Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The God Debate

I myself just see religion as a mere tool to keep people from doing the "evil" things humans see as evil. Who is there to say that killing is evil? No one. Killing is one of the most common things amongst living beings. However the events that happen after killing like sadness, grief and whatever else hurts people, and that is why humans consider it evil. Things that bring harm are mostly considered evil. I think religion is a moral support/foundation to keep everyone in control from doing these so called "evil" acts which brings harm to others.

I think the original concept of religion was like that, and I respect that because they wanted the best for humanity, however it did bring a lot of shit into this world. But yet, a whole lot of good too.

Personally I really can't figure out how people can believe in some kind of existence as a god. Nobody knows and probably ever will be able to explain how life and the universe came to exist in the first place. But the story of some kind of man that exists as long as everything exists and suddenly creates a planet with life is really really weird. I just can't believe some people buy that stuff.

Well ... my opinion is everything is in this world happens for a reason and everything happens to teach people a lesson. Why do you think everybody wants to get high paying jobs? SO they don't live like bums in the streets or homeless people. Why do you think each country has it's own lifestyle and culture? to be honest i really don't know that ... was just tryna get flashy with this answer. Same can be said for animals though , for example , Tigers/Lions eat Deer/Buffalo, yet buffalo and deer eat some other shit like leafs and plants. overall though Life is kinda like the IRS , it's never a happy ending!

Sig By Damon Max

Mind f*cked beyond repair Stev3child's Avatar
    Why must God do things?

Why must God define us?

Why must God oppress us?

Why must God create?

Why must God be sentinent?

Why must God be percieved?

Why must God be related to humanity?

i dont believe God does, or is any of these things.
    QUOTE(s) OF THE MOMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Death View Post
    I swear if your theories were any dumber I would be retarded...

Quote Originally Posted by gin0va View Post
    I myself just see religion as a mere tool to keep people from doing the "evil" things humans see as evil. Who is there to say that killing is evil? No one. Killing is one of the most common things amongst living beings. However the events that happen after killing like sadness, grief and whatever else hurts people, and that is why humans consider it evil. Things that bring harm are mostly considered evil. I think religion is a moral support/foundation to keep everyone in control from doing these so called "evil" acts which brings harm to others.

Personally I really can't figure out how people can believe in some kind of existence as a god. Nobody knows and probably ever will be able to explain how life and the universe came to exist in the first place. But the story of some kind of man that exists as long as everything exists and suddenly creates a planet with life is really really weird. I just can't believe some people buy that stuff.
    It's ironic that religion is meant to keep people in order and keep us from hurting one another when so much of the violence in this world is driven by religion. That's one aspect of organized religion I take issue with...bringing all these people together and force-feeding them ideas about how they should live just doesn't sit well with me, and then you get these extremists and whatnot but I've known a lot of deeply religious people who say that it's not about perfectly following everything in the Bible and fearing the wrath of God so much as it is about just living a good life. And even if that definition of "good" is just a ploy to get people to behave properly I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, as long as you aren't warped enough into believing that doing these "evil" things in the name of religion is justified.

And I partly agree with your second point, the way people blindly accept religion when there is so much evidence to the contrary is a little disheartening, but then again there are some people who aren't taking it literally and for whom religion has really been a saving grace, and who am I to deny them that? Even if I can't understand it. Although the fundamentalists who reject evolution etc are a different story.

meh, whose to say your god is the god or someone else is, hell I can say that Binky's a god...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Death View Post
    meh, whose to say your god is the god or someone else is, hell I can say that Binky's a god...
    If it looks like a God, sounds like a God...

Banned
    Many christians use the arguement that God has a "masterplan" of some sort that entails him allowing all the activities you would think a "good" god would prevent; conviently enough this "masterplan" would be incomprehensible to humans.

If for one believe that technology and science merely caught religion in a lie. There are just too many inconsistencies for me to possibly entertain the idea of god from a formal religion's standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by xXD3THKLOKXx View Post
    If for one believe that technology and science merely caught religion in a lie. There are just too many inconsistencies for me to possibly entertain the idea of god from a formal religion's standpoint.
    I wouldn't call it a lie, but a spread of ignorance.

I, for one, treat my religion as a philosophy, and as such it has served me well. I reject things that don't make any logical sense, and keep to heart those which do.

It's not like science disproves the existence of a god-like being, anyway. In-fact it does prove that there's Something out there, but it just doesn't match any of the gods that've been introduced so far, mainly because we haven't seen what It is, and we probably never will.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post
    I wouldn't call it a lie, but a spread of ignorance.

I, for one, treat my religion as a philosophy, and as such it has served me well. I reject things that don't make any logical sense, and keep to heart those which do.

It's not like science disproves the existence of a god-like being, anyway. In-fact it does prove that there's Something out there, but it just doesn't match any of the gods that've been introduced so far, mainly because we haven't seen what It is, and we probably never will.
    Until we die.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagane, the Ice Nomad View Post
    I've been going over this thought constantly for the past month...

HOW can God claim to be Omnipotent AND Benevolent at the same time? I mean, if he's so all-powerful and well-meaning, why is there hunger, war, disease, crime, and corruption in the world? I asked my mother this, and she went into some ranbling rant about how God is all-powerful and well-meaning simplybecause that's how he is, and I as a human am not meant to understand it yet.

Ready, Set, Discuss!
    (Note, this is in reference to the God in Christianity)
    If there really is a god, then if he helped us to much and showed us the way we would follow along like puppets with no free will, if he helps us none then we most likely destroy ourselves because humans are evil at heart thinking for themselves first and others second. So the help that is given would have to be somewhere in the middle where he does not let us know hes here while still provided as much help as he can. Think of god as a hokage Ninja he helps you in small ways without you ever seeing him then *ninja vanish* so you did not know he helped at all. And all the angels are the Pawn ninjas who go on stealth missions.