Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The God Debate

Hybrid View

Decidedly Undecided

The God Debate

I've been going over this thought constantly for the past month...

HOW can God claim to be Omnipotent AND Benevolent at the same time? I mean, if he's so all-powerful and well-meaning, why is there hunger, war, disease, crime, and corruption in the world? I asked my mother this, and she went into some ranbling rant about how God is all-powerful and well-meaning simplybecause that's how he is, and I as a human am not meant to understand it yet.

Ready, Set, Discuss!
    (Note, this is in reference to the God in Christianity)
    Last edited by Hagane, the Ice Nomad; 06-11-2009 at 07:59 PM.

(sig by Cross)

my deviantart page...:http://hagane90.deviantart.com/
    Note, I have no real drawing talent, so it'll be mostly literature.

Proud Grammar Nazi

There are really a few different explanations for that depending on which religion you're talking to.

There's the "God is testing them." explanation. There's the "God is punishing them." explanation. There's the "God is letting us handle our own destiny." explanation, and so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagane, the Ice Nomad View Post
    I as a human am not meant to understand it yet.
    Actually, that's really a huge part of it. God is supposedly something that surpasses human understanding. Or else he wouldn't be God.

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagane, the Ice Nomad View Post
    I've been going over this thought constantly for the past month...

HOW can God claim to be Omnipotent AND Benevolent at the same time? I mean, if he's so all-powerful and well-meaning, why is there hunger, war, disease, crime, and corruption in the world? I asked my mother this, and she went into some ranbling rant about how God is all-powerful and well-meaning simplybecause that's how he is, and I as a human am not meant to understand it yet.

Ready, Set, Discuss?
    Simple, God's good, people aren't. We have a little thing called free will. That allows bad people to do bad things as well as allow good people to do good things. That takes care of your war, crime and corruption. As for hunger and disease that was non-existent when we had paradise. Humanity had to go and disobey one simple command and that's what screwed us all over. I would have honestly thought not eating apples would be a small price to pay for that whole eternal bliss thing. Meh, what're ya gonna do?

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

Quote Originally Posted by POW View Post

If evidence suggests that the earth is millions of years old , religon ignores it and chooses to say earth is 6000 only because it says so in a book not that there is any evidence to back it up what so ever.
    This could be true, but it's possible that one of God's "days" when he was creating the world could be the equivalent to several human millenium.

Science doesn't disprove God. I'm into both science and religion.

Science = explains how

Religion = explains why

Quote Originally Posted by Arisato-kun View Post
    Simple, God's good, people aren't. We have a little thing called free will. That allows bad people to do bad things as well as allow good people to do good things. That takes care of your war, crime and corruption. As for hunger and disease that was non-existent when we had paradise. Humanity had to go and disobey one simple command and that's what screwed us all over. I would have honestly thought not eating apples would be a small price to pay for that whole eternal bliss thing. Meh, what're ya gonna do?
    agree. What kind of benevolent God would take away our free will? War, famine, etc is all the doing of mankind...

I myself am a Christian but I really think the majority of people have the wrong idea of what a Christian is...from all the hatred towards homosexuals you see..those homophobes are giving the rest of us a very bad name.

Also, that "do wrong you go to hell" is not correct -_-; I mean, if it were that way then Heaven would be very empty of human life indeed. I believe that it's faith that saves you, not deeds. I mean, deeds help, and they are good d(-_-)b but simply being a good person won't save you.

In any case, YES it is true that no human(s) could ever fully understand God simply because he's God and we aren't. We're humans, guys. We haven't even finished understanding our own habitat and psychology, I don't think we can ever understand God's...
    Ships are safe at harbor
    But that's not why ships are built

Currently reading:
    Bleach - Fullmetal Alchemist - Psyren

former mod
    Quote Originally Posted by • healing rain • View Post
    Also, that "do wrong you go to hell" is not correct -_-; I mean, if it were that way then Heaven would be very empty of human life indeed. I believe that it's faith that saves you, not deeds. I mean, deeds help, and they are good d(-_-)b but simply being a good person won't save you.
    See, and that's the major problem I got with you folks. You say this, but the Bible (liek, the only foundation you got for "god's words") says otherwise. Modern christians see themselves confronted with several thousand years old scripture, and especially the old testiament just can't be conciliated with modern society - no need to mention the bloody passages in it... burn witches, stone gays etc... and so they form their own, individual belief, but you just can't deny that your most holy documents states things different. And in MY opinion, you can't just believe in parts of it, but either the whole thing or nothing. Anything else would be quite "hypocrite", to say it with a bible reference

Quote Originally Posted by zidane21ps View Post
    no need to mention the bloody passages in it... burn witches, stone gays etc...
    Hahaha it says that shit in the Bible? Aw snap I gotta read it. Sounds like the best fiction novel eva.

See, and that's the major problem I got with you folks. You say this, but the Bible (liek, the only foundation you got for "god's words") says otherwise. Modern christians see themselves confronted with several thousand years old scripture, and especially the old testiament just can't be conciliated with modern society - no need to mention the bloody passages in it... burn witches, stone gays etc... and so they form their own, individual belief, but you just can't deny that your most holy documents states things different. And in MY opinion, you can't just believe in parts of it, but either the whole thing or nothing. Anything else would be quite "hypocrite", to say it with a bible reference
    You realize that one of the reasons they Killed Jesus was because he didn't conform with the Old Testament? Just in case you are unaware of it, Christianity is not based on the old testament, and there is no burning or stoning in the new testament. The firm break between the Old and New testament was initiated by Jesus himself, so Christians need not worry about hypocrisy in dissociating from the OT.

Zidane you come across as someone with misguided anti-xtian anger issues, yet you obviously don't fully understand what you are criticizing.

EDIT
    :

I was of the impression that this thread was was established to discuss the existence of an "Omnipotent AND Benevolent" God as a philosophical matter, in the light of war, disease, and suffering.

If we wished to discuss Xtianity and it's perceived flaws instead, that's okay, let's establish another thread for that, or find one that already does that. Let's not hijack this thread for that purpose.
    Last edited by paulbee; 06-16-2009 at 01:00 AM.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

former mod
    Edit: cutting this out completely, keep on moving - my mistake for making this a bible debate.
    Last edited by zidane21ps; 06-16-2009 at 12:47 PM.

The Bible is something you have to read in context. That kind of understanding of the Bible have been outdated for 2 centuries now. And that kind of thinking by the early Christians is exactly why Christianity is being criticized right now the way you do right now.

Basically, you're calling others a hypocrite for something that you would do.

Besides, as paulbee said, this thread isn't about the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by • healing rain • View Post
    This could be true, but it's possible that one of God's "days" when he was creating the world could be the equivalent to several human millenium.

Science doesn't disprove God. I'm into both science and religion.

Science = explains how

Religion = explains why
    You know part of the problem here is people expect reality to line up with thier beliefs when it should be the other way around.

If your theory is faulty from the start its like trying to fit a circle in a square. Clinging to old ideals that dont change and expecting all of reality to match up with it is a bit unrealistic to me.

Too me it makes more sense to observe the reality we live in with our current understanding and align your theory on what makes sense in the greater reality.

At least in this way your theory is built on something solid.

Fire type

What chakra type are you?
    http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/4038...lement-are-you