Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I'm sure that a similar survey was done not a long time ago. Anyway the survey was for the most "omoshiroi" manga: omoshiroi meaning a number of things from interesting to curiousity-perking to amusing, and I think the responses are quite appropriate.

And I'm amazed at thatbabo's list... The US has a rather polarized manga audience it seems. I like Naruto, but 7 out of the top 10 is just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post
    I'm sure that a similar survey was done not a long time ago. Anyway the survey was for the most "omoshiroi" manga: omoshiroi meaning a number of things from interesting to curiousity-perking to amusing, and I think the responses are quite appropriate.

And I'm amazed at thatbabo's list... The US has a rather polarized manga audience it seems. I like Naruto, but 7 out of the top 10 is just weird.

Well to be fair, Viz is pushing Naruto to be their next DBZ since also they were releasing like 3 volume a month at one point, also we have alot of impressionable youth that would beg their parent to buy them it, but as they grow up they will see Naruto wasnt what they once was and find a different manga story....

Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post

It's not that surprising when you consider how heavily Viz are promoting Naruto ahead of all the other stuff in their catalogue. They seem to be releasing volumes on a monthly basis. Two years ago they were on volume 12 (The final round of the Chuunin Exam). This weekend I found volume 42 (I think) in Forbidden Planet. The last page showed Sasuke and Itachi squaring up. That's how quickly Viz are pushing out Naruto. I wish OP was getting that kind of backing. I could only find volume 20 in the same shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    If Pow wrote the manga it would be accurate as fuck lol. I stand behind Pow(while humping his leg) on this one.
    Troll Tagged by Uzumaki_Tim

i would like to nominate 1/2 prince to the list it is a pretty interesting and funny manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Death View Post
    Viz is pushing Naruto to be their next DBZ
    Interesting take on Viz's marketing of Naruto. It certainly seems like it at times -- Naruto has so pervaded the otaku culture that you can't go to a cosplay event without seeing at least one person playing a Naruto character. But is there any series that can really knock down DBZ's legendary status? One Piece may have taken top spot in this poll, but I can't see it reaching the same pinnacle of fame that DBZ has -- not for a while yet, at least, if ever. James Wong and 20th Century Fox may have tried to kill Dragonball, but Toriyama-sensei's masterpiece still holds strong.

Quote Originally Posted by onepinksheep View Post
    Interesting take on Viz's marketing of Naruto. It certainly seems like it at times -- Naruto has so pervaded the otaku culture that you can't go to a cosplay event without seeing at least one person playing a Naruto character. But is there any series that can really knock down DBZ's legendary status? One Piece may have taken top spot in this poll, but I can't see it reaching the same pinnacle of fame that DBZ has -- not for a while yet, at least, if ever. James Wong and 20th Century Fox may have tried to kill Dragonball, but Toriyama-sensei's masterpiece still holds strong.
    One Piece will never be able to knock off DBZ. Neither will Naruto for that matter either.

Actually, One Piece is all of ten million sales behind Dragonball in Japan, in addition, it holds the all-time records for sales of a single volume, so in real terms, it is just a case of waiting for the coronation now...

4Kids has single-handedly ruined One Piece in the US market, so that tends to skew perceptions of the sheer popularity of this series, given that it's only a matter of time before it becomes the greatest selling series of all time in its home country. (And indeed, it will probably far (As in multiple tens of millions) outstrip Dragonball if you take into account the fact that Dragonball has been on sale for longer, as One Piece is a series that will continue to intrigue people even after its run is complete, and that doesn't look to be happening for many years to come). For perspective, as of 2008, Naruto in 44 volumes and related publications had sold 89,000,000 units whilst One Piece in 48 volumes had sold 140,000,000 (DB is at 150,000,000) and Bleach through 34 volumes has sold 50,000,000, which is what Rurouni Kenshin managed across its entire run.

For contrast, in terms of the best selling Viz volumes go, the highest One Piece volume is 20 and it comes in at 61st as of February this year...

So yeah, One Piece will surpass DB in sales in Japan, Naruto has no chance unless it maybe lasts for a couple of hundred volumes, but on the other hand One Piece has probably been irredeemably screwed in overseas markets by abysmal localisation (And it isn't only 4kids, though they're probably the worst offender).

Initiate
    Interesting polls dude. I think it may be a reflection on how the mangas are adapted when they hit the international scene.

With OP for instance, I only recently started getting into the manga. This was due to the fact that they had released the anime here for quite some time and it appeared to be very childish and I never really got into the anime. It was also marketed as a kids anime and as such you dont really appreciate it, that being said i definitely rate the manga now. The manga doesn't suffer from the same affliction as the translation is done directly and isn't abridged.

As for Bleach and Naruto, I watched Naruto and Bleach Animes only translated before I read the manga and I'm guessing that not too much of the content gets lost in the translation so the animes retain the writers meaning and the story is far more congruent.

the king of turtles lazytortoise's Avatar
    ONE PIECE FTW~~~~!! hahahah im not suprized with bleach, but naruto i thought it would at least be on one of the top 15. gintama... is one of the top?! lol good for it! but the manga is alll over the place~! which is why i prefer gintama anime over gintama manga..

Banned
    First of all I'm surprised K-On! got a top 30 on the 1st volume. I tip my hat to that series. I think this poll maybe be somewhat skewed as many readers haven't been exposed to most manga on the market. For instance, Fairy Tail is very similar to OP, and just as interesting in my mind, but it has a much smaller following, therefor, even if FT was considered as interesting as OP by followers of both, It most likely wouldn't be anywhere near OP just based on Fanbase.