Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    About culture... It's true to a certain extent, but living in one of the more ethnically diverse regions in the world, it's refreshing to see half-Caucasian people doing our native customs.

Whoever you have a relationship with isn't a problem culture-wise, as long as you both learn how to pass your culture with onto your kids.

King of The Bleachtards BWORMKING's Avatar
    i believe culture should in no way/shape or form play a role in who you choose to love. if it ever does, in my opinion, it does nothing but strain the relationship, the pressure of both parents pushing thier cultures on thier children can be devastating to both the parents and the children
    (

I am the KING of the bleachtards *period*
    no one can tell me otherwise
    anyone can challenge me
    thats just one more NOOB i'd be glad to PWN

THE OFFICIAL BIGGEST BLEACHTARD OF 2008-2009

As apractical matter culture is unavoidable and it's not just your parents, it's you and the society. There are questions like:

1) How will you raise your kids (traditions, manners, festivals etc)
    2) What foods will they eat
    3) What languages will they speak
    4) What religions if any
    5) How do they identify themselves
    6) Are they going to interract with relatives, if so will they know how
    7) How Americanised should they be...pop culture, slangs, hero worship of stars...

It can get complex, and you'll find that you yourself care more about these things than you thought, espescially if you were brought up in a cultural way. Even if you and your wife ignore these things, your kids may grow up resentfull that you didn't teach them more about their cultural origins.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    As apractical matter culture is unavoidable and it's not just your parents, it's you and the society. There are questions like:

1) How will you raise your kids (traditions, manners, festivals etc)
    2) What foods will they eat
    3) What languages will they speak
    4) What religions if any
    5) How do they identify themselves
    6) Are they going to interract with relatives, if so will they know how
    7) How Americanised should they be...pop culture, slangs, hero worship of stars...

It can get complex, and you'll find that you yourself care more about these things than you thought, espescially if you were brought up in a cultural way. Even if you and your wife ignore these things, your kids may grow up resentfull that you didn't teach them more about their cultural origins.
    Such simple questions.

1) American
    2) American
    3) American
    4) American
    5) American
    6) AMERICAN
    7) American

They have the true right to believe whatever they want, I will not decide that for my children. Unless the mother does it, I will not choose anything for them. They will decide who they are and what they want in life.

I Love You!
    Spoiler!

What I am saying (from experience mind you), is that the couple have to have thought things out ahead of time. If as you say you won't decide for your children, then by default, the TV, and neighboorhood kids will decide for you.

Unfortunately, there is no single American culture. In th inner-city the "Culture" as well as food is not the same as in the suburbs, Latino areas are different from Chinese areas, and Cuban area from Upper-Midwest. My Children don't even speak my language. On top of that I have isues with manners, things like greeting your Parents in the morning, saying good night (my kids think I am strange, their friends don't do these things routinely). I don't care to eat a lot of American foods, or ethnic food for that matter, so we evolved a compromise.

Once again, these are practical issues to consider, and simply answering "American" doesn't do justice to the questions at hand. You may think your kids are believing what they want, but you don't realise that there are very powerful influences in the media and at school, with the ACLU, or Teachers Union having their own agendas for your kids. It is not a level playing field.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Well, I might add that I'm in the Navy, so a lot of travel. I might not even be able to have such a luxury as a family. Even so, I can see your point and will take that into consideration and hope my wife, whomever she may be, is a much better parent than I am and not a cheating bitch. I might very well be to apathetic to be a parent.

Also I should say that I joined the Navy partly to find a wife of a different culture. I'm really turned off by the "American" girl. They are just to loose for me. So again, paulbee, you are right, maybe the American way to raise someone is not the best(even though it really a joke in the first place). Bye everyone, I'm off to China!

I Love You!
    Spoiler!

There is an American culture... I do not want my children growing up ordering pizza for dinner, for example. Or going to a high school were it's not cool for a smart kid to hang out with jocks and where cheerleading is a totally different subculture.

I personally don't give a crap about whether 2 people of a different race get married or not. If you fall in love with someone who is a different race than you nobody has the right to say it's wrong. What I do give a crap about are the ones who kids. The children will most likely go through hell, using being called oreo's and whatnot. If a white male and a black woman have a child, the child generally is too dark to be with the white children but too light to be with the black children. Racism still exists today and people should understand that. Also, when your child comes home asking why he has 2 different colored parents and his friends have parents who are only one color they better have a damn good answer. Once the child grows into a teenager he/she will understands this whole concept but it sucks being a child. (has experienced)

/EndRant

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Chaos View Post
    I personally don't give a crap about whether 2 people of a different race get married or not. If you fall in love with someone who is a different race than you nobody has the right to say it's wrong. What I do give a crap about are the ones who kids. The children will most likely go through hell, using being called oreo's and whatnot. If a white male and a black woman have a child, the child generally is too dark to be with the white children but too light to be with the black children. Racism still exists today and people should understand that. Also, when your child comes home asking why he has 2 different colored parents and his friends have parents who are only one color they better have a damn good answer. Once the child grows into a teenager he/she will understands this whole concept but it sucks being a child. (has experienced)

/EndRant
    So you're basicly saying that it is ok for them to marry but not to have children?
    I think if you love someone you'll eventually would want to have children with her/him.
    Yeah, I know it will be hard for the child, but in our society it will also be hard if you have parents from the same race. There will always be someone who don't like you and they will always find a thing which with they can give you a hard time. If it isn't for the race, they will just say something about your nose or ears instead.
    Ava & Sig created by Max
    v Credits to IIDX v
    Spoiler!

^No, I'm not necessarily saying they shouldn't have children; I'm saying that they should know what they're getting into and the questions they will face as their child is growing up. Children who are mixed races generally get put down more so than kids who are the same race. I'm still made fun of because of being an "oreo" but it doesn't get to me as much as it did when I was a child. Children can't control their emotions at a young age and if not given proper care they will most likely snap some day and do something that will ruin their future. A kid I once knew stabbed somebody because he was tortured because he was mixed (Long story). It's generally harder for children who are mixed to fit in with people, but when they do find people who don't give a shit whether they're black, white, asian, spanish, mixed or an alien, then they start to care less about being criticized.

Tl;dr: It is harder for mixed people to fit in with others in this day and age. (Obama didn't change shit lol)