Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

One Piece gets #1 in a Top 15 Most Interesting Manga Survey

Here's an interesting tidbit. It seems like One Piece beat out Dragonball to take the number one spot in a Japanese survey of which is the most entertaining manga, taken from a sampling of 6000 respondents (all Japanese). What's also interesting is how Naruto and Bleach aren't in the list at all, which would seem to imply that those two series' popularity have waned since their heydays. Anyway, here's the complete list (via Itai News):

1. One Piece
    2. Dragonball
    3. JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
    4. Golgo 13
    5. Fullmetal Alchemist
    6. Slam Dunk
    7. Fist of the North Star
    8. Hunter x Hunter
    9. Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo
    10. Doubutsu no O-Isha-san
    11. Kuso Miso Technique
    12. Gintama
    13. Detective Conan
    14. Nodame Cantabile
    15. Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei
    Just to reiterate, this is a sampling of only 6000 Japanese respondents and there seems to be no mention of how varied the people surveyed may be (what age range, etc). I'm sure there are some of you who will disagree with this survey -- there always are.

I been saying it for years One Piece > Naruto + Bleach.....

So,

I'm wondering what's the entire point of this thread. And why you felt the need to point out Naruto and Bleach weren't on the list when its obvious to anyone who can read that they're not there. Are you trying to start a flame war?

Plus it's a random poll. You have no idea where they sampled from. They could have been at a One Piece convention for all you know.

Hell, they could have just asked Mister Death 6000 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    If Pow wrote the manga it would be accurate as fuck lol. I stand behind Pow(while humping his leg) on this one.
    Troll Tagged by Uzumaki_Tim

The survey result was released May 6, 2009. As for when the survey was taken, I haven't the foggiest. Probably relatively recently. Yeah, there are some old, old series on the list, but I get the feeling it was a survey of all manga, not just current ones.

Flame war? Not at all. I read Naruto and Bleach, in fact, though my interest in them has admittedly waned. What I find interesting about the lack of those two series in the top 15 (just the top 15, as based on comments on the article, it seems that those two are in the complete list, just not the top 15) is that both Naruto and Bleach are huge in the international community, and it's interesting to see how they stack up among the Japanese themselves. I also find it interesting that there are some manga there that I haven't even heard of. Could be that they don't cross the culture barrier as well, but they might be interesting to check out anyway.
    Last edited by thsv; 05-07-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Double post again and I'll cut you

Maybe an international poll (doubt there would be one for manga) would be more relevant to our interests considering this isn't a Japanese site. And all this does for me is give me a list of other stuff think about picking up.

International polls with decent multi-national samplings are hard to get. I couldn't find one, in fact, so if anyone can point me to one, it'll be much appreciated. The reason I posted this poll is that 1. One Piece gets top spot in it, so it's relevant to the OP forum, and 2. the fact that its respondents are all Japanese shows the disparity of interests between the mainstream international and mainstream Japanese manga communities. (Btw, I just found out that the poll was apparently sampled from a "general Japanese audience" whatever that's supposed to mean").

Talking about polls, I've found it interesting to note that the NY Times Graphic Books Bestseller List (Manga) for this March showed 7 Naruto volumes taking up spots in the top 10. Also interesting is the response of many of the residents of 2ch, a Japanese BBS board (keep in mind that with this being 2ch, anything from them must be taken with a grain of salt), who find Westerners' fascination with Naruto (and ninjas in general) somewhat surprising. One smart 2channer, though, noted that Westerners are fascinated with ninjas the same way that Japanese are fascinated with wizards and pirates -- it's the draw of a different culture.

By the way, Oricon's weekly manga sales ranking (Japan) for Apr 27 - May 3 seems to an interesting read. At the least, there are a few names there that I've never heard of before.

*1, 504,024 *,504,024 Naruto vol.46
    *2, 158,334 *,158,334 Ouran High School Host Club vol.14
    *3, 103,333 *,103,333 Eyeshield 21 vol.35
    *4, *94,300 *,*95,300 Claymore vol.16
    *5, *83,917 *,190,915 Mei-chan no Shitsuji vol.9
    *6, *83,216 *,*83,216 Toriko vol.4
    *7, *79,681 *,*79,681 Gintama Character Book vol.2 Gintama Gonensei
    *8, *56,340 *,105,202 Bokutachi wa Shitte Shimatta vol.6
    *9, *56,087 1,012,712 Fullmetal Alchemist vol.22
    10, *54,713 *,*54,713 Yu-Gi-Oh! GX vol.5

11, *54,549 *,*54,555 Gang King vol,16
    12, *54,125 *,*54,125 Kure-nai vol.3
    13, *47,750 *,*47,750 Kochira Katsushika-ku Kamearikouen-mae Hashutsujo vol.164
    14, *47,348 *,*47,348 Futari Ecchi vol.42
    15, *46,834 *,*46,834 Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro vol.21
    16, *45,875 *,*45,875 Sengoku Tenshouki vol.5*34,683
    17, *38,011 *,*38,011 Hana yorimo Hana no Gotoku vol.7
    18, *35,468 *,*63,296 Crimson Hero vol.15
    19, *34,683 *,*34,683 Ikka Ryaku
    20, *32,253 *,127,357 Giant Killing vol.10

21, *32,029 *,240,780 Kekkaishi vol.24
    22, *30,910 *,293,567 Hayate The Combat Butler! vol.19
    23, *29,950 *,210,620 Ace of Diamond vol.15
    24, *28,991 *,*28,991 Dorabase vol.17
    25, *28,421 *,*87,270 Zipang vol.40
    26, *28,000 *,195,362 Life vol.20
    27, *27,655 *,*27,655 One Piece recap The 11th Log
    28, *27,552 *,*37,159 Atsumare! Gakuen Tengoku vol.2
    29, *27,018 *,*66,648 Fate/stay night vol.9
    30, *26,547 *,112,722 K-ON! vol.1
    Last edited by onepinksheep; 05-07-2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added source links

Interesting...the fact that 4, 9, and 10 made the list seems to imply that they got a pretty wide age range...

It's really shocking that Naruto and Bleach didn't make the cut...especially when you consider the obscene numbers both still do with their tankos...

The lack of seinen representation is a bit disturbing though...maybe it was just shounen related stuffs...

Edit: Out of curiosity, I checked to see what was the top selling manga in the US. Very, very disturbing to say the least. According to the NY Times, March 2009:

Graphic Books Best Seller List (Manga)

1 Naruto, Vol. 40, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.) The continuing adventures of Naruto Uzumaki, young ninja in training.
    2 Naruto, Vol. 41, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.) Oh, Naruto, will you ever learn?
    3 Naruto, Vol. 38, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.) Oh, Naruto, will you ever learn?
    4 Naruto, Vol. 39, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.) Oh, Naruto, will you ever learn?
    5 Bleach, Vol. 26, by Tite Kubo. (VIZ Media, $7.95.) Ichigo Kurosaki sees dead people – and must help souls find their way to the afterlife.
    6 Naruto, Vol. 37, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.) Oh, Naruto, will you ever learn?
    7 Naruto, Vol. 35, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.) Oh, Naruto, will you ever learn?
    8 Gentlemen’s Alliance, Vol. 9, by Arina Tanemura. A star-crossed romance set at a private academy. (VIZ Media, $8.99.)
    9 Black Cat, Vol. 19, by Kentaro Yabuki. (VIZ Media, $7.99.) Train Heartnet was once the assassin known as the Black Cat. He’s now a bounty hunter, but his past has a way of catching up to him.
    10. Naruto, Vol. 36, by Masashi Kishimoto. (VIZ Media, $7.95.) Oh, Naruto, will you ever learn?

My god...

Although this may speak more on how much OP has been bastardized here in the states...that's what I'll keep on telling myself to preserve my sanity anyway...
    "Hey thanks for emailing me. Why you dropping Fairy Tail again?????? It is one of the most awesome manga so please please keep doing it because I do now want to add other scans to my collection since it is not so good. If you need help I can help out with anything except I don't know how to do the manga typing and that kind of stuff. By the way, are you thinking about Code Breaker? If so, I can also maybe help with that too. Also, next time if you will drop the series don't email me. It is depressing news and I will rather just not know this time. Thank you."

Quote Originally Posted by thatbabo View Post
    It's really shocking that Naruto and Bleach didn't make the cut...especially when you consider the obscene numbers both still do with their tankos...

The lack of seinen representation is a bit disturbing though...maybe it was just shounen related stuffs...
    I was also surprised to see that Naruto and Bleach didn't make it to the top 15, especially Naruto, considering the sales figures. Then again, considering the opinions of some Japanese otaku as shown on some message boards, perhaps I shouldn't be. It's fascinating how a high sales figure for a series doesn't necessarily mean that people rate it highly (I suppose that's a lesson marketers already know).

About the lack of seinen, could it be perhaps that seinen is mostly heavy stuff and this poll is about what people consider entertaining? Not that seinen isn't entertaining, but perhaps the Japanese view the concept differently. Still, I would have thought Monster would make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by onepinksheep View Post
    I was also surprised to see that Naruto and Bleach didn't make it to the top 15, especially Naruto, considering the sales figures. Then again, considering the opinions of some Japanese otaku as shown on some message boards, perhaps I shouldn't be. It's fascinating how a high sales figure for a series doesn't necessarily mean that people rate it highly (I suppose that's a lesson marketers already know).

About the lack of seinen, could it be perhaps that seinen is mostly heavy stuff and this poll is about what people consider entertaining? Not that seinen isn't entertaining, but perhaps the Japanese view the concept differently. Still, I would have thought Monster would make the list.
    Still, unless they handpicked hardcore otaku it still is a bit perplexing. Sales figures may not correlate to a quality product, but popular is still popular.

I would've expected Monster and Berserk to be up there somewhere...

Still, can't knock the list. Only manga I never heard of is 11. At least they got the first two right.

It's also good to see HxH up there. Despite the recent mess the series has turned into, it's definitely deserving...
    "Hey thanks for emailing me. Why you dropping Fairy Tail again?????? It is one of the most awesome manga so please please keep doing it because I do now want to add other scans to my collection since it is not so good. If you need help I can help out with anything except I don't know how to do the manga typing and that kind of stuff. By the way, are you thinking about Code Breaker? If so, I can also maybe help with that too. Also, next time if you will drop the series don't email me. It is depressing news and I will rather just not know this time. Thank you."