View Poll Results: Protect Mangashare with Minimum Posts and/or Captchas ..... ASAP

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

10 100.00%
  • NO

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vote Now..Poll to help prevent spamming of our beloved Mangashare Site

Over the past 2 years The Spamming of Mangashare by Spammers, both human and Bots, has become more rampant, excessive, and Breathtaking in scope and volume.

I have tried very hard to nudge or otherwise inspire our Administrators to mount some kind of defense of the site, but other than a promise to study their options, nothing as far as I can see has been done. Meanwhile the spamming onslaught continues.

The image below is a case in point:

Spoiler!

The spammer in question signed up for membership and Immediately Flooded our forums with a Breathtakingly stunning barrage of spam.

This spammer could easily have been stopped by a minimum of say 5 to 10 post in the regular forums before being able to start a new thread. Other spam bots could easily be stopped by Captchas.

An administrator once said(in so many words) that he disfavored the inconvenience posed by Captchas and minimum posts to members/users, but Lets be honest, most sites already protect themselves by multiple means which include Captchas, and Everyone who uses the Internet practically expects to have to go through some anti-spam screening. Nobody would be offended or put off by minimum posts of Captchas in this day and age.

The price of inaction is that we'll lose members and site visitation/ time on site will diminish. In short the Administrators risk damaging Mangashare by not acting.

So we come to this post:

Here is a simple poll.

Are you (as members) in favor of a minimum post requirement, and/or a captcha system to prevent the unprotected spamming of Mangashare? YES or NO

Please Vote if you care about our site, let the Mods and Admins know that we stand behind/beside them and support bold initiative to protect Mangashare.
    Last edited by paulbee; 11-17-2012 at 07:58 AM.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Mindf*cked
    Lesser of 2 evils. It pisses me off to have to do captchas and min posts, but it's more pissing off to have these spammers here...or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaz View Post
    Lesser of 2 evils. It pisses me off to have to do captchas and min posts, but it's more pissing off to have these spammers here...or is it?
    Exactly, one gets the frustrating sense that the Site is being Spammed to its death.

Mindf*cked
    Then again, this forum is probably dead enough to not care...

Orange toad summoner Uzumaki_Tim's Avatar
    We have lost alot of main members which hurt the forums. Along with trying to structure the site too much I think lost quite a bit of the sense of fun the site used to have. I mean we all remember Tobi riding in on his tank, and the ability to post some fake spoilers and have some fun was a bit of a giggle mid week while waiting for the next chapter. The spam definitely hasn't helped but the main problem atm is lack of posting by people. There is no point getting rid of the spam if you then do a new search and find only one topic anyway.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by FenixMarco View Post
    Hey scotty can you make a thread of How much milk Brooke drinks?
    My DoTA hero... Vote for it please!
    www.playdota.com/forums/threads/820/Dak'sar

Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki_Tim View Post
    We have lost alot of main members which hurt the forums. Along with trying to structure the site too much I think lost quite a bit of the sense of fun the site used to have. I mean we all remember Tobi riding in on his tank, and the ability to post some fake spoilers and have some fun was a bit of a giggle mid week while waiting for the next chapter. The spam definitely hasn't helped but the main problem atm is lack of posting by people. There is no point getting rid of the spam if you then do a new search and find only one topic anyway.
    What you're saying ties into this thread:

http://www.mangashare.com/forums/thr...manga-communiy

But it also has a lot to do with spamming. If members log in to the site, but all they see is Wall to Wall Spam, they log out again. Problem is that there may be new posts, but those could be buried somewhere back in page 2 or 3, and may not be easily found. Not every member is going to plow through all the spam to find posts.

I just wish someone in the Administration would level with us and tell us what they intend to do, when they intend to do it, and why they have not done anything after all this time?

What kind of a business (even fun/entertainment/fan oriented) leaves itself vulnerable to such destructive, yet stoppable, attacks like the spamming we face?

Is anybody home, Is anybody minding the Store?

Oh my, I just came back from the dead and the SPAM has been worse (I guess). :(

spam.jpg

Almost all spammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    Oh my, I just came back from the dead and the SPAM has been worse (I guess). :(
    Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    At least with the idea of a minimum posts to open a thread, the spam would be localized in the intro section instead of the entire website. Captchas seem like too much effort (or annoying) for little gain imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    It's sad to see that the "users" online are mostly spam.

EDIT:

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
    This pains me almost to tears, so that I am considering just leaving Mangashare.

Doaes anybody know whether the Admn Guys are even around?

Orange toad summoner Uzumaki_Tim's Avatar
    Start a new poll Paulbee to make us both mods lol. I spend enough time lurking anyway
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by FenixMarco View Post
    Hey scotty can you make a thread of How much milk Brooke drinks?
    My DoTA hero... Vote for it please!
    www.playdota.com/forums/threads/820/Dak'sar

Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki_Tim View Post
    Start a new poll Paulbee to make us both mods lol. I spend enough time lurking anyway
    Tim, It's not the Mods that are the problem, it's the Admin staff. Besides, I don't want to be a Mod, they have a very difficult job these days.

The admin, or some of them, have the power to change policy and Spend Money. The Mods just carry out the policies and have some latitude on how they do that.

What appears to be happening is that an Admin who's crucial to the changes we need has for some reason or another , become unavailable, or unable to do his job at this time.

The Mods are probably just as frustrated as we all are.