Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Digital art vs.Traditional art

Introduction:

The point of this thread is to discuss tradition art over digital art. So to start the discussion I will just copy and paste some info from Wikipedia (even though I don't thinks its a creditable site but still has good info) to explain the two.

Digital art:--art can be purely computer-generated or taken from other sources, such as a scanned photograph or an image drawn using vector graphics software using a mouse or graphics tablet.

Traditional Art:-- Art that is a part of the culture of a group of people, skills and knowledge of which are passed down through generations from master craftsmen to apprentices.

So there is a brief understanding of the two. So now we will start a party of Digitalist. People who believe digital art is acceptable in the art world just as traditional art is. And we will have a Traditionalist side. People who highly value art done by hands and not done with software and other devices not from original craftsmanship.

So now which side will you choose and why?
    Last edited by Hand Banana; 06-18-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Spelling erros

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    How did I not see this coming? >_<

Both definitely have a place in this world. I really don't think that one picture can be called art and another one can't just based on the tools the artist used.

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

Beer and Music
    Question, can my n arisato-kun's posts be transferred here? I'm actually having fun about our beliefs and discussing what we stand for

Ok. So continue where we left off.

Quote Originally Posted by [JUiCE] View Post
    And uhh, hate to sound like an ass, but shouldn't Hand Banana's (the greatest man in the world) entry be taken off the new DotM, it was done with photoshop, I thought it was DRAWING OF THE MONTH, u know.traditional art
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisato-kun View Post
    Using a tablet is pretty much the same as drawing with pencil and paper. If he (and by he I mean the greatest man in the world) did use PS then odds are he put the lines down with pencil first and then went over them. Pencil lines don't transition well via a scanner so I could see his reason for doing so. I think the entry should be left up.
    It may be like drawing with pencil n paper but still, it should be traditional, idk, I don't see a couple of program tools and clicks as art:/
    Oh I think a computer can be used to make some wonderful art. Just look at our very own sig makers. I see some wonderful things on dA as well done with digital tools. Most anime these days is done with digital tools as well and the visuals are phenominal. Both are just different ways of expression and I think that both people that do digital and traditional work should be acknowledged for the work they put in and be seen as skilled artists.

@Hand Banana (greatest man in the world): I think it's fine just the way it is. But whether or not it stays is ultimately not up to me. :/
    ^ and see, I think the exact opposite, yeah u can make sweet fuckin images with Ps and crap but to me its not art, cause if it was like. That, then ANYONE can called an artist, and that's not cool at all, like recently, any idiot taking pictures claims they are a photographer, that's crap, its like stealing from the actual photographers that worked their asses off, same goes for traditional art and..digital stuff, anyoen can click and do all sorts of things with a drawing program, BUT not anyone can draw, that's a real talent, not learning how to use a program, there's even online tutorials and written tutorials on how to use corel paint and Ps..so imo digital stuff..NOT art
    I can see where you're coming from but I think you're giving the people that really do it too little credit. I've done work on the computer myself and I've seen others do the same. The amount of work they put in is staggering and they really should be credited for the work. As far as tutorials go I've seen a fair share of traditional drawing tutorials as well.

I'm gonna disagree with you and say yes, anyone can be an artist. Just like anyone can be an actor, a soccer player, a programmer, etc. If you put in the hard work and are dedicated then you can basically do whatever you want. It's all about willpower.
    ^ I never said not to give those ppl credit, yeah. They should receive credit, being on a comp working on something sounds like BS, but not as artist
    And hell no, not anyone can be an artist, or a soccer player or an actor, yeah I agree with the part about will power, but will power alone will not help you create a mural, or be one of the best soccer players, or be an outstanding actor, confidence and will power have some what to do when doing something, but skill and TALENT is what counts the most, not anyone be as amazing as michael angelo, not anyone can play like ronaldiƱo, no one can act like denzel washington.
    Ok so here a few ground breakers if you will. Read them and decide.

I support the digitalist party. . . imo, convenience is the foundation of the modern world and digital art is convenient. Traditional and modern are conflicting terms. . .

I compare supporters of the traditionalist party to elderly people struggling to co-exist with technology. . . It's in essence the same thing, only more convenient.

You still need some knowledge on how to draw when using a tablet because you're still drawing a surface with a pen. Things like pressure sensitivity are also there as well. I see no problem with preferring digital over traditional. . .

Digital art is just a newer form of art. It isn't better than traditional and it should never be replaced. That said, I enjoy digital art just as much as traditional. Creating work traditionally establishes a more intimate connection, in my opinion.

I really have no preference over the other, they're both enjoyable.

@Juice ... working on a piece digitally takes MUCH more than some program tools and a few clicks. The computer itself is a tool, and is only as effective as the person using it. Skill and discipline is still needed. Photography is a form of art .... but a photographer uses a tool (camera) to capture an image. Based on what you said, photography's nothing more than the push of a button. More factors, however, go into it. The photographer's eye for the abstract, judging lighting, deciding the focal point, etc. Anyone can use a camera, and anyone can use Photoshop, PaintShop, etc. But in the end, skill in using those tools is required. That is art.

Currently Reading:
    Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Gantz, Medaka Box, Beelzebub, Soul Eater, Claymore, Ao no Exorcist

Originally Posted by [JUiCE]
    ^ I never said not to give those ppl credit, yeah. They should receive credit, being on a comp working on something sounds like BS, but not as artist
    And hell no, not anyone can be an artist, or a soccer player or an actor, yeah I agree with the part about will power, but will power alone will not help you create a mural, or be one of the best soccer players, or be an outstanding actor, confidence and will power have some what to do when doing something, but skill and TALENT is what counts the most, not anyone be as amazing as michael angelo, not anyone can play like ronaldiƱo, no one can act like denzel washington.
    But why would you want to? My point is that if you try hard enough at something you're going to improve and can definitely reach an impressive level. No two people are the same. Not everyone has that magic stat boost we like to call "talent" but I think that's completely irrelevant. Everyone can improve through hard work. But a whole hard work vs. talent debate is getting off topic.

Just because the methods you use are different doesn't mean you are any less an artist than someone else. Let's use an example.

A work done digitally:
    Spoiler!
    Credit: http://heise.deviantart.com/art/Ga-MAN-48836450

A work done traditionally:
    Spoiler!
    Credit: http://toounit.deviantart.com/art/Rainbow-39287657

From the detail in the pictures you can see that a massive amount of work was put into each. I really don't see how anybody could say that both of these stunning pieces could not be considered art.

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

Beer and Music
    Excellent points arisato^^ u have me beat...lol

All I can really say is that it all. Comes down to our beliefs and opinions, and I will always belief that digital stuff is no skill nor art, as beautiful as it may seem, its no match for traditional art. I really. Wish I could keep going with u in this discussion. Cause it was fun^^ but I don't think I can say anything else, I said everything I had to say

TRADITIONALIST FOREVER

Queen of the Boredom Zone Arhazivory's Avatar
    Wow...Arisato, those pieces are stunning.

JUiCE...I just have one thing to say to you: If it was not 'art' and just some 'clicks', everyone would be able to do it. A lot of persons read many tutorials and will never achieve the kind of masterpiece like the pic Arisato posted. Working digitally takes more time and effort than using traditional tools, because as humans we are more comfortable using our hand than a mouse, and to have our brains analyse how to 'click' and produce the image we have in our minds is nothing short of being an artist. Traditional art is art and digital art is art...I believe that our evolution to digital is nothing short of amazing.
    ^Birthday Sig & Ava from Mikessc88 <3 v Birthday Sig from Imotochan <3
    Lords of the Boredom Zone: Arhazivory Redsquirrel and Crossx21

Quote Originally Posted by Arhazivory View Post
    Wow...Arisato, those pieces are stunning.

JUiCE...I just have one thing to say to you: If it was not 'art' and just some 'clicks', everyone would be able to do it. A lot of persons read many tutorials and will never achieve the kind of masterpiece like the pic Arisato posted. Working digitally takes more time and effort than using traditional tools, because as humans we are more comfortable using our hand than a mouse, and to have our brains analyse how to 'click' and produce the image we have in our minds is nothing short of being an artist. Traditional art is art and digital art is art...I believe that our evolution to digital is nothing short of amazing.
    I completely agree. I can barely grasp the concept of using a mouse to draw. Seeing others do it is nothing short of amazing.

And thanks though I suppose you should be thanking the artists. When I wanna back something up I only look for the best to prove my point..

MyAnimeList MyMangaList