Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: E rated.

  1. #1

    E rated.

    If I remember correctly, There weren't as many M rated games as there are today. I look back to when I was a child. And how almost all of my games were E rated. Probably the highest rated game I owned was Teen.
    Now I look at all my currently owned games,and pretty much all of them are M.
    The ironic thing for me is that I only have one Teen game out of all of them besides pokemon.

    What are your opinions on the era of gaming when you were younger,and the era of gaming now?

  2. #2
    Real Nigga Sir Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    1,218
    There have been more protests by mothers with pitchforks >_>

  3. #3
    ɹǝʎʍɐן Я I Hand Banana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hall of fame
    Posts
    5,359
    It was all fine and dandy in my era until Mortal Kombat first came out. And thats when you started to see the Parental ratings crap.

    I'm an adult now so rating don't mean much until I have kids. But for the most part its suitable for my needs.

  4. #4
    Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    Back then most games were fine and dandy because it was something intended only for kids. Gaming has grown up with us now and most people don't realize it. Nowadays all you see are people trying to get games banned without realizing that there are other people in the world that are mature enough and may want to play them. You don't want your kid playing Grand Theft Auto? Fine, then don't let him play it. But don't deprive the rest of us of a chance to play them too.


    Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

    Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

    MyAnimeList MyMangaList

  5. #5
    ɹǝʎʍɐן Я I Hand Banana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hall of fame
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisato-kun View Post
    Back then most games were fine and dandy because it was something intended only for kids. Gaming has grown up with us now and most people don't realize it. Nowadays all you see are people trying to get games banned without realizing that there are other people in the world that are mature enough and may want to play them. You don't want your kid playing Grand Theft Auto? Fine, then don't let him play it. But don't deprive the rest of us of a chance to play them too.
    What are you talking about? Games back then were for all ages not just children.

  6. #6
    New Glasses Masgrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On an island
    Posts
    572
    It's only ignorant parents that complain about M games, anyway maybe the reason we used to see more E games when we were younger is because those were the games we wanted to play bad them and only later were we attracted to M games and started noticing them.

    ''Brother running with a torch and not a damn thing you can do about it!''

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Rift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,334
    Gaming has matured right along with their audience. The average gamer nowadays is about 27.

    Currently Reading:
    Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Gantz, Medaka Box, Beelzebub, Soul Eater, Claymore, Ao no Exorcist

  8. #8
    どうしてこうなった! Sangaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    2,003
    The Shin Megami Tensei games have always had a mature rating iirc, It's quiet an old franchise and has always touched on the darker side of people, murder, ect...

    That's one of the only older games I can think of that had a mature rating.

    Tis true that if you go way back to the old NES games and stuff, they were all pretty much made for children, think it's kind of like the "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" sort of thing, companies probably presumed that older people wouldn't be interesting in something new like that.

  9. #9
    Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisato-kun View Post
    Back then most games were fine and dandy because it was something intended only for kids. Gaming has grown up with us now and most people don't realize it. Nowadays all you see are people trying to get games banned without realizing that there are other people in the world that are mature enough and may want to play them. You don't want your kid playing Grand Theft Auto? Fine, then don't let him play it. But don't deprive the rest of us of a chance to play them too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    What are you talking about? Games back then were for all ages not just children.
    I clarified that it was most games. Sure there were a few games that were targeting at older audiences, like all the sex games on the Atari, but those had little to no audience and weren't even sold at most retailers so I don't see it as fit to count them. Games like Contra and Metal Gear weren't graphic either so most parents were ok with it. We're seeing problems now because of more realistic depictions of violence and *gasp* sexuality.


    Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

    Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

    MyAnimeList MyMangaList

  10. #10
    ɹǝʎʍɐן Я I Hand Banana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hall of fame
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisato-kun View Post
    I clarified that it was most games. Sure there were a few games that were targeting at older audiences, like all the sex games on the Atari, but those had little to no audience and weren't even sold at most retailers so I don't see it as fit to count them. Games like Contra and Metal Gear weren't graphic either so most parents were ok with it. We're seeing problems now because of more realistic depictions of violence and *gasp* sexuality.
    The rating systems got heavy because of a Sega game. There was no big sexual content then. Just blood and gore.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •