Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59
  1. #11
    Veteran Member Rift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,334
    Redfuzzy hit the nail right on the head. I think the real problem, with people, lies in the culture of it all.

    I used to date this Mexican girl (I'm Puertorican, Dominican, and Spanish :O). Many of her older family (uncles, grandparents, etc) had a problem with me dating her. And I must say, although we were all under the same boat technically (Hispanic/Latino), the culture was indeed different. And in their eyes, that was a problem.

    Now me? I have no problem with it whatsoever. Dating out of your own race/culture is so invigorating because you open your eyes to something new, and you learn about something more than the little bubble you're living in.

    Currently Reading:
    Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Gantz, Medaka Box, Beelzebub, Soul Eater, Claymore, Ao no Exorcist

  2. #12
    King of The Bleachtards BWORMKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    soul society, New York (buffalo -_-)
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by redstrife View Post
    Redfuzzy hit the nail right on the head. I think the real problem, with people, lies in the culture of it all.

    I used to date this Mexican girl (I'm Puertorican, Dominican, and Spanish :O). Many of her older family (uncles, grandparents, etc) had a problem with me dating her. And I must say, although we were all under the same boat technically (Hispanic/Latino), the culture was indeed different. And in their eyes, that was a problem.

    Now me? I have no problem with it whatsoever. Dating out of your own race/culture is so invigorating because you open your eyes to something new, and you learn about something more than the little bubble you're living in.

    that part is the basis of my thought. for a person to truly understand someone else, what better way then to see the world from thier eyes
    (

    avatar and sig made by kyosuke
    I am the KING of the bleachtards *period*
    no one can tell me otherwise
    anyone can challenge me
    thats just one more NOOB i'd be glad to PWN

    THE OFFICIAL BIGGEST BLEACHTARD OF 2008-2009

  3. #13
    - lilium - • healing rain •'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in wonderland~
    Posts
    878
    On a side-note, interracial babies are beautiful >_> just a personal opinion though I haven't seen enough of them to judge fairly.

    But it really shouldn't be a problem. If you love someone and they love you back...go for it, you know? Plus you get to dip in to your other's culture, learn something new and whatnot.

    I saw this thing, "interracial babies is one of the only ways to stop racism". I guess it's true....though it could make it worse.

    Anyway, yes, mixing of ethnicities is a good thing Don't force someone to date so-and-so, be with the person who's best for you. The person who's best for you may not be your race.
    Ships are safe at harbor
    But that's not why ships are built



    Currently reading:
    Bleach - Fullmetal Alchemist - Psyren

  4. #14
    Senior Member Shinhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Asces Dungeon
    Posts
    1,894
    People should do what they want and mind their own business.

    If someone is dating a person of another race someone else shouldn't confront them because they disagree.

    Also if someone doesn't believe in interracial relationships and they choose not to engage people shouldn't criticize them for their choice and call them narrow minded.

    Sig and Ava by Imotochan

  5. #15
    Mind f*cked beyond repair Stev3child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    4,845
    Mixing of ethnicitiesdoesnt erase a particular culture from existence, infact, it can spread said culture. So really it isnt about preserving it as much it is about not accepting any members that dont meet the strict, trivial, criteria.
    QUOTE(s) OF THE MOMENT

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Death View Post
    I swear if your theories were any dumber I would be retarded...

  6. #16
    J.A.C. Member Redfuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas/New York
    Posts
    2,432
    It is more of a fear of the older generation. If the relationship is strong, then both of the people will understand eachothers' culture and mix that as well. However not all relationships are strong, and many times too with first generation Americans the American culture will prevale. That is the concern, and it definitely isn't unfounded. But, that doesn't mean it will happen for sure.

    I think it lies in each relationship, and person to decide where their priorities are. Are they with your family? Your loved one? Your culture? And how can you balance these priorities.

  7. #17
    Mind f*cked beyond repair Stev3child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    4,845
    I believe that if 2 people dont respect each other cultures/personality/ in a relationship, then those concerns would be considerable. But if a couple embraces each other's cultures, then no culture would face But opposing all mixed-ethnic relationships because you believe it destroys or undermines a particular culture, doesnt really make sense to me. Because its not the intergration that's responsible for it, its a lack of respect and/or a refusal to allow expression and practices of the culture in question.

    But ultimately, it is up to the couple to decide if the matter is important to them, and they have the option to not continue their relationship if they feel their culture is being violated in anyway if culture is that important to them. But its a subjective issue. You cant divide them into groups just based on their cultural/ethnic/racial and other superficial differences. And then put an ethno-centricism agenda over the sovereignty of people who want to be with each other.

    BW was talking about when someone declared his blood was impure, which possibly denotes an inferiority, or an insufficient worth. I just believe some people are way too ethno-centric, which is what I think is the issue. It also contributes to segregation, and superemacist ideas. Well this is just my own experience with people who take offense to mixed relationships.

    Its pretty disheartening when I have to endure my gf's father's rants on how I dont belong to their family becaus soley Im black, and my gf's family is Mexican, and their prejudicial assertions that Im "tainting" their family.. Its a sad case of ethno-centricism that attempts to seperate me and my gf's progression as a couple and hinder the development and maturity of our cultures and relations.
    QUOTE(s) OF THE MOMENT

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Death View Post
    I swear if your theories were any dumber I would be retarded...

  8. #18
    Senior Member paulbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota USA
    Posts
    6,944
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post
    It's also not only about the beauty, but mixing races promotes genetic diversity, and thus makes the human race more survivable in general. Those against it are total ignoramuses.

    In the end, though, you can't force people to mate with people they don't want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfuzzy View Post
    Mixing races is definitely not a bad thing, it's when you throw in the cultural ties that it becomes a problem. And this problem really only shows up most of the time now when people want to marry.

    I personally I have no issue with, for I have several races in me most predominantly Scottish, and could best be described as American. However I think most of the people in the world that do have a problem with it for cultural, rather than ethnic, reasons. They want to preserve their culture, and marrying someone outside of the culture definitely subtracts from it. I can't say much on this issue because I am not in that situation, but for those that are it's not such a black and white situation. Nothing really is.

    It is refreshing to see that you young folks are deeper thinkers (sometimes) than most folks around my age.

    Anyways there will always be haters from all races (black haters, oriental haters, white haters etc). Personally I would like to see all races continue to exist, although the races themselves were formed by geographical isolation in ancient times.

    Mixing of races should continue where true love goes, and the best attributes of both cultures should be retained. Anyone contemplating marriage and kids should also be committed to responsibly raising those kids, and providing a nurturing environment. If they can't do that they should stay away from kids.

    I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

  9. #19
    J.A.C. Member Redfuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas/New York
    Posts
    2,432
    I defiantly understand where you are coming from, steve, I'm just trying to approach the issue from a neutral standpoint. I disagree that culture is a superficial difference. I think it matters a lot, but it shouldn't stand in the way of relationships.

  10. #20
    Veteran Member Light-kun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,375
    I surely know what you are all talking about. I'm one half german and one half russian and I sadly have to say that it isn't easy in life if you have mixed blood in your veins.

    When I was speaking to Germans, they only saw my russian traits. But the Russians were sometimes even worse, they gave me a hard time only because I can't speak perfectly Russian, saying that this is only because of my german blood.

    The second time I experienced something like this, was when I started to go out with my swede girlfriend. Her grandfather always had something aginst me, always telling BS like: "Just think about what their children will look like" and "Do you really want to go out with this mongrel". Luckily for me,her parents weren't so simple-minded and approved our relationship.
    Ava & Sig created by Max
    v Credits to IIDX v
    Spoiler!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •