Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    saying japan is better than america is a completely understandable statement even if you havent been there.....just look at their beauties

america ftw

also churches are good for society (what ever religion) because they teach morality and civility to the people better than any government could (actually thats a quote from ron paul...who is running for pres wooooooo)
    even with that said, i never go to church and i dont consider myself belonging to any religion

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    Quote Originally Posted by anarchris View Post
    also churches are good for society (what ever religion) because they teach morality and civility to the people better than any government could
    That's such utter bollocks.

If you don't go to Church - How does it teach you?

Quote Originally Posted by Noodleplugerine View Post
    That's such utter bollocks.

If you don't go to Church - How does it teach you?
    It could have a ripple effect - religion teaches half of the population about morality, and then the other half learns morality from the taught half though example. That's just what one could say though.

A philosophy teacher of mine once that religion was immensely important all across the world because there has never been a society without some sort of religion in all of history. Therefore, religion has to be important and necessary.
    All glory to Haruhi! The one and true God!

God I hope we don't get one of those "Religion is good vs. Religion is evil" arguments.

Anyway, I'm going to go back on topic. I do believe we're allowed to have our own judgment on other cultures on the two conditions that are us having our facts strait and the person judging to not be an idiot.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 08-27-2007 at 01:41 AM.

The Irish Cougar MountainLionLink's Avatar
    Religion is bad, m'kay?

I would have something to actually go with my sarcastic comment, but I have a headache at the moment.
    HALO
    It's just the Metroid series remade for the Xbox crowd.
    However Samus Aran is now some unknown low ranking military personal.
    Also the space pirates worship some giant doomsday hula hoop machine.

Currently Reading
    Karakuri Circus, Mx0, Red River, Rosario+Vampire, One Piece

Nintendo Wii Friend's number

Religion is good, religion is bad, who cares? It's like the circumcision argument, those who have it think it's good and those who don't think it's bad, and there's no changing the other's mind.

On topic, I somewhat agree with Whitebeard: If you have the right info, and you're actually smart, you can judge a place, but only to a certain degree. You could hear that Mount Rushmore is the best monument in America, and you could see a thousand pictures and see how beautiful it is, but you can't say it's the best until you've actually been there. There could be some weird funk around the place that ruins the experience entirely.

Expand that to a huge metaphor yourselves. I've gotta go to class in an hour, and I want to conserve my brains.

But....if you don't know about the weird funk then you don't have your facts strait thus rendering you incapable of have a valid judgment.

God is real!
    http://mangashare.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic254_5.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Clavat View Post
    God is real!
    Nietzsche killed him.
    Your friendly neighborhood debunker.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    But....if you don't know about the weird funk then you don't have your facts strait thus rendering you incapable of have a valid judgment.
    Well, it may not be that your facts are not straight; in that case, it would simply be that you do not have all the facts, and of course, it is easily not possible to have all the facts. I mean, I live in the US, and I don't have all the facts about the US (or my own city, for that).

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    Nietzsche killed him.
    Actually, we killed God. Supposedly.

And something killed Nietzsche. Couldn't that something be God?