Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

PSP (and other handheld game console) Game Discussion / Recommendations

Hey there guys and gals! We know that sometimes playing handheld game consoles is just the perfect way to relieve some stress. Since they are rarely mentioned, I think it would be more proper to have its own thread.

I have stopped using NDS and now focusing on PSP (hence the title). I am tired of searching and asking people for their recommendation[s] so let's try to help each other here.

I would like to know your thoughts on the ones you have played. Here's a rundown of the things that I would like to know.

Genre
    (Action / Adventure / Cards / RPG / Shooting / Simulation / Sports / etc.)

Gameplay
    (First Person / Real-time / Strategy / Tactical / Turn-based / etc.)

Personal Rating
    (Anything you want to say. )

BTW, here are the PSP games that I have played.
    • Star Ocean : First Departure
    • Star Ocean : Second Evolution
    • Valkyrie Profile : Lenneth
    • NBA Live 2009
    • Mana Khemia : Student Alliance
    • Jeanne d'Arc
    • Final Fantasy : Crisis Core
    • Final Fantasy : Dissidia

It's obvious that I like RPGs a LOT.

I have also tried Phantasy Star Portable but I do not like such gameplay. Though Monster Hunter is a viable candidate (even if it has the same gameplay to that of PSP) because it has better graphics than that of PSP IMO.
    Last edited by Arbitrary; 03-29-2009 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xXD3THKLOKXx View Post
    Street Fighter - PSP, seems good fit as the marketing is easy and the console is good for this genre.

Super Smash Bros. - DS, based on the sucess of Jump Ultimate Stars this would be a huge sucess if done correctly.
    i dunno what you're doing, he's asking for recommendations... not i wish this was a game...
    and there is a street fighter game for psp.

@Arbitrary
    resistance retribution isn't bad, its a pretty good 3rd person shooter for the psp
    and if you like racing games, play wipeout pulse, its sweet, and you get to use your own music as a soundtrack.
    hmm what else. GTA vice city is fun, i don't play too many rpgs on the psp. if you don't mind japanese games, the gundam vs games are pretty good( arcade style figthing). and KH birth by sleep should be coming out this year. and FF Agito XIII is coming out.

made by [DFX]
    Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    you got me what I always wanted \o/
    you're now my favorite person.
    jaeger makes the internet go round

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tatsukai1990 View Post
    i dunno what you're doing, he's asking for recommendations... not i wish this was a game...

@Arbitrary
    resistance retribution isn't bad, its a pretty good 3rd person shooter for the psp
    and if you like racing games, play wipeout pulse, its sweet, and you get to use your own music as a soundtrack.
    hmm what else. GTA vice city is fun, i don't play too many rpgs on the psp. if you don't mind japanese games, the gundam vs games are pretty good( arcade style figthing). and KH birth by sleep should be coming out this year. and FF Agito XIII is coming out.
    EPIC FAIL
    Im sorry i neglected to attempt to comprehend the original post.

Anyway the only RPG i would recomend you haven't already listed is Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

It's a unique Turn-based Strategy/RPG with lots of character building
    9/10

ooh disgea is good, super hard though

made by [DFX]
    Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    you got me what I always wanted \o/
    you're now my favorite person.
    jaeger makes the internet go round

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness is the best thing I can possibly recommend. From the quirky characters to the humorous storyline coupled with the hours upon hours of strangely addictive grinding you'll be sure to get a lot of hours out of this one. Disgaea 2 is coming out for PSP as well so try and get your hands on that. I, for one, think 2 is better than 1 in almost every possible way.

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

Decidedly Undecided
    PSP games I've played---

Castlevania: the Dracula X Chronicles(Decent game, not too muc to do once you unlock the extras, except beat the game), Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII(I'm actually considering buying this one again), Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness(my fave game in my collection), Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary edition(my 3rd fave), Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions(my 2nd fave), Ghost in the Shell(I forget the subheadng, but it's a decent game, another one I'm considering buying again), Guilty Gear Judgement(Good game, but no unlockables except the characters), King of FIghters COllection: the Orochi Saga(A good game to play in the car), Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX(Awesome game, I regret selling it in the first place, so I bought it again), Tekken: Dark Resurrection(Only buy if you've never played Tekken 5 before). I reccommend all of these titles, especially Disgaea and the two Final Fantasy titles.

(sig by Cross)

my deviantart page...:http://hagane90.deviantart.com/
    Note, I have no real drawing talent, so it'll be mostly literature.

Proud Grammar Nazi

@Arbitrary
    I really do not mind the origins as long as I can understand the game (English language).

Quote Originally Posted by xXD3THKLOKXx View Post
    EPIC FAIL
    Im sorry i neglected to attempt to comprehend the original post.

Anyway the only RPG i would recomend you haven't already listed is Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

It's a unique Turn-based Strategy/RPG with lots of character building
    9/10
    ooh disgea is good, super hard though
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisato-kun View Post
    Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness is the best thing I can possibly recommend. From the quirky characters to the humorous storyline coupled with the hours upon hours of strangely addictive grinding you'll be sure to get a lot of hours out of this one. Disgaea 2 is coming out for PSP as well so try and get your hands on that. I, for one, think 2 is better than 1 in almost every possible way.
    Hmm, I'll try to check Disgaea. So there will be two Disgaea for PSP when the other comes out, right? If I play the PSP version, will there be lots of stories that I will miss?

But I don't mind if the story of the PSP version is different with that of its predecessor (PS / PS2).

Quote Originally Posted by Hagane, the Ice Nomad View Post
    PSP games I've played---

Castlevania: the Dracula X Chronicles(Decent game, not too muc to do once you unlock the extras, except beat the game), Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII(I'm actually considering buying this one again), Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness(my fave game in my collection), Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary edition(my 3rd fave), Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions(my 2nd fave), Ghost in the Shell(I forget the subheadng, but it's a decent game, another one I'm considering buying again), Guilty Gear Judgement(Good game, but no unlockables except the characters), King of FIghters COllection: the Orochi Saga(A good game to play in the car), Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX(Awesome game, I regret selling it in the first place, so I bought it again), Tekken: Dark Resurrection(Only buy if you've never played Tekken 5 before). I reccommend all of these titles, especially Disgaea and the two Final Fantasy titles.
    @_@ Had a hard time reading, LOL. Anyway, I've played some Final Fantasy games too. I really do not like VS games (Tekken), I suck there since age 6. I never really had the fun in those games. But I do like watching great action from good players. Some racing games are better off at PCs.

I'll try the Final Fantasy Tactics PSP version. Oh and, I'm done with Castlevania. Gone were the days.

How is the gameplay of Guilty Gear?

Decidedly Undecided
    There's two modes. First is the standard fighting game mode, and then there's the beat-'em-up Judgement mode. Both are good, but Judgement mode has a better soundtrack.

(sig by Cross)

my deviantart page...:http://hagane90.deviantart.com/
    Note, I have no real drawing talent, so it'll be mostly literature.

Proud Grammar Nazi

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    Disgaea for PSP doesn't have a different story. It's the same as the ones on PS2. NIS just tacked on a bunch of extras to make it more awesome. After beating the game you can give Etna mode a whirl which is just an alternate storyline about what would have happened if the main character, Laharl, died with Etna (who is awesome) as the main character.

Not sure what's in store for the 2nd game but you can expect 70+ hours out of Disgaea at the very least.

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList