Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar

Anime, Manga and Video Game Hall of Fame

Looks like I have yet another reason to visit Tokyo in the future.

In an effort to gather the world's attention to Japanese art in the form of anime, manga, video games and contemporary art, as well as preserving these art forms, a budget of 117 billion yen, approximately $1,16 billion, will be used to build the "Hall-of-Fame". At the same time there will be plans to improve the transportation in central Tokyo.
    When finished this will be the first national facility focusing entirely on these art forms.

Japanese source: The Asahi Shimbun: http://www.asahi.com/culture/update/...904090145.html

English source: MAL: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=78404

I think this is awesome. There are quite a few games out there I'd consider art and the same goes for certain anime and manga series as well. Do you have any games or series you'd consider art? Would you visit this place?

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

former mod
    This is genius. There are tons of series that I'd consider art, lmao... how is that even debateable?
    And yeah, game series like Metal Gear are simply awesome, there are lots of game series that I'd consider art as well... it's simply art of the 20th, 21th century, and in 300-400 years people will see it as that, or that's what I love to think.

And yep, would definitely add that place for my Japan trip, if I ever planned one. (Donate me money! )

They're spending 1.16 billion dollars on a video game hall of fame....

Mind f*cked beyond repair Stev3child's Avatar
    My list for outstandingly artistic games(not in any particular order)-

Okami
    Madworld
    Zelda Windwaker
    I'll think of more later...
    QUOTE(s) OF THE MOMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Death View Post
    I swear if your theories were any dumber I would be retarded...

Banned
    Wow, this is like a ground zero for all japanese wars ever now.
    Think about the problems this will create if things like GTA get inducted.
    I personally love this idea. They need to have people video tape the narutards & such.
    This will be a lulzcow of epic proportion.

I can imagine Japanese Narutards throwing a fit if the Narultimate series doesn't get inducted.

Only games I could think of right now are the Pokemon series and Final Fantasy series.

Monster Hunter series will definitely be on there. . .

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve3child View Post
    My list for outstandingly artistic games(not in any particular order)-

Okami
    Madworld
    Zelda Windwaker
    I'll think of more later...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohanssj237 View Post
    Only games I could think of right now are the Pokemon series and Final Fantasy series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Operator View Post
    Monster Hunter series will definitely be on there. . .
    I'm kinda shocked that no one has mentioned Dragon Quest yet.....

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

They're wasting $1.18 Billion dollars on this? I like my videos games, and some of them are art, but a hall of fame like this isn't worth that much money. By the way, I'm very picky with that art term. Monster Hunter isn't art, Mad World for sure isn't, Wind Waker is maybe, pokemon is not, only some of the Final Fantasy series.

Just because a game is good, doesn't make it art. It can be fun without it being artistic. BioShock is artistic, Metal Gear Solid is artistic, Mass Effect is artistic. These games tell a story, deep ones at that, through an interactive medium. I'm not saying you necessarily need a story to make a game art, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Although this is a hall of fame, not an art gallery. Most likely what will end up in here are exemplary games, and milestones in the gaming industry. Don't expect your favorite game to be on there, it may be good, but it's may not be that good.