There are certain technology developments that I have always dreamt and wished for. Some are very sky-in-the-pie ish, and others seem more around the corner. Here are some of them.
1) Space/dimensional portals: Imagine if we had space portals which in effect is a doorway that you step through and emerge at a different location. Just try to imagine what impact this would have on things like Air travel, War/Security, dispersal of families, etc.
2) Food converter/dispenser: Imagine a Kitchen counter top device that manufactures food from raw materials. Plug it in, open the input lid, drop in grass, and left over food, and out the other side pops out edible food. Imagine how this would revolutionize agriculture and alleviate hunger.
3) Virtual Telepresence: Now imagine a pair of glases that display High def. video to your eyes. Imagine now that those glasses are linked to a pair of High res. video cams that are attached to a robot at a remote location in real time. In effect you coud have the video cams on a miniature submarine controlable from your location. Imagine being able to explore an area of Ocean from the comfort of your bedroom. Or if you like, go on a trip to Australia virtually, your robot avatar would also carry microphones, so that you can see, tour and explore Sydney, even shop in Australia using a Credit Card, all these without the inconvenience of air travel, terrorist, jet-lag and so forth.
4) The Matrix: Just park/deposit Your body at a body bank, and spend the next few months or years living in a virtual world of your choosing. Don't knock it guys, the only downside I see is that it probably can't be done.
5) Force fields: Force fields are good not only for repelling bullets, but they could also create an ideal environment around your body, climate and weather wise. Snow and rain can fall all they want. Bears, lions and crocs can growl all they want. You'd be able to live anywhere safely protected in your own little energy cocoon.
Let me stop here for now. If you also have some neat futuristic ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks.