Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

One Piece Monkey D. Luffy: Gear 4th?

To become the strongest, Luffy will doubtlessly continue to evolve. Gear 2nd and 3rd would not guarantee his victories in the future, especially in the New World. There is little doubt that in the future, Luffy shall develop a fourth gear.

So, what's the fourth gear consisted of? And what will be the fourth gear's side effect? What price will Luffy pay in order to surpass his own limitation? Keep it in mind that so far Gear 2nd and 3rd are theoretically plausible from a scientific perspective.
    Last edited by DukeTheGold; 05-18-2008 at 02:36 AM.

The Irish Cougar MountainLionLink's Avatar
    why Duke why? I thought you were above creating a topic like this.

There will not be a gear four, as these gear maneuvers are too similar to super saiyan levels. A fourth gear would included what abilities that the previous three gears already have? Yes three gears people;

[1] normal luffy - normal levels of speed and power

[2] pressurized luffy - high levels of speed and power

[3] inflated luffy - high level of power although no speed

[4] son goku luffy - Luffy dons a long blond wig and shoots off energy blasts.
    HALO
    It's just the Metroid series remade for the Xbox crowd.
    However Samus Aran is now some unknown low ranking military personal.
    Also the space pirates worship some giant doomsday hula hoop machine.

Currently Reading
    Karakuri Circus, Mx0, Red River, Rosario+Vampire, One Piece

Nintendo Wii Friend's number

The Irish Cougar MountainLionLink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luimac View Post
    I know but what else can he do... pump air threw his body gear 2 cause of rubber boddy. Pump air threw bone to expand the rubber organs gear 3. There is nothing else besides making his whole body expand. unless as previously mentioned, they power him up like a SS3 thing.. something just magical. Which cause of the previous power ups, a bit scientifical in nature, i dont think magic power up will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai View Post
    I agree. I doubt there will be a fourth gear.
    Yes this is what I was thinking as well. Rubber is a simple ingredient that really can not do that much. What Gear two and three are is about it on the ways rubber can really be used in the fighting abilities categories.
    HALO
    It's just the Metroid series remade for the Xbox crowd.
    However Samus Aran is now some unknown low ranking military personal.
    Also the space pirates worship some giant doomsday hula hoop machine.

Currently Reading
    Karakuri Circus, Mx0, Red River, Rosario+Vampire, One Piece

Nintendo Wii Friend's number

Was anyone here honestly expecting Luffy to use his DF to pump his blood faster or inflate his bones? I sure as hell wasn't expecting Luffy to do anything technical like that. As far as we know, there are many, many other things Luffy can do with his rubber state.

READ RIKI-OH
    Jink's Manga Picks
    Shamo || Vinland Saga || Mirai Nikki || Dangu || Tokyo Red Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Jink View Post
    Was anyone here honestly expecting Luffy to use his DF to pump his blood faster or inflate his bones? I sure as hell wasn't expecting Luffy to do anything technical like that. As far as we know, there are many, many other things Luffy can do with his rubber state.
    Agreed. No telling what's going through that thick skull of his. XD

Mecha Luffy! Personally I think Luffy is going to just start swallowing people..

One Piece

i thourt the conbinatino of his 2nd and 3rd was his 4th gear but if its not perhaps it will increas anothr one of his aspects

eg 2nd gear he is fast and strong his weakness is that hes small he can egsert a lot of damege but only on a small area

eg 3rd gear he is not as strong as he is with 2nd gear but his attcks r alot lager and he can hurt larger enimes with ease the drawback is that is only power by his natral strenth as in he gets no boost in strenth on is activatin

eg 4th gear cold be like what he used in the thriller bark saga were he activated both 2nd and 3rd gear at the same time in this inprovised technec he gande a large body and super human speed and streanth the way he used that tecneac was by throwing his large body at super high speed by using his 2nd gear

or perhaps im wrong and its something comleatly different or mabey there will be no 4th gear

Gear 4, An Idea

I was thinking that if gear 4 was possible then what would it be. Then I had an idea that what if gear 4 addressed to one of the weakness of Luffy's devil fruit power which is that it is vulnerable to slashing attacks.

Every attack is basically a force given a shape like blunt attacks are basically force exerted from a big area while a cutting attack is force from a very small area like the tip of the blade.

My idea is that what if Luffy could shrink himself a bit. I know what you are thinking, "shrinking? That doesn't sound that impressive to me." Well to shrink Luffy would have to compress his body making his body denser. As you can only cut stuff when the blade forces the molecules to overcome their attractive forces with each other and separate them -effectively cutting them. When you shrink you compress those molecules and make their attractive forces that much stronger that would mean that you can to some extent take a slashing attack and not get even a scratch. Luffy could even reinforce his Haki to make it even stronger. This would mean that he could even make his fists harder and pack an even more menacing punch.

Of course all of luffy's attacks have some trade off like Luffy canít maintain a full second gear for a long time and his third gear would make him chibi afterwards. So the trade here would be that he would lose his stretching ability and the ability to absorb impact as that was the property of rubber. This can go with Luffy knack of developing new attacks and his not thinking the consequences of those attacks like one time in Arlong arc he put his legs in the cement and could move afterwards. Of course Luffy could eventually learn new ways to go around the weakness like how Luffy now goes second gear to a certain part of body like just his arm to avoid using up more energy than needed, and like how in gear third he allows some part to not be inflated. He could shrink some part of his body like his skin and leave other part normal so that his skin would act like the armor that Luffy always wanted (won't he just say AWESOME?). And he could reinforce it with haki to have the same effect. In times when he is in close combat he could sacrifice his blunt defense to gain even more blunt offence plus immunity to slashing attacks which are mostly close combat.

Other effects of shrinking his body would be the raising of his body's melting and boiling point and the closer the atoms are, the more potent the forces of attraction is and the higher the melting and boiling point will be so he could even gain an immunity to fire.
    So my idea of gear 4 is the combination of strong defence and power as it hardens the body so the punches and kicks are more powerful. He really needs something to defend against too, if he encounters guys like hawkeye.

This is my suggestion, I wish that I could tell Mr. Eiichiro Oda about it but I donít know how to reach him. If you like my idea and have the means then please tell him about it.

~~~JDGear4

Quote Originally Posted by MountainLionLink View Post
    [4] son goku luffy - Luffy dons a long blond wig and shoots off energy blasts.
    Lol, i thought the exact same thing XD
    I guess he'll need to come up with something better than Gear XYZth because the 3rd already has too many drawbacks (shrinking and exhausting him)

I'm not good with science, but Luffy's next move IMO might have an equal risk to that of Gear Third. In Gear Second he gains speed and strength, in Gear Third he gains strength, but loses speed. So Gear Fourth might just be an ability that will gain Luffy speed but it makes him sacrifice strength.

Now after Luffy uses Gear Second he's very exhausted, though this can be overcome if he eats. When Luffy is done using Gear Third he shrinks. This is by far the worst after side effect of any of the Gears that Luffy has displayed. Though we don't know much about the shrunken form, it's shown that Luffy doesn't have the ability to stretch, also his strength and speed are greatly reduced in this form, not to mention he's left almost completely defenseless against an opponent.

Gear Second is the most powerful of the two we have seen so far, but the Gear Third for some reason has the worse side effects. If Gear Fourth is in fact an ability that increases speed, but sacrifices strength, then it's side effects might be similar to it's Gear Third counterpart. Though a shrunken state is unlikely after using Gear Fourth, I still believe the negative side effects of Gear Third would be similar. In some way Luffy's body would be changed and he would be left pretty much defenseless in front of a opponent if his Gear Fourth fails.

READ RIKI-OH
    Jink's Manga Picks
    Shamo || Vinland Saga || Mirai Nikki || Dangu || Tokyo Red Hood