the matter.

SJ: Samurai are of almost equal fame to ninja, and in pop culture, in some ways, they seem like the opposite of ninja -- forthright instead of sneaky. Are there any powerful samurai in the world of Naruto, or are ninja the overwhelmingly dominate power in this world?

MK: I do have a few samurai characters: Zouri and Waraji (although they're kind of "lame" samurai). But there are way too many samurai manga out there, so to stay original I'll continue the ninja stories.

Seems as tho he was trying to avoid creating the whole Samurai super powers vs Ninja arts and keep it primarly a world of shinobi dominated warfare mostly.

- Here is another clip form a different interview on his view on balancing characters and teams.

> As a sensei, do you think an RPG-style team is good?

K: Yes. There's magic-users, fighters, and so on, and everyone can put their roles together and everyone works for the team. I find that interesting. That is how characters rise.
    I was also looking at things between Samurai and Shinobi from an RPG point of view in that Shinobi are like Mage class that can use Mp's with some melee skill and Samurai are pure melee class with no Mp skills.

So in the end I have to say Samurai do not use chakra as if they did they would be called ninja not samurai as we already have ninja who use swords like Killerbee's students and the Seven swordsman of the Mist. We have seen some Samurai before like the ones in the first Naruto movie in Snow country altho its not cannon they had no special skills.

I think they may have different styles of swordsmanship just as ninja have different styles of jutsu depending on region. The ones in Iorn country for example may be unique and have a suped up fighting style using thier many blades and acrobatics tho thier heavy armor may limit this somewhat. Or perhaps they use special wepaons and mechanized tools that give them a somewhat equal edge against ninja arts.

In truth my bet would be a Chunnin is = 20 Samurai and a Jounin = 100 or so more or less. It just that there are probably more Samurai than Shinobi so they always have the number advantage.

Well anyways thats just my idea so tell me yours, please discuss!

Fire type

What chakra type are you?
    http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/4038...lement-are-you

Well in my opinion the Iron country using samurai for protection would be pointless if they couldn't take on ninja. I'm thinking that they use chakra, just not handseals, or full on jutsu's. Maybe they use chakra more like Rock Lee or Sakuras punches. They use their chakra to make them faster and stronger. Even still though whats the point of being segregated and having these Samurai as guards if a single ninja like Oro could bust in and kill them all. Seriously you might as well post infants and scarecrows to guard your land. So I'm assuming these Samurai have something up there sleeves. At least the powerful ones.

Sig and Ava by Imotochan

Quote Originally Posted by blueiris385 View Post
    Well in my opinion the Iron country using samurai for protection would be pointless if they couldn't take on ninja. I'm thinking that they use chakra, just not handseals, or full on jutsu's. Maybe they use chakra more like Rock Lee or Sakuras punches. They use their chakra to make them faster and stronger. Even still though whats the point of being segregated and having these Samurai as guards if a single ninja like Oro could bust in and kill them all. Seriously you might as well post infants and scarecrows to guard your land. So I'm assuming these Samurai have something up there sleeves. At least the powerful ones.
    Guess the same actually. I bet they're not used to Genjutsu or Ninjutsu, but they'll be pretty good at taijutsu + chakra manipulation. As we've seen they have 4 swords, killerbee got about 8 I guess and he was a tough opponent for team taka only by using his sword skills + manipulation.

I agree that Samurai would be pointless if they couldn't counter a shinobi's skills. But I'm starting to think that they don't use chakra, but derive their power from another source. If they do use chakra, it better be in a completely different way from shinobi... Although, I can't imagine what that way would be.

Maybe their abilities are weapon based, and they have some sort of chakra disrupting weapons and armor to counter ninjutsu and genjutsu... Or maybe instead of "chakra" they use "chi" or "reiatsu" something...

Is quisnam nihilum vincet atticus's Avatar
    well on the page before the one you referenced the old kage mentions that ninja don't touch the land of iron.

Spoiler!

my guess would have to be that it's because the samurai are either equally strong or stronger than ninja.

The backstory that Nagato tell us that the Six paths Sage was a monk who was the first to unravel the workings of chakra and created a religon known as Nin-shuu which eventually became Ninjitsu the foundation of shinobi arts.
    the six paths sage "unraveled the mysteries of chakra" but that doesn't mean that there is only one way to manipulate chakra, so samurai might manipulate chakra in some other way. of course, they might not and just be badass in some other way. either way, i think that all beings in narutoverse use chakra since its one of the life forces in narutoverse, its just a matter of to what extent they can use it.
    I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.

You all still have Zoidberg!

Quote Originally Posted by atticus View Post
    well on the page before the one you referenced the old kage mentions that ninja don't touch the land of iron.

Spoiler!

my guess would have to be that it's because the samurai are either equally strong or stronger than ninja.
    I don't think that's necessarily true. I think that since this country is neutral and the ninja nations use it as a meeting place, the ninja nations might have a understanding between eachother that attacking the Land of Iron is like declaring war on the rest of the ninja world. So it might not be the Land of Iron that the ninjas fear, but what the rest of the ninja world would do if they attacked the Land of Iron.

Then why do the Land of Iron have Samurai at all? I dunno... Prestige?

I voted they don't use chakra, but have their own special abilities. At least that's what I'm thinking Kishi gave them. We'll find out on Thursday/Friday.
    Signature by me.

i think that they'll hace their own abilities to put them on par with the ninja,
    it was be legen... dary

made by [DFX]
    Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    you got me what I always wanted \o/
    you're now my favorite person.
    jaeger makes the internet go round

I cant see them using chakra as then they will be the same as shinobi, but having a very unique set of powers of which shinobi's find it hard to beat.
    ~Hatake kakashi, The leagendary copy ninja

I think they have the basic knowledge, skill, and control to use chakra...like standing on water, climbing up trees (the simple stuff). However, I don't think they can manipulate chakra. (great example would be like Lee in terms of what i stated). So i do agree they have their own special abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetta View Post
    People should use some common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetta View Post
    Thats my point. and regarding common sense, people who don't use it are practically idiots.