View Poll Results: so what do you think about pluto

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its till a planet to me VIVA LA PLUTO!!!!!!!

15 38.46%
  • No it isn't a planet, NASA says so and so does my mom

8 20.51%
  • Who cares? its a ball of ice with a rock floating around it

16 41.03%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    This Machine Pwns n00bs Amargo Deathscythe's Avatar

the pluto debate

ok I've been arguing with my cousin for months about this, as we already know scientists have declared pluto is no longer considered a planet (oh no say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!) but as far as my cousin is conserned he believes since pluto has a moon it should still be considered a planet and my response was who cares we can't live there anyway, even an iceberg would get frost bite there so i thought why not end this stupid quarrel of ours by asking the people of my favorite forum what they think. so people what do you say: pluto should still be a planet, no it shouldn't, or who cares.

SIG AND AVA BY JAIDEN

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    Pluto is not a planet. It's a ball of ice trapped in an orbit. Tell your cousin to listen to the people that study this sort of thing and get over it.

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

Pluto is smaller than our Moon. How can it be a planet?

PLUTO's DIAMETER =2390KM approx.

MOON'S DIAMETER= 3475 KM

I'd say anything that can't brag a bigger presence in the sky than Luna, doesn't have the right to clam a bigger status.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

This Machine Pwns n00bs Amargo Deathscythe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisato-kun View Post
    Pluto is not a planet. It's a ball of ice trapped in an orbit. Tell your cousin to listen to the people that study this sort of thing and get over it.
    i keep saying that but he thinks other people actually care about pluto.....it's sad really

SIG AND AVA BY JAIDEN

"Whoa! Pluto's dead," said astronomer Mike Brown, of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, as he watched a Webcast of the vote. "There are finally, officially, eight planets in the solar system."

In a move that's already generating controversy and will force textbooks to be rewritten, Pluto will now be dubbed a dwarf planet.

But it's no longer part of an exclusive club, since there are more than 40 of these dwarfs, including the large asteroid Ceres and 2003 UB313, nicknamed Xena—a distant object slightly larger than Pluto discovered by Brown last year.

"We know of 44" dwarf planets so far, Brown said. "We will find hundreds. It's a very huge category."

A clear majority of researchers voted for the new definition at a meeting of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) in Prague, in the Czech Republic. The IAU decides the official names of all celestial bodies.

The tough decision comes after a multiyear search for a scientific definition of the word "planet." The term never had an official meaning before.

What Is a Planet Today?

According to the new definition, a full-fledged planet is an object that orbits the sun and is large enough to have become round due to the force of its own gravity. In addition, a planet has to dominate the neighborhood around its orbit.

Pluto has been demoted because it does not dominate its neighborhood. Charon, its large "moon," is only about half the size of Pluto, while all the true planets are far larger than their moons.

In addition, bodies that dominate their neighborhoods, "sweep up" asteroids, comets, and other debris, clearing a path along their orbits. By contrast, Pluto's orbit is somewhat untidy.
    dont think the astronomers are right, i mean, pluto is round, it orbits around the sun, and has a moon (proof that pluot has a gravity center enough to have a moon with half its size around it), so i'll say screw the astronomers, pluto is a planet for me, this was the way i learnt it and this will be my conviction

~My DeviantArt Account|My Mangashare Gallery~
    Are you a One Piece Fan? Then click HERE, you wont regret it!!!

I give you...the very first post from the IRC thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Asce View Post
    <Spades> ROYGBIV!
    <Spades> ROYGBIV!!!!!1
    <Woofcat> ?
    <Umbra037> Spades,
    <Umbra037> they took out v
    <Spades> what?
    <Spades> why?!
    <Umbra037> wait
    <Umbra037> nvm
    <Umbra037> they took out I
    <Umbra037> so now its ROYGBV
    <Spades> ...that's just roygbv
    <Spades> ...
    <Spades> ...what happened to indigo
    <Umbra037> not a color anymore, just like pluto isn't a planet
    <Umbra037> ^_^
    <NPG> Pluto was never a planet
    <NPG> but it still is in Mexico
    <NPG> cos that's where they discovered it
    <NPG> and the Mexicans are like
    <NPG> FUCK YOU
    <Umbra037> rofl
    <NPG> IT IS A PLANET
    <NPG> DAMN IT
    <NPG> YOU CAN CALL IT WHATEVER YOU LIKE
    <NPG> IN MEXICO
    <NPG> IT'S A PLANET
    <NPG> xD

Ravona

Ever wonder why one of your particularly bad posts has been deleted? Feel free to contact me!

Queen of the Boredom Zone Arhazivory's Avatar
    It's a planet. Even if it's reduced to a speck of dust...it's a planet. It'll forever be a planet in the hearts of the true Pluto-lovers.
    ^Birthday Sig & Ava from Mikessc88 <3 v Birthday Sig from Imotochan <3
    Lords of the Boredom Zone: Arhazivory Redsquirrel and Crossx21

The hell I care? LOL

Not until centuries from now if we survive and apparently venture into space.

Who really cares. Nothing changed. They just took the definition and changed it. Its ridiculous. Who decides what defines the term anyway. If I wanted to I could tweak the definition so that earth is no longer a planet. Its all a bit dumb IMO. Its sad that people sit around wasting there time doing crap like that too.

Sig and Ava by Imotochan

pluto is a planet,, when i was a kid it was a planet and nothing have change,, it still go around the sun and has a moon,<<<<<its a planet VIVA LA PLUTO!!!!!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/ImogenSparksModel

Spoiler!